• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ideal air rifle scope competition - Scope with highest score wins.

Rather than opening a topic on a specific scope and asking what people thought, I thought I would start this thread by listing scope features then assigning weighted points to each feature. These points can then be toted up to give a score for any given scope and so provide a means of comparing scopes.

AIMS, RULES & GENERAL NOTES:
  1. There are two main ways of using a scope, namely holding-off and doping. For holding off, a reticle must not only have elevation markings, but also markings for windage at various elevations, these recticles are often called HORUS, or Christmas tree reticules. Doping a scope requires moving the crosshairs such that the centre of the crosshairs forms the point of aim. The doping approach is by far more demanding of a scope than holding-off, as features such as tracking and range of adjustment become important aspects of a scope's capabilities. Therefore when specifying a scope feature, it helps to know if that feature contributes to aiding the hold-off approach (H), or the doping approach (D) or both (HD). Scopes that are designed to accommodate the doping approach to shooting are commonly referred to as "Tactical" scopes and are generally more expensive than hold-off scopes commonly referred to as "Sporting/Hunting" scopes. Sporting/Hunting preferring hold-off because of the time factor required to dial things in when using the doping method.
  2. The scope being sought here should accommodate both the H and the D style of shooting.
  3. Any feature that makes the life of the shooter easier can be included in the list of features.
  4. Only features that are already present in existing scopes can be added to the list of features.
  5. Important features should be marked with (I).
  6. Nice to have features should be marked with (N).
  7. Each recommended scope should be accompanied with a score based on its features, calculated as follows, 3 points for each included important feature, 1 point for each included nice to have feature.
  8. To help the reader understand which features have gone into making up a recommended scope's score, the score should be displayed in the following format (3a+3g+1i+1v = 8).
  9. The scope with the highest score wins.
  10. All entries should quote a price and a link to the website where the scope can be bought at the stated price.
  11. Needless to say the scope must be of sufficient quality and ruggedness to do it's job in the field.
    [/LIST=1]
    So without further a do I will start the ball rolling with the following list:

IMPORTANT FEATURES LIST:
    • (a) First Focal Plane reticle (HDI)
    • (b) MIL-MIL or MOA-MOA (DI)
    • (c) MIL or MOA calibrated reticle (HDI)
    • (d) Reticle with calibrated Christmas tree like or HORUS like windage markings (HI)
    • (e) Tactical/Exposed elevation and windage turrets (DI)
    • (f) At least a 30mm tube (DI)
    • (g) Focus/Parallax down to 10 metres or less (HDI)
    • (h) Side operated focus/parallax (HDI)
    • (j) Illuminated reticle (HDI)
    • (k) Variable magnification (HDI)
    • (l) x15 magnification or above (HDI)
    • (m) Available worldwide (HDI)
    NICE TO HAVES FEATURES LIST:
    • (i) Choice of colour of illuminated reticle (HDN)
    • (ii) Sun shade included (HDN)
    • (iii) Spirit level internal to the scope (HDN)
    • (iv) Lockable eye piece focus ring (HDN)
    • (v) Lens caps that fold all the way back on to the scope (HDN)
    • (vi) Half MIL (or MOA equivalent) reticle markings
    THE MAXIMUM SCORE ANY SCOPE CAN HAVE IS THEREFORE 42

Let the search begin...

Make & Model
Schmit & Bender 12.5-50x56 Field Target

Score:
(3a+3b+3c+3d+3f+3g+3h+3j+3k+3l+3m+1ii+1vi = 35 out of 42)

Price:
£2,263 (yep, that's outside of my budget, but thought I would include it as it has all but one of the important features)

Link:
http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/674b27b9705e1fd938689987/Schmidt+and+Bender+Field+Target+12-a-8-f-35-50x56/

Notes:
This particular item does not have the illuminated reticle, but this model can be bought with such a reticle as an option. The full catalogue can be downloaded from (see page 30):

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/downloads/catalogs/category/11-full-catalogue-2014.html?download=29%3Acatalog-2014-en