I would like to ask EVERYONE a question…

Some advice I have not seen here, yet...listen. Listen to others describe the mistakes they have made. Listen to others describe the successes they have had. Then, apply that cumulative knowledge to your situation. Successful people do not always appear successful. Appearances are an illusion.

Last edited:
FWIW... I highly recommend listening to Jocko Willink on Spotify (or anywhere else). He has long form interviews with successful people from all walks of life with a bias towards military veterans. He is driven to succeed by a relentless fire in his belly.

I also suggest you listen to and learn all you can from Jordan Peterson. He is a brilliant psychoanalyst.

I like to see good things happen to good people. Drive on, young man. Catch your dreams!

It’s going to be 2023 soon, and I want to ask you all…what lessons in life lead you to succeed?

My name is Mustafa and I am 21 years old, so I’m fairly young relative to other members here. I want to lead a life built on success and knowing the lessons that will lead me there is a head start that I’d like to have. The airgun community has always been kind to me, and I have never run into someone bad in this community. Maybe I ran into 1 or 2 people having a bad day, but I believe everyone in this community is good overall.

I want to get help from everyone here as this community is filled to the brim with well accomplished individuals. I appreciate your time in advance.

I intend to start my own business (kind of like Utahairguns) and also offer repair and tuning services as well. I am an aspiring doctor who is optimistically about 2 years out from medical school and as a side business after Med school, I want to make a successful business in this industry from the knowledge I have and will have gained from all of you.

Regards

View attachment 316893
Mustafa, you and I have corresponded quite a bit on private messaging while you bought my airgun, so I have a pretty good idea of your character, your manners, and your demeanor. I will say in front of everyone here that you impressed me greatly and I am shocked to read now that you are only 21yo. Your parents did a great job with you

So far, you are doing everything right. Your character will guide you on the right path because the foundation is already there. The only advice that I can give you is to make Med School and then a medical career your priority right now, because any business, even a small one, is a monster that will take much of your time and efforts, and every doctor I know is stretched to the limit already.

That said, keep your airgun passion alive and see what the future brings you

What does all this have to do with air guns?
Loosely, and only b/c he mentioned wanting to have a side-business airgun store sort of thing.

Consider who he's asking. Airgunners are primarily a bunch of old farts that have made the types of financial decisions in their lives to produce enough disposable income for them to purchase sometimes MULTIPLE $2000+ toys. Then you add on scopes and bipods and pellets and compressors and tanks, and etc. Airgunning ain't cheap and seems to be populated by generally successful individuals (always outliers of course). And before anybody gets offended by the old farts comment, I'd take a guess that the average age here is 55-65.

I’m not going to try and one up any of the advice given here as I wish I was given the advice all the folks have given you when I was your age- great job AGN folks!!

The only piece I can offer is look past the ladder climb of life and deep into retirement. Let’s face it, you’re gonna one day want to hang it up, whatever you’re doing, and prepare for it by guaranteeing yourself a pension. A livable one, not one where you halfway retire but gotta go work in a convenience store to fund the rest of your life’s needs. Don’t rely on SS as your retirement as that won’t be enough.

Lastly- make sure you have some form of health care in place. At 21 years old it’s easy to think and say you won’t need medical assistance, but think of that popcorn kernels you bite down on one day and crack a tooth that leaves you in pain. That could easily happen to anyone, and is easily a bill into the thousands to repair. It would suck to have to sell your pcp’s to get a tooth fixed.

These are the two important things I can offer a kid your age. Right now all that’s on your mind is “making and leaving your mark”, but trust me on this one, as you will be a part of the golden years before you know it, and you better be prepared.

Loosely, and only b/c he mentioned wanting to have a side-business airgun store sort of thing.

Consider who he's asking. Airgunners are primarily a bunch of old farts that have made the types of financial decisions in their lives to produce enough disposable income for them to purchase sometimes MULTIPLE $2000+ toys. Then you add on scopes and bipods and pellets and compressors and tanks, and etc. Airgunning ain't cheap and seems to be populated by generally successful individuals (always outliers of course). And before anybody gets offended by the old farts comment, I'd take a guess that the average age here is 55-65.
Exactly…but I don’t call them old farts lol. I address them with seniority and respect 🫡

Reactions: 450BM
Be adaptable. What you plan right now may not be the path you end up following.
Times change as do opportunities. One who only knows one way of earning a living soon ends up in a bad situation.
I came from a poor family. There was no higher schooling then High School for me. Not even a dream of going that way.
I wanted so bad to be a Fighter Pilot when I was young. I ended up as a Sniper in the Army.

Exactly…but I don’t call them old farts lol. I address them with seniority and respect 🫡
Treat an older woman like your mother and an older man like your father. Treat everybody else like they're better than you.
When looking out for #1 make sure you don't step in #2