• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If I could start over from scratch what I'd get.....

If I had to start over I would buy a decent compressor, probably omega and a Leshiy2 or Uragan. I put a 600mm 22cal fx barrel in my Leshiy2 and it shoots pretty darn good. I’ve had it from 20fpe-70fpe in 22cal, plus I can always throw the stock 350mm barrel in it. The Uragan compact has been rock solid and pretty darn accurate.
I had an early maverick that had a lot of issues (factory part upgrades). I worked all the kinks out and had it shooting good and consistent, but traded it off. I wouldn’t get rid of it till I knew it was right. So I probably wouldn’t go with a maverick again, but I still like my old reliable streamline. 

...Daystate Regal XL .177 cal. 🥰 This rifle is near perfection in an air gun. The accuracy, the stock ( Walnut, beautifully sculpted by Minelli). The rifle is light, ergonomic -- and shoulders great. The Harper "Slingshot hammer and valve set-up" negates the need for any regulator. I still get 70+ accurate shots when plinking and target shooting.

Took a squirrel with it minutes after unboxing (7 years ago?).

Daystate1.1646974924.png
Daystate4.1646974965.png
Daystate6.1646975059.png
Daystate8.1646975094.png
Daystate9.1646975138.png

How does this rifle compare to the huntsman revere? I have always loved the classic look of this rifle.

On the PCP side I would get three Daystate Huntsman Regals .177 .20 .22 and a Taipan Veteran .22 standard. Would have bought more pellets and a nicer scope or two. For generic airgunning plinking/informal target/lightpesting the Huntsman is the one for me, and I like the Bullpup design build quility and easy power adjustment of the Veteran. Maybe in hindsight a Wildcat Mk1 walnut .22 instead of a Huntsman .22, had one and wish I hadn't sold it.

If I had to start over I would buy a decent compressor, probably omega and a Leshiy2 or Uragan. I put a 600mm 22cal fx barrel in my Leshiy2 and it shoots pretty darn good. I’ve had it from 20fpe-70fpe in 22cal, plus I can always throw the stock 350mm barrel in it. The Uragan compact has been rock solid and pretty darn accurate.
I had an early maverick that had a lot of issues (factory part upgrades). I worked all the kinks out and had it shooting good and consistent, but traded it off. I wouldn’t get rid of it till I knew it was right. So I probably wouldn’t go with a maverick again, but I still like my old reliable streamline.

From what I’ve seen. Unless your talking around $4000 

you still getting the same Chinese compressor in a fancier box. 

Word of warning. The Nova star is not a nice rifle. What it has going for it... simplicity. The valve design is very good at self-regulating power output levels across a wide range of bottle pressure. And can output some serious power.... down side, the hammer is heavy, and utilizes some springloaded forks that halt it's rebound to prevent valve bounce... these forks get very easily damaged and usually fail... And can also do considerable damage to the hammer and then the tube, and whatever else steel shavings attack... Speakin of, I think I will put in an order for a new hammer. I had to get one for my sortie when I had it because the hammer actually broke.... Replacement was of stronger alloy and better made at least... maybe a new one will be better?

But Hatsans execution of their designs seem to often be extremely poor. Extremely cheap finish, and even worse machining. Gas block was off square, and I had to face it by hand to get the gun to go together straight. The receiver cutout for the mag was milled several millimeters too deep. Making it rather flimsy. I am acutally using my scope to help reinforce the receiver. The trigger group housing is also plastic.... making it a bit spongy.... ugh. Some day I may attempt to remedy this. Being un-regulated, the barrel needs to be tensioned to deal with the varying harmonics. And is from the factory, but their barrels are a genuine lottery as well. Just some words of caution. My nova star has had a lot of work done to it. I keep it as a backup, because of it's simplicity, and accuracy in it's current config. And I got it at %45 off. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy it at %75 off.

Yeah, my first pcp was a Hatsan Galatian. 
the action block was machined so far out of square I couldn’t zero the scope left to right :) 

however, the actual machine work was decent. I did a ton of work to it as well. First for efficiency, then in latter years, for power. Think I had it at 70fpe. Learned a lot. 

...Daystate Regal XL .177 cal. 🥰 This rifle is near perfection in an air gun. The accuracy, the stock ( Walnut, beautifully sculpted by Minelli). The rifle is light, ergonomic -- and shoulders great. The Harper "Slingshot hammer and valve set-up" negates the need for any regulator. I still get 70+ accurate shots when plinking and target shooting.

Daystate1.1646974924.png
Daystate4.1646974965.png
Daystate6.1646975059.png
Daystate8.1646975094.png
Daystate9.1646975138.png

How does this rifle compare to the huntsman revere? I have always loved the classic look of this rifle.

The Daystate Huntsman Regal XL uses a bolt for cocking, while the Huntsman Revere has the side lever action. As I stated earlier, my Regal is unregulated...the Huntsman Revere is Huma regulated. I know, there are regulated Regals.

The Revere is refilled per a probe, while the Regal is refilled by connecting the hose to its male foster fitting -- no need for any fill probe.

The Daystate Regal XL (unregulated ) has "SWP" fill of 210 bar, while the regulated Revere can be filled to 250 bar. The Revere has two pressure gauges, one for the bottle and another for the regulator.

Both are excellent rifles: Accurate and ergonomic.

I suppose the Revere is considered an advancement/upgrade of the Regal. I dunno, I do shoot the Revere much more than I do the Regal. However, the Revere is new to me; I've owned it for ~2 months.

I will never part with either rifle.😉

On the PCP side I would get three Daystate Huntsman Regals .177 .20 .22 and a Taipan Veteran .22 standard. Would have bought more pellets and a nicer scope or two. For generic airgunning plinking/informal target/lightpesting the Huntsman is the one for me, and I like the Bullpup design build quility and easy power adjustment of the Veteran. Maybe in hindsight a Wildcat Mk1 walnut .22 instead of a Huntsman .22, had one and wish I hadn't sold it.

Ahh! The venerable Taipan Veteran. Great Bullpup.

I still have the Vet .22 cal I purchased from you -- we met for the exchange in Huntsville, Al., remember?😉

What I hated about the Maverick was it going off in my ears when shooting thus the sale and getting the Crown with the action in front of my ears

Daystate1.1646974924.png
Daystate4.1646974965.png
Daystate6.1646975059.png
Daystate8.1646975094.png
Daystate9.1646975138.png

The Daystate Huntsman Regal XL uses a bolt for cocking, while the Huntsman Revere has the side lever action. As I stated earlier, my Regal is unregulated...the Huntsman Revere is Huma regulated. I know, there are regulated Regals.

The Revere is refilled per a probe, while the Regal is refilled by connecting the hose to its male foster fitting -- no need for any fill probe.

The Daystate Regal XL (unregulated ) has "SWP" fill of 210 bar, while the regulated Revere can be filled to 250 bar. The Revere has two pressure gauges, one for the bottle and another for the regulator.

Both are excellent rifles: Accurate and ergonomic.

I suppose the Revere is considered an advancement/upgrade of the Regal. I dunno, I do shoot the Revere much more than I do the Regal. However, the Revere is new to me; I've owned it for ~2 months.

I will never part with either rifle.😉

Thank you for the reply! I do like side cocking better and regulated rifles as well, I dont know what the fascination of fill probes is I wish everyone would just use a male foster!

Lol. Too many nice rifles to be had. Those air arms springer sure are appealing. 

As for machining on hatsan. No deburring of anything at all allowed. Absolutely not. Tear all of your orings. And your hands too while you're at it 😂. My receiver came with a gouge in it. And I cannot for the life of me understand why they would mill picatiny slot spacing that absolutely nothing uses. Ugh. The width of the rail is abnormally large, too. I have a number of items that run out of thread and do not fit onto the rail. The pin hole for my cocking lever is out of place. It isnt straight either. I had to grind inside of the receiver and on the cocking lever just so it would shut all the way and not hang on the slot it is supposed to close into. And it would still just randomly flop open as it is on a spring. Had to do more grinding. Inexcusable.

My rationale was that a $900 gun ought to be at least somewhat nice, right? 😒 I'm just not big on returning things. I'd prefer to fix them. 

Corny… I have a gx version of the omega and it’s been trucking along fine. I would be happy with another one. 

Goldwing… my maverick had a bad second stage reg, action would blow open and a grub style screw on the macro hammer adjuster. What frustrated me most was the reg was blamed one me, it had issues after fx fixed the action popping open. Next they only wanted to give me another grub screw, not the newer cap head style till I made a topic here. I still had to buy a power wheel that the grub screw ruined. Basically I had to go through my new gun, installed huma reg, finally got the cap head screw and had to buy a power wheel. Pretty frustrated, I went back to edgun. 

Corny… I have a gx version of the omega and it’s been trucking along fine. I would be happy with another one. 

Goldwing… my maverick had a bad second stage reg, action would blow open and a grub style screw on the macro hammer adjuster. What frustrated me most was the reg was blamed one me, it had issues after fx fixed the action popping open. Next they only wanted to give me another grub screw, not the newer cap head style till I made a topic here. I still had to buy a power wheel that the grub screw ruined. Basically I had to go through my new gun, installed huma reg, finally got the cap head screw and had to buy a power wheel. Pretty frustrated, I went back to edgun.

Seems FX will at times only make it right when they have to defend themselves of individual customers who take it online and even then there quite about it, as if we where stupid to there airgun flaws

Reactions: Cranky1
Dang, that's rough. Ive had both good and bad experiences with them. They replaced my synthetic crown stock no questions asked, but a couple years later I try to order parts (barrel shroud, gauges, and 30 cal probe). The first shroud had a very noticeable defect. I returned it, and the second had a defect too, I just kept it. Probe looked like it was put into a rock tumbler, second one they sent (I paid for all these) was in better shape but still not like I would expect like the shroud. The gauges were all bad.. Ordered from huma instead. I now have white faced gauges like the 1st crowns produced. Oh well.

When I got my crown they did a lot lower volume sales. It seems they sacrificed quality to keep up with demand. This is seen with the increase in issues across their platforms.