If you have shot a competition...

I want.to know the cheapest lead slinger that you've ever seen compete.
I feel like I've seen all of the expensive slingers.
Tell about the hidden gems(cheap) that exist/get used in competing. Be it for fun or seriousness. I'm curious as.to what else gets brought to the tables🤷‍♂️🙃
*could you take extra slingers and do more than 1 competition style?....
Could you bring extras and shoot before/after for funs?🫠

I think you should preface your question by "and scored respectably" (Edit - I guess you did when you said "Brought to the tables". My bad, I didn't notice that on my first read)...or something like that. Last year at RMAC, my son shot a Crosman 2250 Ratcatcher with an 18" barrel in the Precision Marksman Challenge, and it was powered by CO2 Powerlets. He hit less than a half-dozen total. The shooters helping him had him adjust his elevation way up, and his hold-overs were off and he couldn't get back. Such is life. I had other PCPs that he could have used, but we decided that was the best option for precision since it was so light. I have a highly modified 2240 PCP with a 580cl tank and lots of goodies that I had planned on him shooting at RAMC this year, and it looks like it won't happen :cry:. Registration is in only 10 days, and we just aren't prepared.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Witness plenty of low dollar air rifles and pistols play the FT game. Most in the hands of skilled marksmen sadly are not out of box stock units.
So one honestly needs to compartmentalize "Shooting' and Competing" as they are really different things.

At club shoots we practice for @ 30-45 minuets, then have a 54-60 shot informal FT match. While we stick with AAFTA legalities on power >20fpe you can pretty much shoot anything you want otherwise. Afterwards many will hang out and shoot other AG's of any power for giggles etc ...

Witness plenty of low dollar air rifles and pistols play the FT game. Most in the hands of skilled marksmen sadly are not out of box stock units.
So one honestly needs to compartmentalize "Shooting' and Competing" as they are really different things.

At club shoots we practice for @ 30-45 minuets, then have a 54-60 shot informal FT match. While we stick with AAFTA legalities on power >20fpe you can pretty much shoot anything you want otherwise. Afterwards many will hang out and shoot other AG's of any power for giggles etc ...
Awesome info🤙
That's some things I have been wondering about.
I wonder bc the closest competition I've seen to me was like 9 hours away(no stop driving)🥴

Id assume what the best they can afford.. me maybe a clearance Walmart gamo. Or you a 3500$ daystate or 800$ AA kinda thing.🤔

You go find match results and see what guns used are listed and make a % chart of what ends up most popular.
Like I said; I've read the results and such. Seen very few used in competing that I could afford. Honesty, my most expensive slinger....well it's a tie of 2...each were $150😅
....I always feel like the oddball when I ask these questions.😕
Nonetheless; my research of this endless rabbit hole continues 🤪🤙

Like I said; I've read the results and such. Seen very few used in competing that I could afford. Honesty, my most expensive slinger....well it's a tie of 2...each were $150😅
....I always feel like the oddball when I ask these questions.😕
Nonetheless; my research of this endless rabbit hole continues 🤪🤙
Well as they say " money talks and da BS walks". Or the " you got ta pay to play" thing..

Saddly its..

me vs the rest .png

Well as they say " money talks and da BS walks". Or the " you got ta pay to play" thing..
That's my thing. 😕
This is a hobby for me.
I'm not here to prove that I am better than anyone. I just want to better myself/possibly help others.
Money is of no use to me unless I spend it. But I can't spend ALL of my money on this hobby....I would if I could, believe that🤣
Honestly I just feel a little discriminated on sometimes bc of the fact that I stay in the shallow(cheap) end. But life has gotten me used to that so it's nothing new. 😕🤷‍♂️🤙

Reactions: MartyMcFly
At club shoots ( Piston guns ) We have had Gamos, HW's, Dianas having nearly as much fun as those shooting the Higher End springers.
Why not as much fun .... When your not hitting shots your think were good shots you get frustrated .. human nature.

( PCP's ) same deal, Gamo, SPA, Crosmans etc ... along side BSA, AA, Steyr, RAW & Thomas.

NO ONE JUDGES anyone else & actually helps them understand better what there doing to optimize what there shooting.
As the Clubs Match Director the 2 man squads are purposely set up to have the less experienced shooting with someone who is.

It is a Hobby for many and those who wish to make a sport out of it will do so.. those that could care less shoot for the fun and hanging with there buddies !!

At club shoots ( Piston guns ) We have had Gamos, HW's, Dianas having nearly as much fun as those shooting the Higher End springers.
Why not as much fun .... When your not hitting shots your think were good shots you get frustrated .. human nature.

( PCP's ) same deal, Gamo, SPA, Crosmans etc ... along side BSA, AA, Steyr, RAW & Thomas.

NO ONE JUDGES anyone else & actually helps them understand better what there doing to optimize what there shooting.
As the Clubs Match Director the 2 man squads are purposely set up to have the less experienced shooting with someone who is.

It is a Hobby for many and those who wish to make a sport out of it will do so.. those that could care less shoot for the fun and hanging with there buddies !!
See, now that's awesome!
...I just don't have access to any clubs. The only person I know around here with a lead slinger is my mom🤣🤷‍♂️
Maybe I should hang up a flyer🤔

I only shot one competition using a Streamline, .22 borrowed from Centercut 10 minutes before the event using my $10 rear bag & $45 bipod. I scored 247 beating guys who spent more on their front rest than what ALL the equipment I used had cost! It CAN be done.
That's pretty epic🤪🤙
I'm not concerned with winning. I'd just want to experience the competing. Not even take part per say. Just the atmosphere alone would probably be enough to send me into awe.🥴

That's my thing. 😕
This is a hobby for me.
I'm not here to prove that I am better than anyone. I just want to better myself/possibly help others.
Money is of no use to me unless I spend it. But I can't spend ALL of my money on this hobby....I would if I could, believe that🤣
Honestly I just feel a little discriminated on sometimes bc of the fact that I stay in the shallow(cheap) end. But life has gotten me used to that so it's nothing new. 😕🤷‍♂️🤙
Deadeye in NC shot a Maruader and won Nationals a few years ago , IT was modified , but mod's do not just happen all at once, you upgrade a part , later you upgrade another till you have a winning combo .

Deadeye in NC shot a Maruader and won Nationals a few years ago , IT was modified , but mod's do not just happen all at once, you upgrade a part , later you upgrade another till you have a winning combo .
😳Righteous🎩🤙
Oh i understand, been trying like heck to get my slingers how I want them to shoot😅

And all that equals a good time for everyone involved... Nothing worse then being in the middle of a den of snobs...... Except when your able to show them up . 😉. Kinda like i say about a professional... Hes the guy whos got to spend more money to do what the guy next to him does so to say.. ( he also comes up with the best excuses when it don't work out )..

I guess they could class a shoot as 1- poor folks 2- middle to upper middle class shooters 3- the fat cats ..lol.

• Haha
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1