• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ideas and Advice Needed!

I'd love to get into a pump action that I could pack with me on extended trips into the mountains. Weight is a concern, but I'd be willing to make some trade offs for power (especially if a longer barrel was installed).

It would need to be something that I could break down small enough to pack, possibly a pistol-carbine. I would want as much power out of it as possible! .177 slug capable would be the grand prize, or something that could sling .22 well.

No budget, I'm open to starting with anything as a base and building it up to customize it to be (near) perfect.

Does anything come to mind? 🤔 

1377/22 with 18 in barrel, steel breech, flat top piston, power adjuster etc

lightweight, maneuverable, and powerful enough to take out most small critters

even if you don’t modify it, stock it’s a good enough pistol to take small game at close distance with a well placed head shot

gun(stock) $53

parts($140+)

total= $193 for the best self sustained backpack pistol

An Edgun Leshiy .... and a pump. small compact powerful, multiple calibers and barrels. Tons of options and a proven track record. Probably shoots minute of Grouse all day. my .02.

Curiosity. Maximum weight? Why pump?

I have a Leshiy and a Hill Mk4, I had bought them both a while back for this exact purpose (multi-day treks in the mountains). The reasons they didn't work out for me were #1 combined weight and #2 safety! After I had done a 4-day hike in the eastern Cascades, I never wanted to see that pump again 😆.. not just the weight factor, but also due to challenges pumping the Leshiy up in wet conditions. 

After that, I bought a 90ci 4500psi CF bottle to try out. The weight was comparable to my Hill pump, but then I started to get really concerned about safety. The trek that I got the idea for this from is 5-6 days, and there's a fair bit of scrambling and some technical parts that I just don't want to negotiate with HPA in my pack. As much as I LOVE my Leshiy, I'd like to buy or build a custom pumper capable of ~50-75y.

@legionair - bingo, self-sustained is the key-phrase! I'd love to build a 1377, but I'd probably wind up with a 1322 if I went that route, since I have a TON of .22 ammo already. Then again, my primary targets would be grouse exactly as @socaloldman said, and some rodents and other small varmints that I would be picking off in and around my camps.

@Thundermtn - thanks, I'm definitely going to look into the KT!

OK, here’s a question for ya. Is something like a Leshiy & a small SCBA (Omega 18cf) in a backpack an option for you? The hand pump as noted above could also be an option.

Ha, I think I answered that as you were typing! TL;DR - nope, I love my Leshiy and I have a 90ci tank and a Hill pump, I took the pump out with the Leshiy once (too heavy to be enjoyable amongst the rest of my mountaineering gear), and I had second thoughts on bringing my smaller tank for safety reasons - which led to me dismissing the whole idea of bringing a PCP on the more dangerous multi-day treks in the mountains.

I'm getting intrigued by the idea of a power tuned 1377 with an LW barrel! 🤔 

Lighter , powerful and with an incorporated pump :D

1563538226_9911956535d31b332d7cf82.07147021_blue-and-orange-hey-play-pool-toys-hw3500055-64_1000.jpg

LOL! 

Bob Sterne in the GTA forum has a VERY interesting thread on converting a Discovery to pumper. Perhaps that could give you some ideas ?

I've been playing with pumpers just about my whole time in my airgun hobby. None really meet your criteria that I've had. Some are light but can't mount a scope effectively... Cros, Sheridan. Some you can mount a scope ok and are compact... 1322... but aren't really powerful enough. Most that I've had that take a scope and have power ... Sharp, Daystate, Titan.... are single shot and heavy.

I'm really intrigued by Bob's pumper Disco. Hope you find a worthy solution.

Bob 

OK, here’s a question for ya. Is something like a Leshiy & a small SCBA (Omega 18cf) in a backpack an option for you? The hand pump as noted above could also be an option.

Ha, I think I answered that as you were typing! TL;DR - nope, I love my Leshiy and I have a 90ci tank and a Hill pump, I took the pump out with the Leshiy once (too heavy to be enjoyable amongst the rest of my mountaineering gear), and I had second thoughts on bringing my smaller tank for safety reasons - which led to me dismissing the whole idea of bringing a PCP on the more dangerous multi-day treks in the mountains.

I'm getting intrigued by the idea of a power tuned 1377 with an LW barrel!
1f914.svg

Now you’re talking! That LW barrel is going to make head shots 10x easier

Bob Sterne in the GTA forum has a VERY interesting thread on converting a Discovery to pumper. Perhaps that could give you some ideas ?

I've been playing with pumpers just about my whole time in my airgun hobby. None really meet your criteria that I've had. Some are light but can't mount a scope effectively... Cros, Sheridan. Some you can mount a scope ok and are compact... 1322... but aren't really powerful enough. Most that I've had that take a scope and have power ... Sharp, Daystate, Titan.... are single shot and heavy.

I'm really intrigued by Bob's pumper Disco. Hope you find a worthy solution.

Bob

12 FPE with .22 is plenty of power to take small game perhaps you haven’t seen what them boys across the pond can do with low FPS/fpe. Although for longer range shot you will definitely want more power

Custom build 1300KT, LW barrel and see if someone can make a folding stock for it, would be your best bet for longer trecks/survival purposes of smaller game as well as a hoot to have along on any trips into the woods/wilderness.

Another option, as Loren has suggested, and perhaps 2nd best for your purpose would be a an older Sheridan or Benjamin. I mention older model due to the smaller, slimmer stocks. The older Benjamin with the tootsie roll front pump arm I believe would be the smaller of the two rifles and both very dependable and accurate. I would also send the rifle off to Tim McMurry to have it rebuilt with his steroid mod. 

Tim has even taken a newer benji 392, perform his majic and restocked it to the old stock specs, being smaller and slimmer with the small tootsie roll pump arm. First saw this mod from him at the first "Paciific Airgun Expo" a few years back. Small and just might be the ticket, how ever the older smaller benjy's were/are a better pumper than today's pumpers. And as already stated the Sheridan, the older smaller model with a rocker safety would be a fine choice also.

Decisions, decisions, have fun with it. Would love to hear what you end up doing!

Cheers,

Mike

To get serious power out of a pump gun, especially if you are thinking slugs, you are going to be a pumping madman. If you didn’t want to see your Hill pump after a 4 day excursion, you will wind up throwing the 1377 off a cliff with your good hand that isn’t covered in blisters.

That's not a concern. Hauling the extra weight of pump in my pack across technical mountain terrain in the other hand is an issue! I don't see taking more than a few shots with slugs (if I were even shooting them).. just looking for the capability of doing so with this build.