• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ideas and info for a new hunting "rifle"

This is my first post here.

I am all over the place. Random questions that, I guess, we all go through while choosing a PCP. Been doing my due diligence in my research but I'm not sure I know enough to even be on the right track. A few years ago I bought a Discovery and spent way to much on mods. It was fun but not practical for the cost. Anyway I guess at best its putting out about 23 foot lbs of energy. I would like to get into the upper 30's. I would like more power and range than I am at present getting from the Discovery.

I would like to use the "rifle" for squirrel, rabbit and when I go to South Dakota prairie dogs. The reason I put the "rifle" in quotes is I am actually considering a bullpup in .25. I am thinking about the HATSAN FLASHPUP.25. What are your thoughts on the Flashpup good and bad, or for that matter Hatsan? All the normal things are in consideration, cost, power and accuracy. Best bang for the buck thing. I'm not sold on anything thats why Im here. I was thinking about the Marauder but the weight and the fact that they have a Crosman barrel kinda turned me off. I know there is the "optional" barrel but that puts the rifle way out of my price range. I would like to start a discussion that may help others also.

Anyway what are your thoughts?

thanks

my thoughts are that really. true 'range' as far as trajectory of a gun and how it can be sighted for a maximum point blank zero range is a function of speed .. not energy .. to me thats what really counts when hunting in variable conditions .. a heavier round will generally be less affected by wind to, so theres that .. a .25 is a good round if it goes 900+ fps which im sure the hatsan does .. i have a hatsan .. its not a finely finished gun but it works good, no complaints so far ... but truth is as far as range and what you can hit your not going to gain much over a .22 discovery pushing them at ~900 over a .25 strictly in my own opinion .. i just wouldnt expect too much .. your definitely going to by getting more smackdown though with a .25 and im sure on something like a 'dog' thats going to make a difference on those long shots at 50+ ... you could go even bigger but its much the same scenario with the added cost of larger ammo ... finally, i would guess that something like an airforce that can really push things faast you could get things dialed in to quite a bit further out, but now your dealing with a single shot thats imo isnt going to be to great to carry around for other stuff .. so ... just my thoughts .. the hatsan .25 will be a much better hunting gun than the .22 simply for the smack its going to give ..

Thanks guys.

dizzums

Ya know I was a bit surprised. I saw that in a video about the .22 and the .25 and energy. There was a couple of ftl/lbs difference but not much. I was thinking the heavier pellet would cut the wind better for the longer windy shots. I did some testing with the Discovery a couple years ago. Depending on the pellet I was pushing it from the mid 700's to the mid 800's Energy was in the area of 23 ft/lbs at the muzzle to a "calculated" 10 to 15 ft/lbs at 50 yards. That in mind I didn't crank er up to the 900's.

Micro and dizzums

What are your thoughts on the quality of the Flashpup. I understand its on the lower end but is it reliable and would it fit my needs? I have a 90cc bottle I carry in a back pack so the extra cylinder isn't a problem.

A lot of people like the Flashpup - any lower cost item usually has less quality control, scopes, too. I would say try it, if you experience problems or are not satisfied then send it back. One thing about Hatsan - if you have a problem or a question don't bother calling; send an e-mail that's just the way their customer service seems to work. Hatsan guns are all about power; you definitely get the power for the money and 25 is a good choice, but only if you are realistic about the cost of ammunition - you will have to spend some money to find the pellet that works the best. 

Thanks again guys

I am on somewhat of a budget. I just cant afford an expensive rifle. I would like to be just cant. To many hobbies and not enough money. LOL I try to get the best bang for the buck in most things I do. Although this will be my primary hunting PCP of course I will plink with her often.

I will be working with the Disco again and see what I can get out of her for a hunter. The problem is with the shroud she is over 44" long using it. She is quiet but long. To long for me in the field esp where I hunt.

I was just looking on line. I cant even get pellets for the air rifle. At least the ones I want to try.

Oh I am not getting any notifications when you guys respond. Is this normal with the forum or an I doing something wrong?

My first PCP was a Prod and my second is a 25 Avenger. The Prod starting putting squirrels down quickly at 25 yards when I tuned it up to 17-18 at the muzzle which puts it at 14-15 at the squirrel at my normal 25 yard backyard distance. The go nowhere. All hits have been to the vitals but only a few to the head. More were to the neck. But a couple were unintensionally body shots that went diagonally through their bodies and they dropped near instantly. I use only domed pellets. I think that is important.

So you probably have enough gun now. You could use a trajectory calculator to see how far your discovery will carry at least 14 fpe.

But if you want more, an Avenger will do it and they are not expensive. I got mine for $300. I think they may have gone up. I get 900 fps on 25.4 grain pellets. That's about 45 ft. lbs. Even in 22 caliber it would give you 35-40 ft. lbs. I've read they have upgraded the poppet now. Mine had to be repaired for leaking but is working great now. 1/4 inch groups at 33 yards at 45-50 ft. lbs. Definitely enough for small game as far away as I can reliably place the shot.

Thanks again guys

I am on somewhat of a budget. I just cant afford an expensive rifle. I would like to be just cant. To many hobbies and not enough money. LOL I try to get the best bang for the buck in most things I do. Although this will be my primary hunting PCP of course I will plink with her often.

I will be working with the Disco again and see what I can get out of her for a hunter. The problem is with the shroud she is over 44" long using it. She is quiet but long. To long for me in the field esp where I hunt.

I was just looking on line. I cant even get pellets for the air rifle. At least the ones I want to try.

Oh I am not getting any notifications when you guys respond. Is this normal with the forum or an I doing something wrong?

Make sure you are set for e-mail notifications - if not sure, scroll up to the top right and select "subscribe" then select "yes" for e-mail subscription. If you want a shorter gun then the bullpup gets you that without sacrificing barrel length... 

My first PCP was a Prod and my second is a 25 Avenger. The Prod starting putting squirrels down quickly at 25 yards when I tuned it up to 17-18 at the muzzle which puts it at 14-15 at the squirrel at my normal 25 yard backyard distance. The go nowhere. All hits have been to the vitals but only a few to the head. More were to the neck. But a couple were unintensionally body shots that went diagonally through their bodies and they dropped near instantly. I use only domed pellets. I think that is important.

So you probably have enough gun now. You could use a trajectory calculator to see how far your discovery will carry at least 14 fpe.

But if you want more, an Avenger will do it and they are not expensive. I got mine for $300. I think they may have gone up. I get 900 fps on 25.4 grain pellets. That's about 45 ft. lbs. Even in 22 caliber it would give you 35-40 ft. lbs. I've read they have upgraded the poppet now. Mine had to be repaired for leaking but is working great now. 1/4 inch groups at 33 yards at 45-50 ft. lbs. Definitely enough for small game as far away as I can reliably place the shot.

Which brings me to another question. I used Hawk ChairGun for quite a while. Now that I am getting back into this stuff I find it has been shut down. I can find some calculators but I know the printout of the charts and graphs. Is there another program that does the same thing? That was a great program. Kinda surprised someone didn't take it over. Anyway what are you guys using?

This is my first post here.

I am all over the place. Random questions that, I guess, we all go through while choosing a PCP. Been doing my due diligence in my research but I'm not sure I know enough to even be on the right track. A few years ago I bought a Discovery and spent way to much on mods. It was fun but not practical for the cost. Anyway I guess at best its putting out about 23 foot lbs of energy. I would like to get into the upper 30's. I would like more power and range than I am at present getting from the Discovery.

I would like to use the "rifle" for squirrel, rabbit and when I go to South Dakota prairie dogs. The reason I put the "rifle" in quotes is I am actually considering a bullpup in .25. I am thinking about the HATSAN FLASHPUP.25. What are your thoughts on the Flashpup good and bad, or for that matter Hatsan? All the normal things are in consideration, cost, power and accuracy. Best bang for the buck thing. I'm not sold on anything thats why Im here. I was thinking about the Marauder but the weight and the fact that they have a Crosman barrel kinda turned me off. I know there is the "optional" barrel but that puts the rifle way out of my price range. I would like to start a discussion that may help others also.

Anyway what are your thoughts?

thanks

Listen to the "Airgun Podcast" episode "the right gun for you". I listened to it on Spotify. I found it educational. In it they talk about a 25 cal for hunting those pests out to 100 yards and how pellets vs slugs handle. Basically it was said that a 25 pellet gun is really for those animals is only really good to 60 yards. If you want 100 you need faster and slugs. It might be worth an hour of your time to listen. Actually there are several episodes that would help in your journey for this subject. 

Thanks again guys

Make sure you are set for e-mail notifications - if not sure, scroll up to the top right and select "subscribe" then select "yes" for e-mail subscription. If you want a shorter gun then the bullpup gets you that without sacrificing barrel length...

Thanks checked it out and I think Im good to go on the replies. We will see. Yeah as of now I "think" that will work best for me but I am open to any and all suggestions. I'll check out the Avenger just to see.

I had the Disco turned up to 23 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Not sure if I can go further. Will tryin the morning. Of course I'll have to check the accuracy at that setting.

Holly Crap!!! Looked a a few videos on the Avenger. Sounds like a great rifle. Just about everything I am looking for. Great suggestion. Now if they put that rifle in a bullpup please take my money. LOL Great suggestion thanks. Only thing is it's just to long. I have hunted with the Disco and ro the woods in Pa. it just gets hung up on to much vegetation. Not saying its out of the question but.. It really has a lot to offer though. Power and accuracy. For my prairie dog hunts it man be close to perfect. I just need a shorter gun.

The Avenger is a totally different gun than the Flashpup; I would say you would have to consider that the length would increase after adding a moderator, but that's up to the owner and may not be necessary. It's not presently offered as a bull pup, but who knows what the future will hold. I tend to disagree about 25 cal pellets maxing out at 60 yards...that may be true for a springer like the Kodiak/Patriot, but many PCP's are able to hit consistently around 1 - 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards with 33.9 JSB's - that's just a fact - trajectory is another issue. Slugs are another matter, and it may be that 22 cal would be a better choice if only using them.

The Avenger is a totally different gun than the Flashpup; I would say you would have to consider that the length would increase after adding a moderator, but that's up to the owner and may not be necessary. It's not presently offered as a bull pup, but who knows what the future will hold. I tend to disagree about 25 cal pellets maxing out at 60 yards...that may be true for a springer like the Kodiak/Patriot, but many PCP's are able to hit consistently around 1 - 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards with 33.9 JSB's - that's just a fact - trajectory is another issue. Slugs are another matter, and it may be that 22 cal would be a better choice if only using them.

yep I agree. The rifle is to long for my needs but it sure packs quite a few nice features. Its reasonably priced even if you have to put a moderator on it but, for my needs way to long.

Its good to check out the suggestions though. I will check out all I get. Oh getting the notifications now thanks