• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If you could imagine the perfect FT springer ...

Imagine? did that and built it

TX200, in a Lucas Parsely stock with a Nightforce scope on top. Dead nuts action setting in whats to me very close to ergonomic perfection and a scope that has a great reticle and will resolve 1/2 distances.

Downside to such a setup is it shows how much I need to improve :)

1. Picatinny rail
2. Supertune by Vendor part of the price
3. Trigger Shoe
4. swivels for sling (probably more for hunting)
5. Gold plated trigger
6. All metal construction
7. Sound moderator
8. Walnut stock with hand checkering
9. 10 year payment plan with low interest.
number 9 ,number 9 number 9

Imagine? did that and built it

TX200, in a Lucas Parsely stock with a Nightforce scope on top. Dead nuts action setting in whats to me very close to ergonomic perfection and a scope that has a great reticle and will resolve 1/2 distances.

Downside to such a setup is it shows how much I need to improve :)

Dan
You got pictures?

Tony Leach set up?

--
My dream FT springer
1. Norica Omnia stock (modified for FT) with a TX 200 action (as stated above Picatinny rail on top). Built-in wind flag and inclinometer. Adjustable hamster and Butt hook
2. (unicorn FT scope?) March type scope (March quality, reliability, repeatability, minimal temperature shift, without the March price tag). 10 yard min focus ...Max Magnification of?16X? able to distinguish a minimum of 0.25 yards increments between 40-55 yards.
3. Adjustable gas ram within the TX200 action. Maybe you can have multiple Rams (one for 7.87 grain, one for 8.44 grains, one for 10.34 grains...for different wind conditions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Billinoregon
No Pics.. Ill try to remember to take and post some

No Leach kit, just a vortek (vortex?) 12 ft lb spring. need to shoot ti some more to settle the spring a little more. When this spring croaks, then I'll get the Leach kit
Good luck getting hold of one Dan. Between TL’s health problems and materials shortages they are and have been in pretty short supply. Uj

1. TX200 ease of disassembly and looks. Piston should be easily removable without tools beyond an Allen key.
2. Unchocked LW barrel for accuracy and possible light slug use.
3. TL type of piston design but adapted for up to 15 FPE. Possibly upgradable to a Theoben gas ram design for 20 FPE power. Iris transfer port for adjusting power and pellet tuning.
4. Adjustable cheek piece and hamster attachment point.
5. Built in moderator with air stripper
6. Ambidextrous loading port like HW97
7. Picatinny top rail
8. Sleded action similar to Diana 56 or TX200SR
9. Glass bedded stock with sorbothane washers on screw contact points, pillared hex screws. And sorbothane pad inside the stock at back of action to further reduce recoil.
10. Rowan Engineering type of adjustable trigger.

-Marty

Reactions: mh and JP806TX
Oh this is easy...... it's as simple as a 12fpe FWB300s.

Great trigger? Check.
Superb accuracy? Check.
Well built? Check.
Ease of teardowns/rebuilds? Check.
Great ergos for offhand? Check.
Sufficient weight for ft? Check.
UIT/Anshutz female adapter for Hamster? Check.

Only one small problem.....FWB300s don't make 12fpe. BUMMER.

1. TX200 ease of disassembly and looks. Piston should be easily removable without tools beyond an Allen key.
2. Unchocked LW barrel for accuracy and possible light slug use.
3. TL type of piston design but adapted for up to 15 FPE. Possibly upgradable to a Theoben gas ram design for 20 FPE power. Iris transfer port for adjusting power and pellet tuning.
4. Adjustable cheek piece and hamster attachment point.
5. Built in moderator with air stripper
6. Ambidextrous loading port like HW97
7. Picatinny top rail
8. Sleded action similar to Diana 56 or TX200SR
9. Glass bedded stock with sorbothane washers on screw contact points, pillared hex screws. And sorbothane pad inside the stock at back of action to further reduce recoil.
10. Rowan Engineering type of adjustable trigger.

-Marty
Marty
Are you sure you want a sliding sled design VS the Norica Omnia’s design ?

Because with the sliding sled design (RWS 54,TX200SR,FWB300) they all take the scope on a double recoil ride (granted on the FWB 300 it’s a softer ride…). You’ll need some sort of recoil absorbing mount or a springer rated scope for a scope to survive.

Even a well tuned sub12 FPE competition springer like the RWS 54 can eat scopes. (With a recoil absorbing mount …I saw it during a Grand Prix)

Last edited:
Reactions: mh
Marty
Are you sure you want a sliding sled design VS the Norica Omni’s design ?

Because with the sliding sled design (RWS 54,TX200SR,FWB300) they all take the scope on a double recoil ride (granted on the FWB 300 it’s a softer ride…). You’ll need some sort of recoil absorbing mount or a springer rated scope for a scope to survive.

Even a well tuned sub12 FPE competition springer like the RWS 54 can eat scopes. (With a recoil absorbing mount …I saw it during a Grand Prix)
I like the Norica design and the first examples I saw were built around a TX200. However, it is patented and Norica probably has an exclusive right to it. Also it appears to be a bit bulky. Using a sled there is no worry about patent infringement. Regarding the scope issue and recoil, I think that can be solved with a better scope😃. Just dreaming, but there are no technical barriers to the above specs…

PS. I would add 11 - A dead blow piston head (as in dead blow hammer) to reduce possibility of piston bounce.

PSS. Throw in some new materials science into the pot, such as Teflon coated compression tube, an ultra high molecular weight plastic for the spring guide or piston parts (for vibration absorption), rare earth magnet for the lever latch to reduce barrel tension. I could go on…😁

-Marty

Last edited:
Reactions: JP806TX
Marty
Are you sure you want a sliding sled design VS the Norica Omni’s design ?

I so want a sub 12 54 to try at FT. I was told I could take the factory spring take one coil off each end and be around 12 or a little less. I think the key would be to find a good one piece mount and a solid scope that I could dial because I would try it in open class. What mount would you recommend?

Jon

Reactions: JP806TX and mh
I so want a sub 12 54 to try at FT. I was told I could take the factory spring take one coil off each end and be around 12 or a little less. I think the key would be to find a good one piece mount and a solid scope that I could dial because I would try it in open class. What mount would you recommend?

Jon
Be careful what you wished for.
I've been down that rabbit hole. There are reasons why there are not too many RWS 54 in Field Target competitions. Most of these RWS 54 are highly modified. It's a relatively complex shooting platform with moving parts that comes out of adjustment if not monitored and/or modified. Ray Apelles and Hector Medinas are two with some level of success that immediately comes to mind. (Edit) Scott Hull was another one who shot a Chinese side lever then a RWS 54 (2012-2018?again highly modified with a heavy barrel?). He has since switched to PCP.

Hope Ray is ok. Haven't seen his name in major competition results in the last 2 years. He shot this highly modified RWS below (with an electronic trigger).
1689862154419.png

Hector ...last he posted was after the North Carolina Classic. Another highly modified RWS 54 with a Diana bull-eyes anti-recoil mount. I think he posted that he might be switching to a Walther LGU? Apologies if I used photos without permission.
1689862300073.png

Nitrocrushr did a pretty comprehensive write up chasing down POI shifts for his RWS 54. I don't think his experience is the norm for RWS 54 but it's good information for those of us who own a RWS 54.

Yes it can be done. If I was younger, I would give this platform a serious look.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Trying to make that my motto in my advanced years.

Last edited: