• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If you can start over knowing what you know now, what Rifle and caliber would you buy.

I have enjoyed the entire ride so far. Learning, always learning.
Some things I have learned? I should have bought a 25 right off the bat.
I find my 25 pellet pusher to be the funnest gun I own and the most accurate. I have a Crown MKII on the way in 25. Will it outshoot my current 25? Seriously doubt it. All I have owned are Bullpups and I want to try a traditional rifle platform.
I still enjoy slug shooting but wished I had not spent all the money on the longer barrels, power kits etc. I settled on a 600mm with a heavy slug liner, It is enough for me. It does a very good job where pellets leave off.

Reactions: 1a2a3m4p
For the price, I would absolutely get another Guantlet 30 ... maybe even before the AEA Challenger Pro which is in most ways superior, but an extra $300 or so.

I'm not as fancy as some of you folks. Overperformance for my money is what I'm after. I'd probably buy another $200 Beeman too. Maybe an AEA Challenger SL (cheapo) in .25 caliber for $350 or whatever they cost nowadays. No regrets here and I can still afford to go out for dinner from time to time.

Knowing what I now know however, I would avoid semiautomatics. Both I've owned, I've sold. Just not my preference.

Reactions: Perle
Don't think I would change much. Started with springers. A D-34 that allowed me to learn an awful lot about springers. How to shoot them, how to work on them, and how to improve upon them. Progressed to an HW 97-k and then the TX200. Still have and shoot both. Then naturally I had to investigate the PCP thing. Bought a Marauder F&T in .22 and a small compressor. The Marauder was a good decision. I have shot that rifle silly and have killed sacks of squirrels with it. Still have it and still shoot it. But.....I then progressed to an Air Arms S-510 XS and am more than pleased with it. Of course I had to upgrade to a better air source than the little portable compressor I started with. And you know it.....the Yong Heng. By the way, all of my rifles are .22 cal. and I would not change that.

All that to say....Knowing what I know I now? I guess I would have the same rifles that I have. I'm not flashy, nor am I a competition shooter. I like target shooting at my home and enjoy small game hunting. I gravitate toward the "traditional".

Reactions: L.Leon
Can I pick more that one?
My favorite rifle is my Edgun L2 in .25. That one I would buy again for the majority of my shooting. It is fun, not win any contests accurate but accurate enough to reliably get Starlings and ground squirrels at 60 yards.

I also like having a lower power plinker that shoots cheap .22 pellets and the Brocock Ranger does that perfectly, so I would buy it again.

I would also like a gun that will shoot 1-2inch groups at 100-130 or so yards. I thought that was going to be my FX Impact, but not yet, so I am unsure about gun or caliber for this.

Lastly I would like a slug slinging varmint hunter capable of reliably disposing of Marmot sized animals. The Brocock Ghost might end up being that gun in .30.

Reactions: L.Leon
Impact MK3 in either .30 or .35 for pesting.
TX200MK3 and HW97K in .177 for target
FX Revolution in .22 for paper/fun/pesting

Either that an impact M3 in all calibres.

But then again I own 35 plus airguns both springers and PCP + Co2 and I wouldnt change a thing ;).

The only one I don't own is the Impact and I am seriously Jonesing one of those......had I the cash in this post COVID apocalyptic world.

I have become more of a collector than a shooter. It's kinda fun to lay it all out every now and then, and see my train of thought in a broad range of equipment. I sorta like shopping and researching. Boils down to it, i have just as much fun shopping and researching as i do shooting. I'll be building a High end PCP, and spot a good deal on a Low End PCP, and wind up flip flopping around with 4 or 5 new projects. Some day i will probably have to have a big garage sale and sell most of it off, so that the wife don't have to deal with my hoarding issues when i go to feeding worms. If i had that garage sale today, i would keep my v3 in 22, and 2 leshiy classics with all the barrels.

When I was considering the transition from cheap ($100ish) Springers to PCP's, the TX200 had my eye and had me stuck in making that transition for awhile, wondering, "how good could this TX200 be?". Well after a few more months of research the Benjamin Maximus Hunter in .22 came out and I nabbed one with all the "codes and discounts" plugged in and it hit my doorstep for $178.00 shipped. Boom! Staying inline with my neophyte understanding of such a transition I bought the ubiquitous "$35 hand pump" from Amazon as well as a "bashed-up tin of JSB pellets" too . With that Benjamin I "Swan Dived" down the rabbit hole big time, not looking back.

Fast forward to 2022...
This year I bought a TX200 .17 and now I know why I considered one back then. It will never leave the stable.
After working through various brands and the FX line from the Dreamline on up to the M3, in all calibers up to .30, I have concluded that my MK2 and M3 with many (11) of the barrel, liner and bottle configurations suites me just fine. These are truly "Lego" airguns.

Patrick

There are so many different rifles for different purposes. For me, and the majority of my use, if I could only pick one, it would be my FX Crown MK2 in .22. It is extremely accurate with pellets and slugs and .22 caliber pellets are plentiful and there is a great variety from which to choose.
If I’m allowed a second rifle it would be an HW30s in .177. I absolutely love my little HW30 as a backyard plinker. It is probably the most used rifle in my collection.
Ok, if I get three then my HW97K .177 will make the cut. Another great rifle that is super accurate and fun to shoot.
Kenny
Give me a Crown mk2 in .25 cal anytime. Have a .20 Hw97k, laser.

I would change nothing. It was experience earned. I learned a great deal about PCPs over those years. Any regrets? On one hand I could say yes and on the other side of things I could say no. I started With a Mrod and went up from there. The Mrod was a great place to learn the ins and outs of tearing apart a PcP in order to fix things gone wrong, upgrade, or even modify. Ended up as I sit now with several EvoLs after having many others such as EDguns, AGTs, and so on. All were great airguns in their on right. Some had issues and others never had issues. I learned what is really reliable and what was not so much. I did not like having that doubt in the back of my head with certain brands/airguns wondering if I was about to have a failure while out and about. Always an easy fix but thats not the point. I want reliable to be the norm. Anyway. It was all about the experience gained.

78ABC7FF-1384-4FC3-9559-7136864EA2CD.jpeg

HW44

Reactions: rigbymauser