ID vintage Crosman 760's?

The top one is indeed the anniversary model once more made to look like my 760 variant 1 which was dated, " 60" on the pump tube endcap. They were dated that way on the ones made before July 1975. The "60" meant June 1970. After July 1975, the first 3-4 numbers of the serial number is the build date. Rather odd that an, " anniversary" model has the later plastic receiver and bolt? The metal receiver and brass bolt should've been used. They were self-cocking back then as well. The ones with the plastic receiver and plastic Remington Nylon 66-like bolt are manual cocking. That is to say, it isn't cocked until you pull the bolt back to load it.

The bottom one is a variant 4, like mine, built January 1978. A year later than mine, built January 1977. What's the odds of that? The first three digits of the serial number are the build date. In this case, "178", which normally would be expressed as "1/78". The 760 variant 4 likely has the full-length smooth-bore barrel like mine too? But it shoots straight, so that's okay. Just don't shoot BB's through them and the barrel will be/stay more accurate with pellets. They seem to like the JSB Exact Express 7.87gr, H&N Sniper light 7.5gr, & Beeman Silver Bear 7.1gr. Which makes sense, as they were tested with 7.9gr pellets! Steel BB's aren't good for those old, " soda straw" barrels. And thanks for the kind words Stefanjan. I love the vintage Crossman's! I've seen like-new, never fired or very little 760's go for as much as $175 on the auctions. The 760XL & 761XL models with the brass-plated receivers, rifled barrels, & unique stocks for as much as $275!

My 760 variant 1, 6/70 restomodded;

View attachment 18683

And my 760 variant 4, 1/77 cleaned up with a period-correct Weaver V22-A Dual X scope with Simmons rings;

View attachment 18700
This is my post. I must've deleted the old acct during time I was hacked? I have the 25th anniversary model. Smoothbore, 1991 as I remember?

I have a 761xl that is self cocking and I’ve very nice condition. It has a weird serial number though. It is 00000715. Does anyone know what that indicates? There are no numbers stamped on the pump tube cap.
I was told it is late seventies possibly.
it has a rectangular bb loading port not a teardrop one and is all metal and wood.
mid there a chance they would have released a self cocking model after they started using manual cocking?
View attachment 19088View attachment 19104View attachment 19115
Yours is the variant 1 model. I have 2 of'em. Later models didn't have the fancy engraving on the receivers. Rifled barrels as well, so I don't shoot BB's through them.

I got a 760 somewhere in the 1970's, maybe 73 or 74. It had the gold bolt knob and rectangular loading port for BB's on the left side. Also don't remember it have big markings on the receiver like many later ones. I can remember the buttstock was synthetic with molded in checkering, thinking the forearm was the same but it could have been plain.
That was my first pneumatic gun and one that wasn't a hand me down from my older brothers, it was big time for a pre-teenager!

What was that variation/model called?

Reactions: Treefrog
I got a 760 somewhere in the 1970's, maybe 73 or 74. It had the gold bolt knob and rectangular loading port for BB's on the left side. Also don't remember it have big markings on the receiver like many later ones. I can remember the buttstock was synthetic with molded in checkering, thinking the forearm was the same but it could have been plain.
That was my first pneumatic gun and one that wasn't a hand me down from my older brothers, it was big time for a pre-teenager!

What was that variation/model called?

That's about the 4th variant of the 760. They went to a wood forearm with the heavy plastic butt-stock after that. Here's a pic of the rusty '71 model that I found at a swap meet. It cleaned up pretty well. And a '74 model with the wood forearm.

J~

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

I suppose then if I have a 760 with all the earmark signs of being an early model, and the only number on it exists on the end cap of the air tube, that number being 50, then suffice to say this baby was made in May of 1970. Am I correct?

Yes.

If it hasn't been a victim of someone swapping parts around. I've seen a few of those. There's nothing more dangerous to a 760 than a thirteen year-old armed with a screwdriver.

Cheers,

J~

Reactions: Mycapt65
Love those with the wood stocks, wood forearms, brass bolt and rifled barrel. I have a 761XL with these features currently being resealed.

Here's one that I picked up at the flea market, repaired, refinished and gave to my little brother back in '81. It had the gold-colored receiver when I gave it to him. Somewhere along the way he swapped parts around, but the wood is still pretty. The rifled barrel it had ended up on another one.

IMG_1961.JPG

J~

Reactions: JDR
Good afternoon,
Just picked up a 1988 model c 760.
It does not build pressure but I knew that before I bought it.
The overall condition of the gun is really good. No missing parts, it cocks, not a lot of rust and trigger operates correctly.
Just wondering if anyone has experience rebuilding this particular model and if so what should I be aware of.
Thanks,
Mark

I am not sure. I am basing the date of mine on the serial # 488218579. It also says 760 model c on the receiver. Both the pump arm and the stock are plastic. At 1st glance the pump arm looks like wood but it is plastic. to me the 0488 would also mean April 1988. not sure about the 67 though.
Does yours build pressure ?
Yes, but I had to rebuild it.