I would like to ask EVERYONE a question…

So much good advice here, you are wise to see the value of asking questions.
Here’s a book that you might find useful, it’s definitely worth looking at.
Enjoy your adventure!

CAD15784-D31C-469C-9F6D-9823B41195EA.jpeg

Reactions: Maizen
( honestly ) - I haven't read ALL of the responses to your original post - indeed you appear to have found a wealth of valuable feedback. The singular thing I might add, if it hasn't been said already, is to learn as much about whatever you pursue and then be able to discuss / talk about it with others in a way that anyone can understand. One of my very favorite quotes is the attached. I originally picked it up 40 years ago from Readers Digest magazine that we used to have a subscription to as kids ( likely a USA thing? ). I just googled it to see if I was / have been recalling it pretty much verbatim after all these years and it turns out that it may have been in fact sourced from someone *VERY* smart. You're pursuing a medical degree - my personal preference with doctors are those that have this capacity - to be able to break down what can be very complicated subjects so that a "regular average Joe" like myself can understand.

einstein_explain.jpeg

Reactions: Maizen and Bernie7
Honestly, at 21 years old and in med school, focus on the schooling and with today's dating environment where most young girls look at men as a financial benefactor, stay single. You are on the path to be a high value man and that will draw all the wrong one's attention.

Not saying they're all bad, but even the good ones are a huge distraction.

Before anyone starts raving and calling me a misogynist because you and your wife of 40 years are peas in a pod... its not the same world nowadays, trust me.
Actually I think most girls don't know there gender and want to be boys. LOL I glad I'm old and not dealing with todays society.

Actually I think most girls don't know there gender and want to be boys. LOL I glad I'm old and not dealing with todays society.
I wish I had a time machine. I'd go back to the 50s where everyone was nice and knew which bathroom they used, everyone had class and self respect and discipline.

I'd get out, look to make sure it was where I was wanting to be, and smash that damn thing to pieces and never look back.

Sure, I wouldn't have my air guns or cool tools and toys, but its worth it to be able walk down the street and meet everyone with a smile on their face and actually look each other in the eye and say good day with a nod.

If chasing the all mighty dollar is your primary pursuit ? You MAY and likely WILL miss out on much of life's experiences of being able to do much stuff in day to day, weekends with friends etc .. that could become further building blocks in how you view the world and really where you fit in or don't.

Many times chasing down a dream leaves leaves some unable to sleep :unsure:

Reactions: Maizen and 450BM
Lots of excellent sage advice. I’m amazed no one has said this yet (unless I missed it). A healthy mind relies on a healthy body. Cardio will reduce stress during your studies and help you retain information. Lifting and strength will fight depression and increase confidence. Eating right will result in more energy.

Also as someone who’s much closer in age to you, social media is cancer. Don’t compare yourself to anything you see, it’s the top 1% of the top 1% in either some manner of success, or some form of stupid.

Good luck, nice knowing I’m not the AGN baby : )

A cat was crossing a railroad track one day and as he went across, a train sped by and lopped off a part of his tail... he ran startled and then after a short time, went back to retrieve his severed tail. As he reached his head across the track to pick it up, another train sped by and took his head off.

Moral of the story: Dont lose your head over a piece of tail!

The problem with doctorate level degrees is that they come with commensurate student loans. Pharmacist here so 8 years to get the Doctor, you'll likely be around 11-15years by the time you're done, depending on if you specialize or decide on GP. That's a lot of tuition. And, while many have counseled against student loans, with the tuition these days, I don't think a D is possible without at least some. Saw a report a few years ago that the average debt of an MD/D0 is north of $500,000. Mine wasn't that bad, but was mortgage-level, at least in some parts of the country.

Anyway, my career mentor (he actually talked me out of med school and into pharmacy but that's another story) counseled my wife and I to continue to live like we had as poor college kids after graduation and licensure. His advice was to do that until my student loans were gone.

So we did. I picked up a second job and worked six days a week for a year and a half to wipe out the debt. While my friends from school were buying brand new vehicles and having houses built, my wife and I rented a double wide trailer and continued to drive the same vehicles we always had. After the student loans were gone we bought a starter house, which we sold about 3 years ago when things were high and took that money and bought a slightly bigger home that needed completely renovated, but sits on two acres in a place we wanted to live.

Where I'm going with all that is that the best advice I've ever received was to knock out those student loans by continuing to live poor, even though the paychecks were decent.

My second piece of advice........In the medical field we see difficult things, people dying during codes, drug addicts throwing giant temper tantrums to try to get you to do what they want, sick kids, families being asked to pull the plug or discuss putting their father on hospice, etc etc In short, stressful situations and sometimes dealing with people at their worst. Let airguns be your fun. Don't try to turn it into a job. You'll need something that you enjoy and is a complete escape from your day-to-day. For me that something is airguns. Trying to turn airguns into a money-making venture would suck the fun right out of it.
That's pretty much what I was going to say about making a into a job. I've loved M/C my whole life but when I went into being a M/c mechanic I found I really didn't want to have anything to do with my bikes. Moved on to working in aerospace and regained my love of M/C. Working in aerospace turned out to be very interesting on top of that. Remember, being a Doc on top of the stress of dealing with all of the emotions you have to deal with insurance companies who are doing everything they can to make more profit.

Reactions: Maizen and 450BM
The quickest way to ruin the satisfaction of a hobby is to turn it into a business.
The thing is though…I have never been more satisfied. I‘ve got to own so many air rifles that I drooled over as a 12 year old…made it all a reality. The explanation is complicated but I understand what you’re saying. For me, this is my way of enjoying a job I love.

Who you marry will change your life either for the better or for the worse. If you get married without a prenup agreement then you have a blank contract that a judge will fill in during the divorce and it will be in your wife's favor. You can't believe what a lying woman can do to you in court. There should be a deep friendship with the woman you choose and that takes time to develop. Two people working together can create a fantastic life but if one is working against the other then it's a poop sandwich that you are forced to eat.

It’s going to be 2023 soon, and I want to ask you all…what lessons in life lead you to succeed?

My name is Mustafa and I am 21 years old, so I’m fairly young relative to other members here. I want to lead a life built on success and knowing the lessons that will lead me there is a head start that I’d like to have. The airgun community has always been kind to me, and I have never run into someone bad in this community. Maybe I ran into 1 or 2 people having a bad day, but I believe everyone in this community is good overall.

I want to get help from everyone here as this community is filled to the brim with well accomplished individuals. I appreciate your time in advance.

I intend to start my own business (kind of like Utahairguns) and also offer repair and tuning services as well. I am an aspiring doctor who is optimistically about 2 years out from medical school and as a side business after Med school, I want to make a successful business in this industry from the knowledge I have and will have gained from all of you.

Regards

Edit: Thanks guys…you’re all awesome 🥹

View attachment 317108
The 3,D’s = dedication, discipline and devotion when you have those three add determination!

I’ve learned three basic truths that may sound simple but took years to understand: first, you can’t be late if you don’t care what time it is. Second, you can’t be lost if you don’t care where you are. Third, quit worrying about it. If there is a problem you fix, do so. If you can’t fix it there’s no point in worrying about it. My life makes a lot more sense now.

Rick H.

Oh wow, if I could go back and give my 21 year old self advice, the things I would have to say.
1. You're going to hear it often, SAVE. Now, I spent most of my time in my 20s blowing money as fast as it hit my hand and having a good time. Did I learn some things a long the way? Absolutely! Do I think you should live the life of a penny pincher? Absolutely not! However, if there's one revelation I wish I'd had sooner, its the revelation of compounding interest. It is a thing, use it to your advantage, the earlier you start, the easier it is.
2. Man, enjoy yourself, you're only this young once. You're at an age when you're young enough to do things and old enough most people can't tell you not to. Its a magical time, enjoy it because it won't last long! Additionally, be aware that while you bounce back well now, in 10, 15, 20 years those injuries will come back to visit you, every freaking time the barometric pressure does something weird.
3. Life is going to throw you some curveballs along the way, its going to put some interesting people in your path, and sometimes its going to outright dump on you. Try, best you can, to learn from them, all of them. Almost everyone has something to teach you, maybe not what you think you need in the moment, but you'd be shocked the things that come back later to help you out.
4. Red rubber catheters, boss, the things you can do with a red rubber catheter will amaze you. I'll never forget a patient chewing through a trach and everyone freaking out because it was now a loose tube in the patients trachea. Enter a seasoned doctor, he slips a red rubber catheter on a syringe, slides it down the lumen of the trach, inflates it, and slides the chunk of trach tube back out like it was just another day at the office.
5. Never underestimate the value of having a backup plan to your backup plan. Assume plan A will go to hell in a hand basket and have B-E ready to go, it will make a bad situation fell much less stressful.

Loosely, and only b/c he mentioned wanting to have a side-business airgun store sort of thing.

Consider who he's asking. Airgunners are primarily a bunch of old farts that have made the types of financial decisions in their lives to produce enough disposable income for them to purchase sometimes MULTIPLE $2000+ toys. Then you add on scopes and bipods and pellets and compressors and tanks, and etc. Airgunning ain't cheap and seems to be populated by generally successful individuals (always outliers of course). And before anybody gets offended by the old farts comment, I'd take a guess that the average age here is 55-65.
Well actually I'm little older than average...lol. I will always go out of my way to give advice to respectful young people...they are breath of fresh air...if someone wants finicial advice don't ask someone who's BROKE...The AGN members I know are the likes of engineers dentists plant managers among others who "killed it" and dragged it home for DECADES of hard work...44 years for me...and by the way it is difficult to prosper working only 40 hr weeks...oh and my wife worked even longer than me...together we worked 95 years to get where we are today living on an island with a beautiful view of the gulf of Mexico...wealth/net worth are created in a "crock pot" not a "microwave"....95 years working together to succeed...it was worth it...I tell young kids all the time I would trade my entire net worth to them for their youth...and do it all over again...We have earned the privilege of spending money on some frivolous things...we can afford it...yeah I help others to achieve success in life...in most cases they don't listen because it is HARD WORK. Been there done that got the Tee shirt.