I\'ve been watching the forums for a few years

For general discussion this is the forum to go to. But if you need specific information about a particular rifle or problem with one GTA is much better because of their specific airgun gates.

Airgun Nation is geared to general discussion and the darkside of airguns PCP. If you shoot Springer's you need to be on GTA it's much easier to get into a Springer discussion.

I agree with both of your posts, sir. To me, this is more of a social forum. If I want better tech info by folks who have expertise, I'll go to GTA. Never have i been raked over the coals there. I have been here.

For general discussion this is the forum to go to. But if you need specific information about a particular rifle or problem with one GTA is much better because of their specific airgun gates.

Airgun Nation is geared to general discussion and the darkside of airguns PCP. If you shoot Springer's you need to be on GTA it's much easier to get into a Springer discussion.

I agree with both of your posts, sir. To me, this is more of a social forum. If I want better tech info by folks who have expertise, I'll go to GTA. Never have i been raked over the coals there. I have been here.

👍

Both forums are great and have strong points. One of GTA's week points was pointed out. If you get bad service or product from a popular vendor, and think you are doing a service letting others know,. that is not popular. Saying that it changed my view. If some say "hey this is a great product" I need to think about that.

sparky

Exactly my finding when I was over there. There is a certain individual who has started, owned or worked for several different companies. I posted some very truthful information which put him into a bad light and I was (privately) chastised by those in charge. I was told that he was in business and needed to make $$$$ so my posts were not "needed" there. I then went and removed some of the information I provided on other subjects and was then banned from posting or editing my posts. I'm sure I'm not missing much over there.

You don't have to violate GTA's posted rules any more to get your post edited/removed. I recently had one removed because the new owner disagreed with me, but it in no way violated any rules or was an attack on anybody whatsoever. I would have expected an intellectual response...a debate over the validity or challenge the value of my perspective...if perhaps there was disagreement over my post. Sort of reminds me of the old ways of the Yellow. Look where that got them.

That said...there are still many, many tremendously helpful members of the GTA community who will bend over backwards to help someone. Lord knows I've learned a lot, benefited and hopefully contributed from there. Just 2 weeks ago some guy made me some spinner targets in response to a post and shipped them to me for free. Wouldn't even let me pay for shipping.

You don't have to violate GTA's posted rules any more to get your post edited/removed. I recently had one removed because the new owner disagreed with me, but it in no way violated any rules or was an attack on anybody whatsoever. I would have expected an intellectual response...a debate over the validity or challenge the value of my perspective...if perhaps there was disagreement over my post. Sort of reminds me of the old ways of the Yellow. Look where that got them.

That said...there are still many, many tremendously helpful members of the GTA community who will bend over backwards to help someone. Lord knows I've learned a lot, benefited and hopefully contributed from there. Just 2 weeks ago some guy made me some spinner targets in response to a post and shipped them to me for free. Wouldn't even let me pay for shipping.

New "Owner"? BigDave not in charge anymore?

I had a post removed here. Even got an accuracy point for it. Mysterious but no big deal. I have had guys get excited on both forums if I don’t validate their purchase or say things they don’t want to hear. If you have thin skin on any forum, you are eventually going to wind up sore over something. There seems to be a fine line between a disagreement and an attack for some people. We all have bad days or get rubbed wrong on some subjects. I let stuff slide unless it’s persistent. A bunch of really good guys on both forums far outweigh the entertaining knuckleheads that show up once and a while. For the guys that say this forum is perfect, say something negative about a FX. You will instantly be put on the stand and cross examined. May even be treated as a hostile witness. No forum is perfect.

The audience on AGN is definitely more inclined towards the higher end PCPs, like Daystate and FX where I’ve noticed GTA has a lot more people interested in the less expensive stuff. 

I had bad experiences on GTA when I was a noob that turned me off to their site. Members were rudely replying to my questions and then a moderator chewed me out in a PM because of a post I made. When you combine that with the ancient tech and difficulty of posting a picture, I don’t go there much anymore. Maybe once a month if I’m bored.

I found the community here to be much more friendly and welcoming.

The other air gun forum I belong to is Airgunforum.co.uk. It is British. I find it interesting because air guns are about all they are allowed to own over there. Scotland is even worse, needing government permission to own a air gun. Being an American, I get jabbed now and then. I don't think it's all because a few don't "like"us, but more a matter of envy of us in general. When someone takes a "shot" at me, I confuse them with my great sense of humor. They like small game hunting (squirrels and rabbits mostly) as well as getting rid of barnyard rats. Because they have no "public hunting lands", they have to get what they call "permissions" to hunt on private land and farms. I got onto the British stuff because their monthly air gun magazine, Airgun World, is far better than any other air gun magazine I'm aware of. The neat thing I'm learning is how to speak "English". A whole new world of blokes, lads, and mates.

JoeH, there's a lotta good, solid information on that site. I monitor it, actually, I'm a member who's never posted, but I think it's a pretty fine forum.

There seem to be a few US members, but few post. Aside from airguns, it's interesting to see how they are coping with "virus lock-down". They seem more "hard hit" than we are, although I have not mentioned it (I'm waiting for a Brit to shoot his mouth off). On a "per 100,000 people" basis, the deaths are US 14, Britain 28.