• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If you're a target shooter, is there an advantage to having a regulator added?

Hey guys,

I'm a splatter target shooter. My .177 Benjamin Marauder does not have a regulator in it. It is shooting spot on, but I have to add air to it fairly quickly, more so than I do with my regulated guns. So, I wondered if it would be smart to add a regulator to it - Truthfully, to me, accuracy is more important than power, because to me, power ain't worth a flip if you can't hit the bullseye every time. I want it to as accurate on the 40th shot as it was on the first shots. Right now, I do a bit of "Kentucky windage" as the pressure falls up.

With that in mind, I'm thinking of adding a regulator to it. I'll probably lose some FPE (due to a velocity reduction), but, on the other hand, by having a more constant (but, lower) velocity, I'm thinkng it will shoot more accurately, for a large number of shots.

Am I correct in my thinking? I'm looking at adding a Lane regulator to it.

Bobby

I bought a new syn stock marauder with lothar walther barrel and added a huma reg and gauge on end of air tube. Have no reg gauge let them set pressure. I opened transfer all the way and adjusted hammer spring shooting over crono. Went from low 800 to 933 with h&n 10.4 with a sd of 2. At that power i get 45 shots

Wow, that's a lot of improvement.

Altaros will let you still read remaining tank pressure (like the Field and Target Marauder) while all others reads only the regulated pressure so you need to count your shots or add a quickfill manometer at the end of the tube to have both readings.

Thanks, I didn't know that existed. I emailed them asking about one for my Benjamin Marauder. One size doesn't fit all does it?

Do you know if they ship to the US?

DON'T go that route !!!!!

While it will be regulated and gauge read HP tank pressure POWER will be way down due to a super small plenum volume and efficiency will only be so so !!!

This i know first hand and not parroting what read on the net !!

Personally have regulator converted and retuned Many dozens of benji marauders for Field target use over the years.

HUMA with an integral plenum and a light weight @ 16-20 gram hammer and your GOLDEN.

Altaros will let you still read remaining tank pressure (like the Field and Target Marauder) while all others reads only the regulated pressure so you need to count your shots or add a quickfill manometer at the end of the tube to have both readings.

Out of luck, they don't make one for an m-rod. Here's their email back to me.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 10.54.43 AM.1616511360.png

Strange I bought my last Altaros Marauder REGULATOR direct from AGN member briansmith who paid $95 direct from Altaros overseas.

Not the front quickfill it's the regulator itself that Motorhead is not recommending.

I tried them ALL (brands) personally on my many different Marauders and to me in 177 I really don't care if it gets only 40-50 shots I got compressors and tanks anyway.

The HUMA seems to be the best brand however manometer only reads only reg pressure so you need to count your shots to know when to tefill plus use the tank gauge single the one on the gun won't do any more for refill.

Hi bitefift,

I would always look at tuning first buddy, Its amazing the change with internal balance going on.

I'm in the throws of a super eco tune on my .177 Fx impact, I know it's a reg but it's set at only 50 bar...Velocity is not always your best mate.

With a Spread of 7 and a Standard Dev of 2.6 on a 20 shot string, I can be out all day pulling off crazy amazing shots..... 150 yrd ding plate.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 20.54.20.1616531934.png

Some of us WORK & TUNE on air guns ...

Shot count DOES matter .... That is unless laboring on a hand pump you enjoy ? or you somehow have figured out a way in making HPA in other ways for near free or simply don't need to care ?

Point being .... EDUCATION of whats best suited to YOU !! Every body has got an opinion, self included. Just cause you READ IT ON THE WEB is a weak excuse for ones ignorance on any subject should one act blindly on it. The more you know the smarter choices you make ....

There is no soft and fuzzy way to state hard truths without offending someone ... thus is our modern times.

After we learn this lesson that a reg is needed, we then spend more money add a reg and end up needing a larger plenum and another pressure gauge etc. Then we grow up and realize that a quality air gun, although more costly up front, is infinitely less expensive than pissing away upgrade money you can never get back on a less expensive one..

I have an older .177 M-rod that Motorhead installed a regulator on and it is GREAT as Tony the Tiger would say. Currently my extreme spread is 10 with a standard deviant of 3. It has a consistent shot count of about 40 before I air it up again (I can go 50) which is nice because of the 10 shot magazine. Easy to keep track of when to air it up again.

Some of us WORK & TUNE on air guns ...

Shot count DOES matter .... That is unless laboring on a hand pump you enjoy ? or you somehow have figured out a way in making HPA in other ways for near free or simply don't need to care ?

Point being .... EDUCATION of whats best suited to YOU !! Every body has got an opinion, self included. Just cause you READ IT ON THE WEB is a weak excuse for ones ignorance on any subject should one act blindly on it. The more you know the smarter choices you make ....

There is no soft and fuzzy way to state hard truths without offending someone ... thus is our modern times.

Hey Moterhead I hope all is good in your neck of the woods buddy! I would love to pick your brain at some point if I may? BR Stig