• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

if you had to pick one (newbie's first PCP) to grow with...

FX Wildcat MK2 .22 or Dream-Pup .22

I was doing my research and was going to pull the trigger on the WC... No real need for anything more complex like the Impact.

But then I see the new Dream-Pup with all external adjustments and wonder if this is what the future holds.

Would you say the next gen WC is going that route? Or will it be replaced entirely by the Dreamline products?

Anyway, what drew me to these two is the smaller size and smaller air tube as I plan on using a pump for starts just to keep cost down.

The gun will be used for plinking and pesting mostly. Short range - under 50 yds. Need something real quiet too.

Appreciate any feedback to help me choose :)

Great forum

Cheers!

out of those 2 i prefer the cat. better position of the side lever. however it is not really adjustable with the power. both benefit from a moderator as the have a bit of a bark. hand pumping can get real old with these as both love shooting pellets fast. if you shoot much at all you will want a 100 cf air tank and / or compressor.. expensive , yes , but it is the nature of the beast.

to really fit your bill. you might consider a benjamin marauder , not only is this gun substantially cheaper than a cat/dreampup. it is more pump friendly. not sure of the bullpup version as to what it is called. but others know. the marauder is also quieter than either fx gun. and they cost half as much as a dreampup or cat. 

not tyring to steer you otherwise , it is just that the marauder will accomplish your need and is an adjustable gun. there are plenty of others that can explain them better than me. i just know their reputation. good luck 

I dont know if your dead set on spending 1000 dollars or not but I bought a marauder field and target. Joe broncatto installed a hammer debounce device before shipping it out to me it gets like 100 shots per fill or more at 18fpe. The regulater is very consistent but not easily adjustable. Pyramid air also has one with a lw barrel for like 550 bucks right now. Marauder mags are like 15 bucks the company is in the usa and everyone carries spare parts. You could buy a huma reg and have a very adjustable platform. Im not saying fx doesn't make a great gun but I believe they are just as accurate as fx with the lw barrels or can be after a tune. All im saying is your looking at half the price of dreamline and less hassle if something goes wrong. I think maybe they even have a 5 year warranty now. Im not sure about that check first. Jmo ive heard the dreamline is excellent but as a new airgunner the marauder might be easier to use. Its pretty much plug and play. 

I'm am definitely still new to airguns, but have quickly found out now with 4 guns in the last 3 months that you need to identify the guns primary use and work your answer from there.

The Dreamline is not going to pack the punch of the wildcat I think, but the modular design has merit if you think you may change it. I was convinced the go Wildcat over the Impact in my decision because the wildcat was less 'fiddly' and was a less expensive second hand gun. The Dreamline I would say is more fiddly than the wildcat, this could be good or bad-depends on you. I have shot a fair amount though my wildcat and it has been really nice, and just silly accurate, as I expect the Dreamline would be. Only thing I long for is more power to go along with that accuracy, so my cat is going to a friends house next week. I may end up with a DreamTac compact some day.

Either way it will NOT be your last airgun, so get whichever one you think checks off the most boxes today and definitely don't believe that FX is the ONLY gun you could ever want to own. I bought a Brocock bantam magnum today to replace my wildcat and I can not wait for the extra fpe and the larger shot count mag and bottle. But of course...I know in my soul I do want an impact still, and the dream tac, and a redwolf, and a...……...

I'll throw you a curve ball, simply because of the range you stated, the fact that you'll be using a hand pump to fill, and the fact that you want options in the future (grow with). Most importantly, you'll probably want something that will be reliable, easily tunable, and easy to repair without having to ship it back to the manufacturer every time something breaks.

Let me introduce you to the EDgun Leshiy.

1. Small air cylinder - can be topped off with a hand pump from 100 bar to 250 bar in 50 or less pumps in one sitting. Often times it'll be in the 30-40 range depending on how far down you shoot it.

2. Versatile - you can choose between 0.177 up to .357 caliber all with a barrel swap that takes less than a minute to perform. You can choose between 250mm and 350mm barrels for your specific needs. No need to buy multiple guns in multiple calibers.

3. Flexible - you want over 60 shots per fill for plinking? Choose the sub-12 ft lb kit and mate it with a 0.177 caliber and you've got over 60 shots per fill. You want to dispatch large pests at closer range? Choose the "dirty 30" 30 cal or "nasty 9" 357 cal barrel and you've got a gun that can put out 80+ ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

4. Tunability - adjustable regulator (EDgun or Huma), easily accessible hammer spring adjuster with positive clicks to help keep track of setting

5. Quiet - gun is already plenty quiet in stock form, but becomes even quieter when choosing a 350mm barrel. Plenty of accessories including the Akula silencer, DonnyFL silencer, etc should you need it. In fact, I shoot my "Dirty 30" configuration using a 350mm 30 cal barrel at 577 FPS and produce 33 ft lbs at the muzzle with a retained energy of 18 ft lbs at 55 yards and the gun is so quiet, it sounds broken. Amazing!

6. Accurate - You can absolutely get sub MOA groups with this gun. It does require tuning, so a chronograph is a must. Just yesterday I tuned mine to shoot the 30 cal Predator Polymags and am getting this accuracy.

7. Compact - one of the smallest guns on the market when folded, perfect for traveling with

8. Reliability - EDgun who makes the gun has released the entire schematics of the gun including all the parts and o-rings needed to fix and repair the gun at home. All with some simple tools. No need to ship the gun off for repair. Multiple online videos for complete tear-downs and rebuilds of the gun all over YouTube from both EdgunWest and EDgun. This gun is tough as a tank, solid piece of machined aluminum.

Check it out: www.edgunwest.com

For videos of what this gun can do: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY3nvGBPte_siJ63g6Wyuag

For info on the gun and why it’s so good:

www.edgunleshiy.com

Here's mine:

1571402716_16200977275da9b3dcd39b84.17626882_DSC_7983_s.jpg

Reactions: sonny
I am a newbie also( have a few springers but no pcp) had the same “ wants” as op when the search started, FX crown, then wildcat, dreamline. Then after many emails, pms between this sight and a couple others. I have been convinced to look else where.( Biggest thing I want , reliable well built. ) So know I believe I will get an Edgun matador 25 long, blue laminate, if he gets them back in stock before I spend the money on something else. 

I got the FX Wildcat mk2 .22 18 months ago and never looked back. It has nice feel to it, it's easy to carry around with one hand, and it's very accurate. It's a bullpup designed as a bullpup. I've considered an impact, but then I look at the Wildcat and I honestly can't think of any incentive to change. If I start shooting 100+ yards, then maybe I'll add a higher end gun, but this works at least to 60 yards which is where my main target is.

It is loud! I have a donnyfl koi on it and I took it off last week to test something and quickly put it back on. Whatever your choice, add a moderator.

@ NoLandBeyond. Yep. Very much like the Leshiy: small, quiet, seems like good quality, and if it's quiet I guess you can't go wrong ( been watching the YouTube vids) but a magazine is nice to have. Many times I wish I could reload quicker on my break barrel...

So I wouldn't say no to the Leshiy, but the WC is more enticing.

However, if it's really barking, I would try a much larger LDC than a Koi (I have it on my break barrel right now - does a good job on that rifle)

All to say we have so/too many options ;-)

The koi works fine and doesn't need an adapter to attach to the wildcat. I recently got the stx barrel liner a and installed it to try other pellets. The poi changed more than I expected, so I took the koi off and tried again. The poi was still off, but it was pretty loud. After I put the koi back on it was quiet again. I realize now the poi change makes sense and will change every time I change or adjust the barrel liner.

As all opinions this one is worth what you paid for it.

Starter gun, I like the Marauder unless you are dead set on a bullpup. Why?

• Fully adjustable. You can tune the gun as tight as you want.
  • Not too expensive to start with
  • Easy to work on. My first gun was and is a marauder. I've torn it down over and over again. So simple to learn the internals and learn how these things work.
  • Not too expensive, $500 is a decent entry point for PCP's
  • Decent trigger. That's an oddity in the cheaper guns, but it's a fully adjustable trigger that has a good feel out of the box. I've never adjusted mine and it's a good two stage that does the job.
  • Good power. At one point, my .22 was putting out about 30fpe. I've tuned down to about 22fpe to get more shots per fill. After tuning, now get 50 shots per fill.
  • Huge user base, lots of people that know the gun, good advice out there for the new shooter.
  • After market parts are all over the place. I added a regulator so my shots are now within 10fps or so. Even adding the regulator, the gun costs less than half a Dreampup
  • despite what some people say, it's accurate. out to 75 yards I have no problem getting 1 to 1.5 inch groups and I'm not that good of a shot. It's not an Impact, but I didn't expect that (my second gun is an Impact). Yes, the Impact can put out more power, but do you really need it?
  • Comes in .177, .22 and .25. I chose a .22 as a good intermediate caliber. Works extremely well
  • Mine is about 8 years old. The newer barrels Crosman is making are supposed to be Lothar Walther accuracy. Mine is very accurate.

Firm believer in the Marauder. It's just a solid starter gun that will last decades and shoot very well. Great learning program

Good luck on your choice

I would be careful. Buying an FX could leave a bad taste in your mouth as a first timer. They seem to have far to many issues. If you want to spent that kind of money go with a Brocock compatto. Otherwise my vote would be for a Marauder.

Heed the above, especially as a first timer. The Brococks are solid and depending on the model, externally adjustable. Also on the Sniper HR in .22 you do not need an LDC. It’s very quiet right out the box.