• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If you can start over knowing what you know now, what Rifle and caliber would you buy.

I have a modified FX Impact M3 with .22 & .25 Superior barrels in 700mm and .22 and .25 BSA hammer forged 600mm barrels.
This gives me best use of Impact.

Further I have a modified RAW HM1000X in .22 with BSA hammer forged barrel and a modified RAW HM1000X .25 with original polygonal barrel and an additional. .25 BSA hammer forged barrel.

I feel that I have got the best combination of guns and barrels as per my liking.

Bhaur
View attachment 295802View attachment 295805
How much more juice are you getting more out of your modified RAW mine is a 25 new no mods but with that poligonal barrel it’s asking for more power to push those slugs.

How much more juice are you getting more out of your modified RAW mine is a 25 new no mods but with that poligonal barrel it’s asking for more power to push those slugs.
I can achieve a bit more than 1000 fps with 34 grain jsb .25 pellets and 990 fps with .22 25 grain jsb redesigned.

If I keep the OEM power that is around 900 fps with 34 grain .25 pellets, I achieve 80 good shots.

Regards,

Bhaur

Reactions: Recarga
There are so many different rifles for different purposes. For me, and the majority of my use, if I could only pick one, it would be my FX Crown MK2 in .22. It is extremely accurate with pellets and slugs and .22 caliber pellets are plentiful and there is a great variety from which to choose.
If I’m allowed a second rifle it would be an HW30s in .177. I absolutely love my little HW30 as a backyard plinker. It is probably the most used rifle in my collection.
Ok, if I get three then my HW97K .177 will make the cut. Another great rifle that is super accurate and fun to shoot.
Kenny

Boy that is a loaded question depending on purpose and if you have a setup to fill like a tank or compressor. Not to mention considerations like mag, ammo prices, and shot count are a concern to you. I personally prefer a mag and reasonable amount of ammo for cost. I also like to tinker, but like scopes and guns that can perform right out of the box without it.

For small to med game and target=.30 cal impact

Target specific= 22 to 25 cal impact, crown or maybe an edgun. My guns revolve more around hunting so take this with a grain of salt.

Big game only= western rattler, aea, airforce, or aaa slayer.

Still like to older AA rifles which tend to go 10-20 years before needing any internal maintenance. Almost the same for say the FX Tarantula.
Not the same (springer) but I SHOULD have purchase a 3 barrel Whiscombe for $1,300.
I really thin having a budget squirrel rifle and attend several FT shoots and firing over 100 different airguns from a 6g pistol to a USFT to Career 707 to several FWB's, Stealth/AF, repeat ....... Really made purchasing "right" for me the 1st time a much better experience than say watching odd youtube videos.
It was well worth a 4 hour drive to test 20-30 different rigs in a weekend.

John

With springers, I started off with a RWS Diana M48 in .177cal back in 1996. I then picked up a Diana M34 in .22cal maybe back in 2013. I really should've started off with a AA TX200 or Weihrauch HW97K. With PCPs', I've done my research and I wouldn't really change a thing. They have been advancing in technology and still are so it's hard to say.

Reactions: Airgnr_Ind
Well i actually bought my 1st pcp in 2012 a aa ev2 but didn’t get to compete much cause of a job change. Ahead to when the maverick came out i bought 2 a 177 & a22 with a 30 cal barrel. Loved the 22 hated the 177 and the 30 was ok. Have a crossman and a wolverine too but wasn’t happy with shot count. Traded the maves for a red wolf 177 and am happy with that bought a revere 177 shoots almost as well as the red wolf but is a little light on the styx and a revere in 22 for hunting squirrels which is an excellent and exquisite looking gun ( i live in the n e hard to get a shot any farther than 50 on a squirrel and i have a 25 cal m3 for long range. Thats my story till now and am very happy with how they shoot.

I would have skipped the .25 avenger bullpup and the leaky reg .22 avenger. Then even though my aea varmint.22 is a very accurate and great gun i wish I had never bought it because of the length of it. Then there’s my 2 mavericks. I have a barrel in every cal that fx offers for them. Also love them but if I could do it over I would just buy 2 impact m3’s a .22 compact and a .30 sniper!

My two HW springers, 30 in 177 and 95 with 177 and 22 barrels really cover all my needs.
But I wanted to get into pcp, because I wanted more power. So I have lurked for over two years reading everything.

I like tinkering, but would rather spend my time shooting. I knew I did not want a low end gun, or a super adjustable one. Narrowed it down to a few models of a few brands, and then started stalking the classifieds to buy a higher end used gun.
In June I found an AA s500 in .22. 30-35fpe, that’s my big power gun.

Last week I addressed the next part of the plan, 1701p, low power 177, multi purpose perfect.

Now the question is what to fit between them? Compact, 12-18fpe, likely 177.
I don’t know at this point, but I have time to wait and get it right. And let my wife forget.

It's been a journey the last years.. I used to have 14 pcp now I'm down to 8 .. Crickets n AGT guns have been my favorite... and my airforce guns those have been with me since the beginning..I really enjoy the sport..for now I find no reason to buy anything else.. so if I could start again , I would go directly to the upper end $1500+ eastern European guns..n they awesome CZ barrels.

If it has to be PCP then get your air source figured out before you buy any guns. Most people don't like pumping and the cheaper compressors can be unreliable or require decent mechanical skills. The best compressor is your friend's but if you must own your own then either buy two cheap ones or one expensive one.

If springers are the answer then look for one that's been tuned or could be tuned so you don't get a twanging vibration filled beast. A quality 177 Weihrauch HW30 can teach you how to shoot and last you a lifetime, it's a keeper because family can shoot it easier than a larger gun, same with easy of cocking, noise, danger, expense.

John Thomas in Thomasville, PA is an excellent spring gun tuner.

You can shoot them out the box just fine but the break in period will take longer, it will be harder to cock, etc. so let an expert go through your gun and know that you're getting the gun's potential and the mistakes are all on yourself.

(You do need to tighten the bolts occasionally!)

Reactions: merpo