• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ideas for new shooting range

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Hit a scrap yard and see if any "wear plate" come in or on the pile .. if any industrial maintenance like paper mill or coal they use it a lot for conveyors and shoots and throw scrap / cut offs away off new full sheets .. ( AR plate not the hard surfaced type). Hardox plate is made in Sweden so miye be poplar around you ..

Hit a scrap yard and see if any "wear plate" come in or on the pile .. if any industrial maintenance like paper mill or coal they use it a lot for conveyors and shoots and throw scrap / cut offs away off new full sheets .. ( AR plate not the hard surfaced type). Hardox plate is made in Sweden so miye be poplar around you ..
I have graindryer factory close to me and can get lot of scrap metal from there 👍🏻

I shoot in a gun club only, a lot of rules that I like or dislike, but also a lot of safety features built into shooting lanes.
If you wanna make it idiotproof (safety first) I would suggest visiting couple gun clubs just to get a feel. Look for the backstops how they built it, also don't forget about L-R clearance as well. Very important the over the head bridge, any accidental trigger release cannot point up in the air.
A canopy or the BR tables is #14th on the list.
Make it safe it first in a way if anybody visits from the government nobody can make any negative comments or questions this-and-that...
You won't regret if you pay attention to these.
{btw, I was also tinkering renting a piece of land and make my own range, but I have much stricter local laws, too many things and questions involved, so finally I put it temporary aside for now}

I only have 35 yards available at my home range but that is useful for airguns. I put 12in by 12 in concrete pavers in the yard at 5 yard intervals. I have a movable base for my trap that is just a 4x4 inch wooden post with a brake caliper on the bottom. My trap is a small electrical box filled with rubber mulch that I set on the post. I can move the post from paver to paver and shoot at 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 yards. Nice for understanding your trajectory. With your space you could go on out to at least 50 or 100 yards.

I built my own "know your limits" target using brackets for electrical conduit from Target Forge for the frame. The targets are washers from the hardware store (doubled or tripled to get enough thickness) welded to 1/4 inch steel rod. I bent the other end of the rod around 3/4 inch water/gas pipe which is a little bigger than 3/4 electrical conduit. So they swing freely when hit. I have 2 inch, 1.75, 1.5, 1.25, 1, .75, .5 and a bare 1/4 inch rod. If you have a welder and some rod around 1/4 inch this could be cheap to make up. Not sure about size of things in Finland but might work. I also have a steel squirrel target with a kill zone that flops down when you hit it. I think Crosman makes it. It is not expensive.

Reactions: (F)Airgunner
These make great targets! Nice bang and a puff of smoke. Maybe you can get these. I was wondering if a pellet would set off tannerite too.
Then I could make these instead of buying them. They were much more expensive this year. Gotta have em though. Super fun!
I use florescent tape to put them on the targets. Works great. Aspirin are fun to shoot also.

IMG_5951 - Copy.JPG

These make great targets! Nice bang and a puff of smoke. Maybe you can get these. I was wondering if a pellet would set off tannerite too.
Then I could make these instead of buying them. They were much more expensive this year. Gotta have em though. Super fun!
I use florescent tape to put them on the targets. Works great. Aspirin are fun to shoot also.

View attachment 407315
With aspirin you meant that medicine?????

6.35mm/.25 is biggest airgun caliber what you can have without permits
Dane envy Finnish brother, here when 18 YO you can have 4.5 mm .177 caliber, and that's it, you can according to law join rifle club and get larger caliber that way, but rifle clubs here only do traditional 10 M air rifle, so that's not a option if you want larger caliber and shoot things like bench rest and field target, CUZ those 2 forms of shooting do not exist here, well at least not in any rifle club i know off.

And then finally you can get a hunting licence, which at least once would have you memorize the hunting seasons for everything here, where i think most just hunt a few things and know damn well when they are in season.
So a viable route, just a damn troublesome one if you ask me, not least since like up there, you can not hunt anything with a air rifle, but you can hunt many things with a bow ( crossbows a deadly sin and very very illegal )

Last 1 week i read 2 times about people getting shot with shotguns, one in the face ( nose + lips ) and yesterday a guy got a few bird shot pellets in the leg, so even having a hunting licence, seem to do little for safety.

Danes also need to make new parties and vote on them, the old ones are useless and destructive.

Last edited:
Dane envy Finnish brother, here when 18 YO you can have 4.5 mm .177 caliber, and that's it, you can according to law join rifle club and get larger caliber that way, but rifle clubs here only do traditional 10 M air rifle, so that's not a option if you want larger caliber and shoot things like bench rest and field target, CUZ those 2 forms of shooting do not exist here, well at least not in any rifle club i know off.

And then finally you can get a hunting licence, which at least once would have you memorize the hunting seasons for everything here, where i think most just hunt a few things and know damn well when they are in season.
So a viable route, just a damn troublesome one if you ask me, not least since like up there, you can not hunt anything with a air rifle, but you can hunt many things with a bow ( crossbows a deadly sin and very very illegal )

Last 1 week i read 2 times about people getting shot with shotguns, one in the face ( nose + lips ) and yesterday a guy got a few bird shot pellets in the leg, so even having a hunting licence, seem to do little for safety.

Danes also need to make new parties and vote on them, the old ones are useless and destructive.
Almost same in Finland. You need to pass those hunter exams to get hunting guns, if you want bigger rifle joining to local gun club is necessary. And any case when u want some gun, you need to verify your hobby that demands that specific gun, even with airguns bigger than 6.35.

I think I got this from McNasty, but my favorite targets, other than paper bullseyes, are empty pellet tins, painted and hung with fishing line from any kind of support. Different sizes and different lengths of line, different distances, and movement with wind make it great fun. I have silhouettes and spinners and field targets for my plinking, but the smiles come from the tins.

I think I got this from McNasty, but my favorite targets, other than paper bullseyes, are empty pellet tins, painted and hung with fishing line from any kind of support. Different sizes and different lengths of line, different distances, and movement with wind make it great fun. I have silhouettes and spinners and field targets for my plinking, but the smiles come from the tins.
This is great, how simple and still didt bear in mind!

Great range! Look into some kind tent or tarp setup to get out of the elements. Setup different range targets. Get some marking tape and old arrows for wind flags.

How about some soup cans and reactive targets? Place a smaller can inside a bigger can so that they last a lot of shots.

Spray metal targets with a base white coat, let dry. Apply a second coat of florescent orange for high visibility.

Have fun!

IMG_1905.jpeg

M
May as well get that little extra out of them🥴
lid.jpg

Steel critters

Squirrels on a limb
limbsquirrles.jpg

Squirrel & pecker
trunkcritters .jpg

Swinging bat
bat1.jpg
Stuff hanging all over🤤

Reactions: (F)Airgunner
Great range! Look into some kind tent or tarp setup to get out of the elements. Setup different range targets. Get some marking tape and old arrows for wind flags.

How about some soup cans and reactive targets? Place a smaller can inside a bigger can so that they last a lot of shots.

Spray metal targets with a base white coat, let dry. Apply a second coat of florescent orange for high visibility.

Have fun!

View attachment 407360
We cant build too much down to range beacause farmer from neighbour scythes it once in a summer.