If you can start over knowing what you know now, what Rifle and caliber would you buy.

Probably the only thing I would have changed would be to not start so slowly. I originally had a springer, that lasted for 3 or 4 years. Then I got the Crosman P1322 and spent a year or two tweaking it and playing around with variants. Then I got an Edgun Leshiy 2.

In hind-sight I would have skipped the springer and 1322, and got an Edgun Leshiy (1st model), back when they were available in Canada.

My favorite gun or guns, after owning quite a few, love my Redwolfs, have 2 ,one in 177 and one in .22, both with Heliboards, fantastically adjustable and pellet on pellet accurate. Also enjoy my Uragan in .22, also shoot my RAW TM1000 in 20cal regularly at comps. Very accurate. Recently bought a Snowpeak P35, fitted a 177 CZ barrel and Huma reg, fun little budget gun. I sometimes get the itch to buy a springer, but then I go lie down until the feeling passes!

Reactions: jmohme
I wouldn’t change a thing. Started with a marauder and ended with FX. Right away I realized PCP’s were useless without an air source so a compressor was immediately on the list, and if I got burnt out from this hobby snd sold everything, the compressor stays.

Knowing what I know now I would’ve stocked up on a pellet that is no longer available. Discontinued. Still upsets me that they’re not available. If I had known they were going away I would’ve spent a couple thousand $$ if not more on them and been stocked up for life and my sons life when he inherits my hobby.

Reactions: RM100GUY
I wouldnt change a thing.
I started out with a cheap off the shelf PCP just to see if I would like it. I did.

Next i started researching, looking for an accurate 100 yard air gun, but a need arose for a gun to deal with medium size pests, so my search paramaters temporarily shifted ang I decided on a TalonP in .25.
It served its purpose with the added benefit of being a boat load of fun. Would do it again.

Search resumed for a target gun. Decided on a .22 RTI and am quite satisfied with my choice.

Bottom line, do your homework and decide from there. Dont go by flashy adds, looks, or unrealistic claims. Find the facts and choose what fits your needs.

Reactions: L.Leon
My reply is less specific, not about a rifle or brand. Coming from powder burners and my only air rifle being break barrel, I wanted to start in PCP with a semi auto. Spent a lot of time looking at Steyr, and others. Eventually my first PCP purchase was the SK-19.
In the time it took for that to be delivered (6 months?) I jumped on a Benjamin Kratos, and a SAM Marauder.

The SK-19 is amazing, but the more I shoot all my PCPs (now, like most of you, I have a collection) I find I really prefer all my side levers to the semi autos. I literally do not shoot the Semi marauder (for a lot of reasons) and only occasionally bring out the SK-19. I much prefer shooting the Kratos, Pro 500, and my latest, the Daystate Revere.

if i could have nothing else id want a prod .. most useful gun around the home there is, and worth every penny .. but i dont have to have just one lol .. i dont really want a glam gun to impress people and im more into modding a cheap gun than spending 3 grand on one .. caliber is a no brainer for pesting or plinking .22 or .17 premeirs .. if i need larger its for big critters that are far between and a tin of pellets lasts a year ..

Reactions: BackStop
🔸 Well, had I known at the beginning of my fall down the rabbit hole what I know now... —
I might have wanted to buy a mid quality PCP.
Instead of a low quality springer. With a totally inappropriate scope packaged with it — I had to replace that with an airgun scope very shortly.

🔸 But it's not enough simply "knowing what you know now" — there is more needed: "getting used to spending high dollar amounts"!! 🤣
And that, my dear friends, neither I nor my better half were used to....

So, yeah, buying that bottom-of-the-barrel springer was a good start — to find out exactly what I did NOT WANT in an airgun.

🔸 After over a year of
• soul searching,
• internet researching,
• contemplating my shooting scenarios, and
• massaging my mind to get used to higher sticker prices...
— I was ready for my next purchase.
It was already a much much better gun, and a much much better scope.

Both are still with me. Because they have the features I want in a gun and a scope.
• Gun: A short and good-looking gun, mid-powered for hunting = Diana Skyhawk in .22cal
• Scope: fairly high top end magnification, wide FoV on bottom end, FFP, 10mil turrets, revolution counters, clean hold-off reticle, IR = Falcon S18i 3-18x50

🔸The only reason I'm looking to replace them now is that since then I have fallen so many stories deeper into the AG rabbit hole that I'm looking for something better now. For much more money.... 🤦‍♂️

Again: This was a process (the falling down the hole).
➔ So, the OP asked:
"If you can start over knowing what you know now, what would you buy?"
➔ He could reword it like this:
"If you could start over, but being already at the depth down the rabbit hole you are now at, what would you buy?

Matthias 😉

PS: We're all doomed.
And a thread like this will tell newcomers to ditch with "carefully climbing down the rabbit hole".
Instead: "Do not use any safety harnesses" and "DO DIVE DOWN HEAD FIRST!!"

Last edited:
🔸 Well, had I known at the beginning of my fall down the rabbit hole what I know now... —
I might have wanted to buy a mid quality PCP.
Instead of a low quality springer. With a totally inappropriate scope packaged with it — I had to replace that with an airgun scope very shortly.

🔸 But it's not enough simply "knowing what you know now" — there is more needed: "getting used to spending high dollar amounts"!! 🤣
And that, my dear friends, neither I nor my better half were used to....

So, yeah, buying that bottom-of-the-barrel springer was a good start — to find out exactly what I did NOT WANT in an airgun.

🔸 After over a year of
• soul searching,
• internet researching,
• contemplating my shooting scenarios, and
• massaging my mind to get used to higher sticker prices...
— I was ready for my next purchase.
It was already a much much better gun, and a much much better scope.

Both are still with me. Because they have the features I want in a gun and a scope.
• Gun: A short and good-looking gun, mid-powered for hunting = Diana Skyhawk in .22cal
• Scope: fairly high top end magnification, wide FoV on bottom end, FFP, 10mil turrets, revolution counters, clean hold-off reticle, IR = Falcon S18i 3-18x50

🔸The only reason I'm looking to replace them now is that since then I have fallen so many stories deeper into the AG rabbit hole that I'm looking for something better now. For much more money.... 🤦🏻‍♂

Again: This was a process (the falling down the hole).
➔ So, the OP asked:
"If you can start over knowing what you know now, what would you buy?"
➔ He could reword it like this:
"If you could start over, but being already at the depth down the rabbit hole you are now at, what would you buy?

Matthias 😉

PS: We're all doomed.
And a thread like this will tell newcomers to ditch with "carefully climbing down the rabbit hole".
Instead: "Do not use any safety harnesses" and "DO DIVE DOWN HEAD FIRST!!"
So what you’re saying there’s no salvation for us ? I like that 👍🏼 So if I fall into the the rabbit home what should be my next rifle 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I wouldn’t change a thing. Started with a marauder and ended with FX. Right away I realized PCP’s were useless without an air source so a compressor was immediately on the list, and if I got burnt out from this hobby snd sold everything, the compressor stays.

Knowing what I know now I would’ve stocked up on a pellet that is no longer available. Discontinued. Still upsets me that they’re not available. If I had known they were going away I would’ve spent a couple thousand $$ if not more on them and been stocked up for life and my sons life when he inherits my hobby.
Crosman brown box?

Still not sure what PCP I would buy, but it would DEFINITELY be in .177 as I simply don't need anything more.

Oh, and it would definitely be a PCP or multipump (if the multipump was quiet enough). Now where is that potato and oil filter?

(chuckle)

p.s.

One thing I would have changed is I would NOT have bought the Nova Vista Freedoms (onboard pumps).

I would have bought the Nova Vista Liberty(s).

Still like the simple turn of a knob to go from ~12fps to ~20fpe and tack driver accuracy/precision from both with cheap CPUM pellets! (smile)

Last edited:
I don't think I'd change a thing. I bought the very best equipment I could afford at the time I decided I wanted to buy. I've progressed from a Benji 397, bought new in '96. In 2014, I bought my Marauder. In 2021 I bought my Dreamline. It's been a slow burn and I still have and shoot all of these guns, though the Dreamline is most often the gun I shoot. If the progression in my pattern of buying guns holds true, I predict another purchase in about 3 years. Plenty of time to figure out what I want next.

I have waffled more times than I can count. Never went past 25, but I have had many rifles and I'm now just keeping my kral bottle guns I built. Easy to work on, powerful enough for what I need, accurate to my ranges. Keeping one in 177, 22, and 25. Everything else is going bye bye. Only other rifle I'm keeping is my kral mega mini carbine in 22 for my walking around gun. Mainly shoot the 177 and 22 bottle guns now since they shoot crosman HP very well and its cheap and easy on my compressor since i fill them once a month. Getting 250 shots at 12.5 fpe in 177, 100 shots at 32 fpe with the 22. Im just keeping the 25 for anything bigger than squirrels. 50 fpe for 50 shots is plenty for what I go after.