• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

I would like an air stripper for my .457 Texan carbine

I have a .457 Texan carbine with the carbon fiber bottle and tx2 valve. I use a Donnyfl to help with the excessive sound. When I am hunting I would like to keep it a short rifle and use an air stripper. My carbine is actually more accurate with the Donnyfl on it And hoping an air stripper could keep it accurate. Can anyone advise one that would fit the Donnyfl threaded adapter I have on there. I would appreciate any help finding a quality air stripper.

Thanks in advance

So, your goal for hunting is a shorter rifle that is as accurate as possible; even though it will be loud? I would imagine that any air stripper that has a mating thread to the DFL adapter would do. Else, you can have one custom made.

The first question is what male thread does the adaptor have? I would imagine something like M18 x 1 mm, but without knowing that, you are hoping someone has the exact configuration you have in mind. Probably the reason for a lack of comments on your thread.

Are you sure that there is a grouping problem with the DFL moderator off? Perhaps grouping is adequate without the moderator and better with it on? With such a large caliber the projectile weight is likely going to be enough that air stripping may be less of a factor than barrel harmonics. What you might be looking for is an airstripper barrel harmonic tuner combination. But that will be longer and heavier, if all you believe you need is an air stripper. I mention barrel harmonics in case adding a short light air stripper does not produce the benefit you expect, and then you feel cheated.

You should have some idea of how long an air stripper you have in mind. The simplest kind would look a bit like a muzzle brake on a WW2 howitzer. Short and to the point.

If you take some pictures of your air rifle muzzle with the moderator off, and the dimensions of the handguard, I can cook up a design for a basic air stripper. The thread designation is the most important thing. Ideally, a simple brake or air stripper could be machined from aluminum. It could be made more fancy with a cone havening an adjustable stand-off distance from the muzzle.

Are you concerned with recoil reduction? If so, is that an important factor? I ask because simple perpendicular vents are the simplest to machine. Else, rearward jetting vents could be to reduce the recoil further, but it increases the complexity of the part.

Below are some ideas for a 3000 FPE 20 mm air rifle. The owner has a metal muzzle brake and claimed 3D printing was the only way to produce it. So, I came up with machined baffles and plates that could be welded together, if one wanted to. There are also some other brake ideas I did at the time.

The simplest brake is only show in section with two red arrows, indicating air flow direction. In one direction (A) the brake works best at air stripping. In the other (B) is works best at recoil reduction. The angle of the ports could be optimized for air stripping, but for the best combination, turned inserts can be added - as used with the other designs.

I see these designs as way overkill for your .457, as the recoil on that is nothing compared to the 20 mm monster. I have some other muzzle brake designs, if I can remember who I did them for, I can find the designs

Marko brake 20 mm welded.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm welded top.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm welded top section.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm welded side top section.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm welded top and bottom plates milled.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm welded baffle turned and milled.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm 2.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm 3.JPG

Marko brake 20 mm 5.JPG

Air dstripping or recoil redction1.JPG

Air dstripping or recoil redction.JPG

Reactions: crittahitta
Below is a very basic machinable muzzle brake/air stripper design I did for someone else - see images. Note that the mating thread is not shown, and that the hole for the thread is shown smaller than it would need to be to accept the barrel stud - or adaptor stud. This is the sort of thing I would recommend for you, unless you want something more fancy.

All I need to know is the mounting thread, and the max outside dimensions you can tolerate, or want.

I can designs a more efficient compact air stripper that could only be made by 3D printing from metal. Tony claims best pricing for prints in any material - including 17-4 pH stainless steel; so you might see what he has to say - assuming there is a design for him to quote on:

Basic muzzle brake.JPG

Basic muzzle brake5.JPG

Basic muzzle brake3.JPG

Basic muzzle brake4.JPG

Basic muzzle brake2.JPG

Basic muzzle brake9.JPG

Basic muzzle brake8.JPG

Basic muzzle brake7.JPG

Basic muzzle brake6.JPG

Last edited:
So, I found that the DFL adaptor for the .457 Texan has a M18 x 1 mm thread. I looked at images and assumed the stud is 12 mm long. The Texan barrel shroud / forend looks about 50 mm outside diameter. I used this info / assumptions to design a muzzle brake / air stripper that could be printed from PETG - so many people could do it for you. I could recommend someone, if you like. See images below.

The attached zip file contains the STL print file, and the STEP file for this part. Since I started drafting this reply, I created a second version of the brake that has a rear flange to better stabilize it against the adapter in the vertical direction. Both types of brake will need to be "timed" with shim washers to place the flats top and bottom - although that is not essential for function. It has more to due with reducing the blowing up of dust.

If any of my info or assumed dimensions are bad, please let me know. I will update the design, if indicated.

The parts need to be printed with the mounting threads pointing up, else the cones will not print correctly and the thread may not fit.

The intent is to print at 100 % infill, although a low percentage infill may be used, provided the total inner and outer "wall" thickness adds to 4 mm. Else the part may not be strong enough.

Print files:
View attachment .457 Texan Muzzle Brake Air Stripper.zip

The image order is a little jumbled because I attached them en masse:

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm p.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm q.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm n.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm m.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm l.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm k.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm o.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm j.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm i.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm g.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm h.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm f.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm e.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm d.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm c.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm b.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm.JPG

Print with flange pointing up.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm with rear flange 2.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm with rear flange 4.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm with rear flange 3.JPG

Texan muzzle brake M18 x 1 mm with rear flange.JPG

Last edited:
crittahitta,

Thanks for the thumbsups. It would be nice if you would express interest in trying out the latest version of the brake/stripper (or not), or adding info to improve it.

If you are waiting to see if anyone else pops up with info I can understand that, but it would be nice to hear a definitive statement from you. In case no one has anything they wish to add, I thought I would try to see what I can find about what has been said about Texan muzzle brakes and air strippers. There seems to have been more discussion on GTA than AGN:

More GTA links: https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...APgBAeIDBBgAIEGIBgE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#ip=1

More from AGN: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.airgunnation.com/+Texan+muzzle+brake

I agree that of a suitable metal one can be found, that is the way to go. The reason for a custom design is the emphasis on air stripping to improve grouping, rather than reduce recoil. The clue is in the short stand-off distance between barrel muzzle and the first cone face; and the longer second cone stand-off from the first cone.

As for a custom printed design, that can be made out of metal too. If machined as one piece, I would simplify the design. The reason why I made the basic diameter 50 mm was to match the handguard diameter.

Anyway, the OP seems rather disinterested in his own thread, and I have done enough "damage", so I am going to bail. If anyone wants my attention, PM me.

Last edited:
I have a .457 Texan carbine with the carbon fiber bottle and tx2 valve. I use a Donnyfl to help with the excessive sound. When I am hunting I would like to keep it a short rifle and use an air stripper. My carbine is actually more accurate with the Donnyfl on it And hoping an air stripper could keep it accurate. Can anyone advise one that would fit the Donnyfl threaded adapter I have on there. I would appreciate any help finding a quality air stripper.

Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20231215_212519_Chrome.jpg

There have m18×1