• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If you had to choose between AGT Uragan or JSAR Raptor

this is one of those fun times when you contemplate getting a new gun. these are my two choices. i'm probably going 30 cal , but no matter , these guns go many calibers. so , if you had no problem with funds , which do you get? some shooters have one of these currently but those who don't could look them up on specs and give their thoughts. 

so , which do you favor ? and why? I put this up because i am currently deadlocked on this.

I'm looking into the Raptor simply because it's made right here and the simplicity of tuning and caliber changes! The tensioned barrel system is another big + for accuracy and tuning...

The Uragan looks to be a fantastic rifle too but I've got my eyes set on a Raptor for 2020...and I'm probably going to order it as a .20 cal....lol.

James from Michigan 

Well, I've had a Raptor for about 5 weeks. I've posted my thoughts all over AGN. (I LIKE IT. A LOT.)

I shot about half a tin today on one and a half tank fills. (Very efficient).

These three shots were the last group of the day. From field target position, sitting on a bum bag, @ 55 yards. (For perspective, that thing in the upper left is the tip of twoish inch long nail that holds my cardboard backer and paper in place). JSB 13.73 averaging 835fps, so about 21.5 fpe.

1578200256_15819657055e116cc0c65845.21020125_IMG_20200104_171449.jpg

Normally I shoot more than 3 shot groups, but I felt like ending on a high note so quit while I was ahead. 

The Uragan also looks quite intriguing, but I don't own one.

If I was on the fence, the product support offered by the JSAR gang is just tremendous and might be the deciding factor for me. AGT may have good post-purchase support as well, but I've personally been very impressed with JSAR. 

The owner of JSAR told me that even the high powered versions (since you're talking .30) have the deadness to the shot when I remarked to him about how calm of a gun it is to shoot. Something to do with the balanced valve. 

I've had the Prototype for a few weeks now. Trigger, Unreal! and yet JSAR wasnt' satisfied. All new guns will ge fitted with a very different trigger mechanism. 5 way adjustable. Mine being aprototype, only hastwo. and it is already outstanding I shoot in ounces, not lbs.

A true drop sear, oh lordy the valve. It uses very little force to cock the hammer as it doesn't take much to fire it. and it is a miser on shot count even though I only shoot slugs. I have a VERY hot rodded Rainstorm II that is powerful. The little Mini came out of the box, with "MORE". And I have done everything imaginable too the Rainstorm..Opened the valve entrance, Enlarged the interior, smaller valve stem, a peek poppet, dual springs, larger thru porting, longer bbl, and the little mini puts it on the trailer. (drag racing slang).

I installed a .223 barrel and oh boy is it accurate. How is this for a first outing.

Now that it is broken in, and following a bit of advice from Matt Dubber, it is now shooting groups less that half this size. Lots of shots in this group. In the cross wind no less with my own hand cast slugs. The barrel is an ultra light barrel and still it shoots like a bull barrel bench Gun. With this barrel, sans scope it weighs in a 4 1/2 lbs!

Yet still has a near dead shot cycle. I would love to shoot a full size with a heavy barrel Probably totally boring. LOL Yep, that is 60 slugs in that group! Even more impressive, I shoot left handed. Hurt my wrist, so shot these right handed. Yep, the light trigger got me. LOL. Not an issue at all shooting the way I normally do. 

As I stated above, with Matts trick, the groups are now less than half this. And yes, i forgot to watch the reg. pressure. That shots per psi is from a 88 cf bottle. ;<) I did swap out the light weight 200 cc bottle for a 500 cc I had here. The mini comes with a 380 cc cf bottle. but different can be ordered for it instead.f

KnifeMaker

1578204498_7035111765e117d5299ba39.30267645_01-DSC02467.JPG
1578204533_18336420405e117d7544b387.06578335_1-DSC02498.JPG

Having a somewhat insider access to the think tank at JSAR have come away with knowledge and a few of the parts and pieces to manufacture my own balanced valves, hammer configurations and also furthered the R&D on Transfer port tricks that alter the tune & efficiency of these JSAR RAPTOR PCP's.

Personally possess a WAR WarP that with some creative alterations is running many of the RAPTOR internal design parts and pieces. While not able to completely emulate what is a RAPTOR, do get a very good idea on the awesome potential in play .... Really AWESOME !!!

If you like cutting edge tech ? .... Pay attention to what JSAR is cooking.

Scott S

I personally didn't like the looks of them at first but then it kinda grew on me ...... after shooting this it pretty much makes my cricket .25 carbine seem sub-standard to put it mildly and as of right now I don't have the adjustable reg or the upgraded trigger but soon will and I'm sure I will be supporting this made in America Co with more orders.

Robert

Uragan all day. I won't buy anything from JSAR ever again.

yes , please explain. the whole purpose of this post is to get thorough examination and information about these two robust guns. which is my intention. your comment gives me the feel that you suffered from service failure. if so what happened? most common complaint i heard was failure to respond to calls / emails in a quick manner. i understand your irritation if that was what it was , but i'm only really interested in the guns options / performance in comparison to the uragan . if you own one i would be interested in your observations.

I'd opt for the JSAR for several reasons:

1: balanced valve/high efficiency design

2: ease of swapping barrels

3: I'm a veteran so 10% discount- JSAR appreciates prior service

4: active involvement on forums and good communication/feedback

5: a US company building airguns that I can afford and designed out of the box to shoot slugs and pellets depending on barrel (see 2 above)

6: pretty much a hand-made PCP made to order

The Raptor is on my "short list" despite:

1: I hate bottle guns

2: I hate tacticool/modular 

If it came with a tube-version, I'd have already ordered it in .22 (since .22 slugs are plenty for anything I'm chasing). Feature-wise, I don't think there are too many other PCPs offering the same amount of features as the Raptor at the same price.

I got a .30 Uragán as the Raptor began to first ship. I love the Uragán. 

I admire what the Raptor is made of. It’s, in my mind, an evaluation of American modifications. A lot of testing, trial and error has lead to the Raptor. It’s the refined product. The reg situation (not sure where that’s at currently) was a bit of a turnoff for me. I wouldn’t want to buy a gun in hopes or with a agreement that a better reg would be shipped later. 

I may still get a Raptor but I do greatly prefer bullpups. 

I got a .30 Uragán as the Raptor began to first ship. I love the Uragán. 

I admire what the Raptor is made of. It’s, in my mind, an evaluation of American modifications. A lot of testing, trial and error has lead to the Raptor. It’s the refined product. The reg situation (not sure where that’s at currently) was a bit of a turnoff for me. I wouldn’t want to buy a gun in hopes or with a agreement that a better reg would be shipped later. 

I may still get a Raptor but I do greatly prefer bullpups.

Regulators are here now. JSAR shared a picture two days ago and they shipped Dillon one already!

I have an Uragan in .22 and it's performing very well so far. I got it because I'm not interested in tuning as much as I used to be. From Charlie @ Georgia Airguns, right out of the box its been a shooter (in another thread I posted a couple groups I shot when I got the gun home if you want to check it out). If I get the wind right I simply cannot miss at extended ranges. Everything about the gun is solid. For example removing the shroud to clean the barrel, screwing the moderator on/off (a Sumo), bumping the barrel and through all that it has continued to hold the same zero. Also the looks and shot count of the Uragan drew me in.

The Raptor looks like its making waves right now and seems to be a good shooter. Even though I'm not a huge fan of its looks (very Frankenstein-y), it might be my next big airgun purchase in the distant future if I do get back into tuning. The valving in the gun is definitely interesting. Don't think you can go wrong with either one in terms of accuracy; really just depends on what you're looking to do with it.

I ordered a Raptor mini and have been reading every article I come across. I do have some concerns with the guns being so new, what will I end up with revision 1 or ? Rethinking I am of the type that would have preferred to wait till a model is proven. When I read "my gun is great but this is not the parts your will have" I worry. Also I have emailed 4 times called 3 and have not been helped. So my confidence for any service is gone.

There’s just not much information out there on the Raptor except manufacturer, manufacturers testers, and a few independent reports like @franklink custom .20 caliber. I’d wait a while until we see reviews and comments on them in various calibers from actual buyers in various calibers. I like the design of the Raptor with the large plenum that makes the new Impact power plenum look puny by comparison and the high tech balanced valve. Not a fan of how far out the bottle is due to the paintball style regulator between the bottle and breech/tube.

The Uragan is a very good gun not much different than the proven Vulcan2 except bottle instead of tube, and different regulator (which has been problematic in some guns). Which is odd, since the Vulcan tube reg is one of best in the business. And every Vulcan/Vulcan2/Uragan I’ve shot has been a laser

Neither gun has been proven in competition. Pellets or slugs? Uragan for pellets, Raptor for slugs...