If you were to win the RDW Maverick...

Since I was the one that actually did win the RDW Maverick, I figured I should add my 2 cents here... I still can't believe I actually won, btw! I never win stuff, but I will most definitely take that win. I think it's almost a bit poetic, since I already have a Maverick that I've been pushing to the limits, and I have no questions about what I'd do with a Maverick, lol! I'd do exactly what I've been doing, and that is modify everything I can within my ability to make the best power I can. That initially was strictly for deer hunting, since .30 air guns are legal for deer hunting here in GA. That was my entire justification for spending more money on a gun than I ever have. Otherwise, it would be a .22/.177 slug shooter all day long. I've made a couple of posts in the Hunting section about hogs I got with the Maverick .30. Those hogs were just prep and testing for deer and the .30. After all of that, I feel pretty confident that the Maverick .30 will get the job done with a well placed heart shot, and confident the gun will hit where I'm aiming. That superior heavy barrel in .30 is a laser with 54.5-65.5 NSA slugs!

Now that I'll have a second Maverick in the stable(still can't believe I'm saying that), I can leave the 'ol "camo cannon" in .30 beast mode. I think I'm going to tune the new one for .22 slugs, which it also does very well. I don't think I'll camo the second gun, but who knows, I may decide to. I do enjoy having a gun that I can lose if I set it down in the woods, hahaha! I actually shot my best 100 yard group ever with my Maverick in .22 using 36 grain slugs at 1020 fps. That was a hair under 1/2". I will be more careful on the power tuning of my new Maverick, because things will break if you push them too hard. Ask me how I know. My favorite caliber by far is the .22 shooting slugs, with the .177 shooting slugs a close second. The best part is I won't have to swap barrels to swap uses as much! The other positive is I basically use the same reg/gun settings between .22 and .177 slug shooting. I run the .22 from 40-80 fpe with 24.8-36 grain slugs, and the .177 is usually in the 40-50 fpe range with 20+ grain slugs. I can promise that this gun will get a 800mm .22 barrel when they become available. It makes power so easily, and a 65-ish fpe tune for the NSA 31.2 grain in .218 is magic with the superior heavy. You get a great shot count, and it is a dream for long range targets and pesting! Anyone who hasn't given the superior heavy and some NSA 31.2s a go, doesn't know what they're missing I tell ya!

Even though I have a real good idea of what I'll do with the new Maverick, the real moral here is, the Maverick can do almost anything you want it to do! You can take the same gun from a 20 fpe house tune to 120fpe hunting tune in 10 minutes, which is just nuts to me. 10 years ago, that kind of flexibility would have been a pipe dream, but here we are. Times are definitely good for us air gunners! Since I started playing with PCPs a few years ago, I almost never shoot my powder burners anymore. I love hunting with my Maverick, because it is quiet and I don't have to worry about an ammo shortage for the most part(given I only shoot slugs). There's a lot more challenge to it, and getting the larger critters or making the longer shots is far more rewarding for me, than with a firearm. For me, the air gun loses it's advantage when I can't make it quiet. That low noise is one of my favorite things, because I'm not broadcasting to other people and critters that I'm shooting, and I don't end up with my ears ringing.

You guys can rest assured, this winner of the RDW will use this Maverick to every bit of it's potential. I get almost as much reward tinkering on air guns as I do shooting them. I still don't think I've found the max potential of the Maverick, but more tinkering will be required to top what I have been able to do(without breaking the gun). Hopefully, I can continue to give some good tuning insight/help on here, especially with the Maverick, and to make the most of my luck here. I can't express enough how immensely thankful I am to have won such an awesome gun and accessories!!! Huge thanks to Airgun Nation, FX Airguns, Element Optics, Ken Hicks/SPAW, DonnyFL, Saber Tactical, Sportsmatch Rings UK., JSB/Predator International, H&N Sport, Nielsen Specialty Ammo, and Patchworm 20/20 Concepts! Below are a couple pictures of what this new gun can be, and happy shooting, WOOT WOOT :D :D 
DSC_5021n2.1630539786.jpg
DSC_5030n4.1630539796.jpg

Since I was the one that actually did win the RDW Maverick, I figured I should add my 2 cents here... I still can't believe I actually won, btw! I never win stuff, but I will most definitely take that win. I think it's almost a bit poetic, since I already have a Maverick that I've been pushing to the limits, and I have no questions about what I'd do with a Maverick, lol! I'd do exactly what I've been doing, and that is modify everything I can within my ability to make the best power I can. That initially was strictly for deer hunting, since .30 air guns are legal for deer hunting here in GA. That was my entire justification for spending more money on a gun than I ever have. Otherwise, it would be a .22/.177 slug shooter all day long. I've made a couple of posts in the Hunting section about hogs I got with the Maverick .30. Those hogs were just prep and testing for deer and the .30. After all of that, I feel pretty confident that the Maverick .30 will get the job done with a well placed heart shot, and confident the gun will hit where I'm aiming. That superior heavy barrel in .30 is a laser with 54.5-65.5 NSA slugs!

Now that I'll have a second Maverick in the stable(still can't believe I'm saying that), I can leave the 'ol "camo cannon" in .30 beast mode. I think I'm going to tune the new one for .22 slugs, which it also does very well. I don't think I'll camo the second gun, but who knows, I may decide to. I do enjoy having a gun that I can lose if I set it down in the woods, hahaha! I actually shot my best 100 yard group ever with my Maverick in .22 using 36 grain slugs at 1020 fps. That was a hair under 1/2". I will be more careful on the power tuning of my new Maverick, because things will break if you push them too hard. Ask me how I know. My favorite caliber by far is the .22 shooting slugs, with the .177 shooting slugs a close second. The best part is I won't have to swap barrels to swap uses as much! The other positive is I basically use the same reg/gun settings between .22 and .177 slug shooting. I run the .22 from 40-80 fpe with 24.8-36 grain slugs, and the .177 is usually in the 40-50 fpe range with 20+ grain slugs. I can promise that this gun will get a 800mm .22 barrel when they become available. It makes power so easily, and a 65-ish fpe tune for the NSA 31.2 grain in .218 is magic with the superior heavy. You get a great shot count, and it is a dream for long range targets and pesting! Anyone who hasn't given the superior heavy and some NSA 31.2s a go, doesn't know what they're missing I tell ya!

Even though I have a real good idea of what I'll do with the new Maverick, the real moral here is, the Maverick can do almost anything you want it to do! You can take the same gun from a 20 fpe house tune to 120fpe hunting tune in 10 minutes, which is just nuts to me. 10 years ago, that kind of flexibility would have been a pipe dream, but here we are. Times are definitely good for us air gunners! Since I started playing with PCPs a few years ago, I almost never shoot my powder burners anymore. I love hunting with my Maverick, because it is quiet and I don't have to worry about an ammo shortage for the most part(given I only shoot slugs). There's a lot more challenge to it, and getting the larger critters or making the longer shots is far more rewarding for me, than with a firearm. For me, the air gun loses it's advantage when I can't make it quiet. That low noise is one of my favorite things, because I'm not broadcasting to other people and critters that I'm shooting, and I don't end up with my ears ringing.

You guys can rest assured, this winner of the RDW will use this Maverick to every bit of it's potential. I get almost as much reward tinkering on air guns as I do shooting them. I still don't think I've found the max potential of the Maverick, but more tinkering will be required to top what I have been able to do(without breaking the gun). Hopefully, I can continue to give some good tuning insight/help on here, especially with the Maverick, and to make the most of my luck here. I can't express enough how immensely thankful I am to have won such an awesome gun and accessories!!! Huge thanks to Airgun Nation, FX Airguns, Element Optics, Ken Hicks/SPAW, DonnyFL, Saber Tactical, Sportsmatch Rings UK., JSB/Predator International, H&N Sport, Nielsen Specialty Ammo, and Patchworm 20/20 Concepts! Below are a couple pictures of what this new gun can be, and happy shooting, WOOT WOOT :D :D 
DSC_5021n2.1630539786.jpg
DSC_5030n4.1630539796.jpg

Congrats Donny!! Funny how you just went ahead and splurged on a high end gun being your first Maverick now what a year later (or less) now you win the ultimate Maverick! Crazy man. Glad to see you get it though. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Thanks man, you know it will get some proper use. I don't think I'll hod rod it to the point of my current Maverick, but I've never been any good at leaving anything alone, hahaha! I know exactly what the gun is capable of, but the question will come down to how I decide to use it. That's the hard part, because I've always been a "necessity" air gunner. Meaning, I don't want a bunch of guns. I only want as many guns as needed to do the jobs I want them for. That is mostly hunting and pesting, with a little extra long range target fun mixed in. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself having two super flexible guns! The gun in the pictures has proven to be very good at bringing home the bacon, and hopefully some venison too this year. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the first one tuned for all out power, and the second for more normal power levels needed in the pesting/target department.

Thanks Patrick! You're in for a treat with the NSA 31.2 in .218 with the Superior Heavy liner! That is my favorite tune for pesting and long range targets. The 27.5 also do pretty dang good, if you don't want to run as hot of a tune. The gun does run the 31.2s around 970 without even breaking a sweat though. I can already tell you that there are very few changes required between the two calibers. You can use the same reg settings, and tune the gun for .30. Then you can simply use the power wheel to back it down a bit when switching to .22. It's a 5 minute deal ;)