If you could only have 1 springer air rifle, what would you choose?

No contest. HW97K in .20. Accuracy is incredible. POI shifts are extremely rare over time and conditions. Very little maintenance required.

I have migrated somewhat away from springers in recent years, selling off most of my springer collection, including the.AA variants, Walters, and several very nice and accurate Weihrauch break barrels. The only three I have hung on to are the 97/77 series rifles for the reasons mentioned above.
In sub 12ft power?

HW77 long equipped as this
FED1BC8F-1623-49A8-95A7-670E1EA9CFAD.jpeg

Hopefully I will never have to think of having just one, but for versatility the Dual Magnum has to be way up there. Although not a true "springer" it can be used at 2 different power levels. You can have it as low as 12fpe and with a simple second stroke of the underlever, 20fpe. You can also use it at 24fpe & 36fpe (first & second stroke) if left at factory "high pressure" or anywhere in between that suits your needs.

Beeman & Theoben versions.
400 Dual Magnums.JPG

I'm not sure what I'd choose if I was limited to one 🤔

Would I go with one of the HW97's or the more utilitarian HW95? ...Or one of my Diana 54's? Then there's my awesome 460, but the K98 is better for open sight shooting. Can't forget about the 470TH either, which is a beastly beauty. Then again, the D34 is fantastic at 12ftlbs and I don't worry about scuffs or dings when I'm out and about. The D350 is like the 34 but more powerful and uses a front globe sight. I have one tuned down to 15ftlbs and one currently at 18-19ftlbs (both .177's), have pushed that one just shy of 23ftlbs during testing... Then I have a Gamo springer, yes I said a GAMO, which has had a nicer wood stock fitted. The fibre optic sights are actually decent on this rifle. It has given me zero issues and is probably my favorite plinker, maybe not the most accurate on paper but can reliably smack steel targets and tins/pop cans easily out to 80 yards with those open sights. Don't really care what folks feelings are towards Gamo, the fun to price ratio is outstanding, recommend just get one with a 25mm piston though, Lol...

I could carry on and on (...and on) as I have a "few" springers. In short, I have no idea which I'd choose if limited to 'just one'. If the theoretical question "if the house was burning" was asked, I'd just grab one and make it work 😁

Reactions: fishing43
Hopefully I will never have to think of having just one, but for versatility the Dual Magnum has to be way up there. Although not a true "springer" it can be used at 2 different power levels. You can have it as low as 12fpe and with a simple second stroke of the underlever, 20fpe. You can also use it at 24fpe & 36fpe (first & second stroke) if left at factory "high pressure" or anywhere in between that suits your needs.

Beeman & Theoben versions.
View attachment 432759
I’m envious of your Dual Magnums, but the problem I’d have with them as an only springer is that they’re so collectible that I would be hesitant to use them in anything but nice weather and good conditions. They’re not the kind of rifle you’re going to take out in rain or the mud or leave behind the seat of your truck while you get lunch in a sketchy area.

I’m envious of your Dual Magnums, but the problem I’d have with them as an only springer is that they’re so collectible that I would be hesitant to use them in anything but nice weather and good conditions. They’re not the kind of rifle you’re going to take out in rain or the mud or leave behind the seat of your truck while you get lunch in a sketchy area.

No one said anything about using in the mud, rain etc. TBH, I don't use ANY of my rifles in those conditions. I'm simply mentioning it's unrivaled versatility in the piston gun category in terms of ultimate power and or power range for factory offered rifles. I personally could not imagine half of the people/guns listed in this thread using their items in that manner...

Last edited:
Reactions: scottblair
Noone said anything about using in the mud, rain etc. TBH, I don't use ANY of my rifles in those conditions. I'm simply mentioning it's unrivaled versatility in the piston gun category in terms of ultimate power and or power range for factory offered rifles. I personally could not imagine half of the people/guns listed in this thread using their items in that manner...
Here in the Puget Sound region rain is just the norm 6-8 months a year. It's currently drizzling and will likely be doing so all day. We don't often get the drenching downpours that some regions of the country do, but we'll get light rain that just goes on and on for days at a time.

I have to take exception to honorable member Greenarrow. There is no easier rifle to work on than a tx200. Also the parts are as close by as pyramid air.
And it's the only full power springer I'm aware of that has such little spring pre-load that it can be taken apart and reassembled without a spring compressor.