• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If I were to buy a DonnyFL...

What should I get? I have a BSA Scorpion SE which is pretty loud (in .22), and I would like to know what would make it as silent as possible without ruining the brilliant balance. My choice will be probably either the Sumo or Tatsu. I’ll be doing a lot of offhand work so Tatsu would be nice but I don’t know if it will do the job in quieting it down enough. I also don’t know whether or not I should buy the .22 or .25 to avoid clipping. I’ve heard somewhere that Donny’s suppressors have the holes slightly larger than the caliber to avoid clipping but I’d like to confirm this. 

Thanks,

AK

I was told by Donny himself to buy the next caliber UP from what caliber you are shooting so you would want to buy the Tatsu or Sumo in .25 cal. I have the Sumo in .25 cal for my .22 Streamline and it makes it VERY quiet but it’s a BIG honking pickle hanging off the end. It works but ain’t very purdy.

Did he say why you have to go one size bigger. Is it a technical thing... clipping pellets or beter air stripping or.... 

I spoke with Donny about this. He said this is his recommendation:

Between .177-.25, go one size up. For .30 cal and above you can get the exact caliber because he machines it so that there is a little more “wiggle” room. For example, a .50 cal is the largest size, and if you are shooting a .50 cal you cannot go a size up. If you are using a .30 cal you are fine to use a .30. Now if it were me I would probably jump a size anyway.

I have two Sumos, 1 in .25 cal and 1 in .30 cal, and I have the .25 Sumo on my .25 gun. My alignment is good and no “clipping” is occurring. I’ve learned the hard way that when clipping does occur, 99.99999999999999% it is the fault of the gun manufacturer or yourself, and usually issues with alignment, rather than the fault of the thread or machining of Donny or another LDC. He had to recommend a size up for those smaller tolerances between .177-.25 because gun manufacturers and gun owners are human and make mistakes and then go blame the the perfection of a machine legend named Donny.

Between .177-.25, go one size up. For .30 cal and above you can get the exact caliber because he machines it so that there is a little more “wiggle” room. For example, a .50 cal is the largest size, and if you are shooting a .50 cal you cannot go a size up. If you are using a .30 cal you are fine to use a .30. Now if it were me I would probably jump a size anyway.

I have two Sumos, 1 in .25 cal and 1 in .30 cal, and I have the .25 Sumo on my .25 gun. My alignment is good and no “clipping” is occurring. I’ve learned the hard way that when clipping does occur, 99.99999999999999% it is the fault of the gun manufacturer or yourself, and usually issues with alignment, rather than the fault of the thread or machining of Donny or another LDC. He had to recommend a size up for those smaller tolerances between .177-.25 because gun manufacturers and gun owners are human and make mistakes and then go blame the the perfection of a machine legend named Donny.

Thx for the info... question: did you tried the difference between the two on the same gun. For witch is quieter. I think the .25 on a .25 will be quieter.

Good to know. I ordered a .30 Ronin, and Donny did recommend the .30. Not sure if there was a .357 with the end cap I needed.

...methinks the Shogun be your huckleberry...don't fear the can, maaan...

...the point of diminishing returns begins with the Tanto but that does not mean the big ones are not noticeably quieter...

...I put the Shogun on a 7.5 fpe rifle and it was worth it my situation, even though the Tanto would have been satisfactory if I did not know the difference... 

..."for it's size" the Tanto is very effective, but the much larger Shogun takes all the bite out w/o feeling much different nor changing the point of impact noticably....

...I have been going back and forth between the two and sort of settled on the Shogun, the Tanto is in a box, and the .25 cal Escape has to share it's silencer now...

...at least until I get an Emperor for it...

...the Shogun really does well on the powerful Escape but the Tanto / Shogun experiments with a low powered .17 cal CZ T 200 help confirm my hypothesis that sometimes less is more but more is always more...

With no shroud you will need a bigger can than a gun with shroud, more specifically you need more length IMHO. I have a BSA Ultra SE and it is LOUD for 17FPE, almost 22 rim fire loud. I put on the Tanto and it still got a good pop, put on the FX I have and it's actually quieter, put on the sumo it's very noticeably quieter and lower pitch but still a little bit of pop. Then I put on the Emperor(without extension) it's most a low puff and all mechanical noise. I say try a KOI then a sumo or shogun and lastly the emperor if you need ultimate backyard quietness. It's up to you on what's acceptable but personally I really like the emperor......minus the mobility of the size. From the look perspective the emperor is hilariously huge it's an awesome conversation piece.

Donny himself put emperor on all his guns, I like his style!

As far as clipping goes if you gun's tolerance isn't great the absolutely do get one size bigger, however since you have a BSA which is pretty good quality in general then I would buy the actual caliber. The reason is that with the right size the moderator performs better as it will strip as much air around the bullet/pellet as possible for better accuracy.

I was told by Donny himself to buy the next caliber UP from what caliber you are shooting so you would want to buy the Tatsu or Sumo in .25 cal. I have the Sumo in .25 cal for my .22 Streamline and it makes it VERY quiet but it’s a BIG honking pickle hanging off the end. It works but ain’t very purdy.

Did he say why you have to go one size bigger. Is it a technical thing... clipping pellets or beter air stripping or....

It was to avoid clipping be it from whatever causing the bore and the moderator to not be aligned. 

I am assuming that the moderators are still the same specs today as they were a few years ago when I bought mine but I don't know that. Best thing would be to contact Donny and ask him to eliminate any doubts or have questions answered.

HTH