• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If money aint the issue what scope you buying?

I recently just put an Arken EP5 on my Texan .257 setup and I have a Valdada G2 Mini on my Paradigm, I HATE THAT I OWN THIS SCOPE, it makes using the Arken a CHORE, there really is no comparison when looking through budget glass after using Teir 1 glass for a period of time...............

Everyone in this thread, SAVE YOURSELVES AND DONT BUY TEIR 1 Glass your WALLETS will thank me!
I won a Vortex Razor 3, a big, heavy, beautiful scope. It may not be top tier glass, but it’s pretty close, and has made my other scopes seem cloudy by comparison.
IMG_2732.png

I won a Vortex Razor 3, a big, heavy, beautiful scope. It may not be top tier glass, but it’s pretty close, and has made my other scopes seem cloudy by comparison. View attachment 395507
This is something I AM SERIOUSLY struggling with right now.

On something I am only going to be shooting 50-60 yards its not big deal, but where I want to use more magnification at longer distances 100+ it is super apparent that there is a difference and cloudy is one word to describe it. I do not feel the Arken EP5 will stick around long, if I find a good deal on a teir 1 it will be replaced quickly. It really sucks because before I got the valdada I was perfectly ok with something at the ep5 level, its a great scope, but itd be like going from a bentley to camry.

Reactions: Barenger
This thread is a bit old, but perhaps some of you have not seen this excellent review from Snipers Hide:

S7
Great information on that review!

I really like the March compact 4.5-28 with its size and lightweight, and curious about the new Schmidt and Bender options for money no object scope. For air rifles the scopes to me need to parallax down to 10 yards and my preference is a FFP

Reactions: JungleShooter
I have owned, March , S&B, tons of Leupolds, Nightforce etc. Out of all these scopes I have or had the Vortex LHT 3-15 Razor is my favorite hunting scope. If the dot was daylight bright like S&B or FD like the new March scopes, the Vortex LHT would be the perfect scope for me.

Another favorite scope of mine is the Delta titanium 2.5-15x56, with a daylight bright dot, but is a tad too heavy for my liking. But to my eyes better than S&B ,March or NF.
So if I had 50 grand to spend on a scope but was told it was going to be the only scope I could ever use, hands down the Vortex LHT. :)

The Vortex LHT 3-15 Razor. If the dot was daylight bright the Vortex LHT would be the perfect scope for me.
So if I had 50 grand to spend on a scope but was told it was going to be the only scope I could ever use, hands down the Vortex LHT. :)

Wow, just shows how different we are as shooters..... 😄

I wouldn't even look twice at that scope....! 🤷🏻‍♂️

● It's got a 20 yard minimum parallax.
Deal breaker for me right there.

● And on top of that, it's got capped turrets.
Which is a scope maker's way of saying, "Dial the turrets to zero the scope, after that, leave them alone: These turrets are not made for dialing!"

● And one more strike: It's SFP. Vortex capped the turrets of a scope where the reticle subtensions are only true at a single magnification.
So, is this variable magnification scope for dialing — or for holdovers? My answer would be: For neither.

Nutcracker,
please do not take offense. On the contrary:
I am happy for you that these three specifications (capped turrets, 20y min. parallax, SFP) are what you prefer. It opens up a vast universe of scopes that will never make it onto my Scope Specs Lists — I'm much more demanding and apparently have a totally different way of using scopes that you do. 👍🏼

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

Wow, just shows how different we are as shooters..... 😄

I wouldn't even look twice at that scope....! 🤷🏻‍♂️

● It's got a 20 yard minimum parallax.
Deal breaker for me right there.

● And on top of that, it's got capped turrets.
Which is a scope maker's way of saying, "Dial the turrets to zero the scope, after that, leave them alone: These turrets are not made for dialing!"

● And one more strike: It's SFP. Vortex capped the turrets of a scope where the reticle subtensions are only true at a single magnification.
So, is this variable magnification scope for dialing — or for holdovers? My answer would be: For neither.

Nutcracker,
please do not take offense. On the contrary:
I am happy for you that these three specifications (capped turrets, 20y min. parallax, SFP) are what you prefer. It opens up a vast universe of scopes that will never make it onto my Scope Specs Lists — I'm much more demanding and apparently have a totally different way of using scopes that you do. 👍🏼

Cheers, 😊

Matthias
I don't like FFP at all, tried several over the years & sell them cheap. Don't like exposed turrets, just looks Chessy to me & I don't need to use them for 10-100 yard shooting, a couple hash marks are enough. I guess if I was shooting 500 yards, then maybe I would reconsider. Cranking a turret after I sight a rifle in is recipe for a miss for me, my memory is not good enough for all that. 20-yard minimum parallax is fine, I never found that has caused a miss at 10 yards on the rare occasion that I shoot something that close. But like you say, a scope is very personal thing. One thing I have found in my search for the perfect scope is that $ 800 scopes are as good or better to me than the 3000 ones & if the scope weighs over 20 oz, I don't want to carry it around. Prefer less.

Reactions: JungleShooter
For me I see it more like a distance problem that a money issue.. every eye is different n that is why scopes suits different between us .. in my friend land I have up to 600y+ to use and I could clearly se my misses shootin sode cans with a Arken EP5 .. I don't get to go very often..so unless you have unlimited space, spending 3k + in a scope to shoot 200y at best is worth less, to me.. for every day airgun use most scopes between $350 to $750 .. would do everything you need.. with this aside ... with 1000y + if I could not see it with what I have.. would definitely buy some of those high end 40mm tube PB scopes .