If Beaver Photos Are Your Thing...

Once again I was tasked with removing some beavers that were flooding a friend's property. The farmer next door wasn't too happy either, when he saw his equipment in a foot of standing water. Stopped by yesterday to break apart the dam and get the water draining. Late this afternoon I ripped out the overnight repair work they'd done, and saw the water had dropped enough for me to get into a good shooting position. Turned out to be a pair of beavers. Took about two hours after settling in for them to show up. Got the male first, crossing from right to left. You can see the entry wound just behind his eye. No exit wound, and the top of his skull felt like a sack of loose gravel. JSB King Heavies do the job well on that hard head. As you can see, he was about 3 1/2 feet long. Didn't weigh him.

1598850466_7095618465f4c85a2ecca88.39745139.jpg

1598850507_12228021185f4c85cb73a137.82990015.jpg

Fished him out of the edge of the creek, then settled back in to see if any more were around. Half an hour of watching swirls in the water, then the female got tired of holding her breath and gave me a shot crossing from left to right and quartering slightly away. Caught her right below the ear. Instant lights out, just like the male. She was a bit smaller, but still a decent size.

1598850818_10590045155f4c87023c6843.07858749.jpg

1598850846_21318364955f4c871eeb1774.29360049.jpg

Looks like I will be having some grilled beaver backstrap this week! I get to eat good, two property owners are happy, and the creek is flowing again. I used my Huben K1 in 25 caliber, with an ATN X-Sight II 3 - 14 scope, shooting JSB King Heavies. I didn't need the quick followup shots tonight, but the Huben K1 allows me to keep my sight picture if I ever do. Thanks for reading! Shoot straight, tell the truth, and be kind to one another.

James

Click bait! =)

Can’t believe I missed this tread. Great job, Iceman! Nice to see you on here as I hardly see you post up!

Hey, Augie! I have been very busy in my limited free time, as it has been flounder season here in NC. Used to be year round, but this year we get only six weeks of recreational and one month of commercial season on those elusive flat fish. I go gigging for them at night, and it is more like hunting than it is fishing. I caught the coronavirus from my sister and brother-in-law. Since we weren't having any major symptoms, we decided to spend some of our quarantine time isolating at the house in Beaufort and going gigging at night. We put a lot of fish in the freezer! My fellow plague-rats and I put the smackdown on them! Hope your shoulder is well. When is the next one?

James

Good story, GREAT shooting!

What reg pressure and power setting are you running?

I have the reg gage set on 140 bar, and I adjusted the power setting to sling the JSB King Heavy MkIIs at just under 900 FPS. Much faster than that and the groups start to get bigger. I really like the availability of a fast follow-up shot when dealing with these bucktoothed boogeymen at night.

James