I won another R7!

Congratulations: Coops. I join you with an "amen" about the R-7. My first air rifle of a higher quality was an R-7, which was mounted with a Beeman (2-7) Scope, which I bought off the rack at the Beeman Shop in Santa Rosa, CA, many moons ago.. Moving to it from the sorts of air guns I had been used to as a boy was like moving from a Model-T to a sports car -- a Vette, Jag, or Porche.. I couldn't get over the quality of its workmanship, but it was the surprising accuracy, smooth cocking, and simple joy of shooting that captivated me, and kept me in the air gun world. I had originally bought the R-7 to supply my hunting hawks with sparrows and/or starlings. I was into falconry and rehabbing then, and my Goshawk, Coopers, and Sharp-shinned hawks, and even my Red-tailed hawks and Harris hawks required wild birds in their diet from time to time. The R-7 provided all the sparrows and starlings my hawks needed to keep them in fine fettle, feather, and in high hunting condition. I am too old for falconry now, but I wish I had never sold that R-7 My current air rifle is a Walther LG 55, with a Tyrolean stock, which I have converted into a sporter. and topped with a 4-16 Leapers scope, after replacing a worn out spring and tarring it. The Scope focuses down to 5 yards, which is necessary due to the distance restraints of my home range. The rig weighs a bit over six and a half pounds. It is a tack-driver, and far more accurate than I can hold. Still, it is a pleasure to shoot, just like the R-7 was, and as were several FWB 300 minis have been. All my rifles have been springers, but I did own and enjoyed shooting an FWB, P-30 pistol, when I had a full ten meter range. But there is something about the simplicity of a quality springer or single-stroke that appeals to me. Well, Coops, glad you were able to get a good deal on your latest R-7, and I know you will enjoy shooting it. Take Care, Mike

I have toyed with the idea of moving over to the "dark side," but I can have as much money wrapped up in fill equipment as I do a really nice gun. Then I have to worry about leaks, regulator operation, hammer spring tension, transfer port size... Its just a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I link tinkering with my guns. I will put a Vortek kit in them, add washers to get the right preload, test every pellet I own, run it over the chronograph until I lose sunlight, but there is just something wholesome and simple about it. When I just want to shoot, all I need is a gun and a tin of pellets. I can then shoot as much as I want and not worry about deadlines at work, kids' schedules, projects around the house, etc... Then maybe, about every 10,000 shots or so, a gun needs a spring. That's half an hour of work and I'm back to shooting. I don't enjoy shooting my powder burners this much.