If you could only have 1 springer air rifle, what would you choose?

R9 Scope.jpg

This lefty R9 is my favorite. It has a tuned action including a buttoned piston, Maccari premium grade walnut stock with Jan Kraner checkering JM muzzle brake, brass trigger guard, brass screw cups, setback trigger, sight cover plate, etc. Best part is that it shoots as good as it looks; 907 fps with JSB 8.44s with aspirin sized groups at 25 yards with only a "thunk" sound.

Last edited:
It depends on what you need it for. Competition Air Arms TX200 or Weihrauch HW97 in .177 where weight is less of a concern. Hunting/pesting Weihrauch HW98 in .22 or HW95; same gun in two different configurations. HW80 if you want more power but it's heavier and with a harsher shot cycle. .20 is option too but it limits your ammo now, and I don't think it will get better in the future. I prefer lead-free and Predator GTO's are the best and they are only available in .177, .22 and .25. Plinking prefer a lower power rifle that is easy to cock like Weihrauch like HW30 or HW50 in .177. Wall art I would go with Air Arms Pro Sport or Weihrauch HW35 E.

Last edited:
It depends on what you need it for. Competition Air Arms TX200 or Weihrauch HW97 in .177 where weight is less of a concern. Hunting/pesting Weihrauch HW98 in .22 or HW95; same gun in two different configurations. HW80 if you want more power but it'e heavier and with a harsher shot cycle. .20 is option too but it limits your ammo now, and I don't think it will get better in the future. Plinking you would prefer a lower power rifle that is easy to cock like Weihrauch like HW50 .177. Wall art Air Arms Pro Sport or Weihrauch HW35 E.
There's only 5 choices of .20 pellets in every store I checked in uk online

Reactions: allan_wind
Not at all, plenty of .20 pellets. Larger wound channel than a .177, not as loopy as a .22.View attachment 431522
Does it reach higher FPS than a .22
Someome compared them and the .20 was going 610 fps and .22 went 610fps too. Might be different on the other pellets but wouldn't that give the .20 less hitting power than the .22 as they're the same fps

Does it reach higher FPS than a .22
Someome compared them and the .20 was going 610 fps and .22 went 610fps too. Might be different on the other pellets but wouldn't that give the .20 less hitting power than the .22 as they're the same fps
20 cal isn't much faster than 22 in the same gun. Most 20 cal pellets are similar weight as 22 and the smaller bore is less efficient. I have had 20 cal barrels on my R1. With no other changes the 22 cal barrels make a foot pound more energy than the 20 cal. That foot pound eats up the velocity difference pretty well. Depending on pellet the 22 is within 10 or 15 fps of the 20.

I've had similar results with the two calibers in my HW95 family guns.

HTHs

Reactions: Greenarrow