I think we have an issue...

This afternoon, after I got home from work, I saw a package sitting out on the porch and was reminded that I had bought a few tins of JSB 33.95 Jumbo Kings from PA.

OKaaaay, Mr. AEA Varmint had not eaten any of these yet and since there are so many good report on them bing very accurate, I thought that I would load up a magazine of them and go to the range, sit at the bench and see what they do. Well, just as I sat down, Bob (the grey squirrel that lost its tail in a dog fight last year) came down out of the Oak tree next to the 50y range and started planting acorns. I like Bob but sighted in on him just to appreciate this funny looking squirrel.

Then it happened. Mr Red squirrel jumped down off the pile of pallets SWMBO has for her raised bed garden and started yelling at Bob!

Mr Red sits on the wood pile (100 feet long, 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall) and controls SWMBO and I as we navigate the yard and eats the pine cones normally but he never goes in to the back yard where Bob lives and frankly, I was just about fed up with Red yelling at me anyway and with him chasing Bob and yelling at him, I guess I snapped.

Red jumped up on the trailer, faced Bob, who by now had retreated back up the Oak tree and started hollering again, I swept him with the BugBuster, set the crosshairs on him just behind the eye and squeeezed.

Say what you will about .25 cal and round nose pellets, "over penetration" and all that. Mr Red got a lead lobotomy and it sounded as if I took my framing hammer to a ribeye! Mr Reds brain escaped his noggin and displayed itself all over my trailer bed and Mr Red STOPPED YELLING!!!

What's the issue, you may ask? This lowly AEA bolt action LOVES the 33.95 pellets and is sub MOA at 71 yards. I'm gonna need and intervention to keep me from punching that Buy Now button at PA!

What started out as a hopeless gun has really shown it's worth today and I could not be happier!

Dead Red.jpg

Same hole on both sides.

Dead Red Hole.jpg

Three sections of grey matter

Dead Red Brain.jpg

Pre sight-in, set for JSB 25.5gr Kings, 50 yards, the bottom 2 dents are 6 pellets, look closely and you can see the ring of each one, 0.040" center to center. The top splash is a 25.5 from yesterday.

Pellets Group.jpg

@Firewalker Nice write-up and great shot! Those heavy .25 pellets do not play. What’s SWMBO mean? It looks like photos of the left side of the squirrel twice. Got a pic of the gun? Thanks for sharing.

She Whom Must Be Obeyed

Yes, a close up and a full frame pic. Didn't take a pic of the other side.

AEA Varmint.jpg

Great story, I usually just name the critters I shoot as, "dead", or "crap, I missed"!

Yeah, I haven't written many stories either yet.

➔ However, in my shooting notes I usually elaborate on some of the details. E.g.:

● "dead" gets marked as:
—DRT = dead right there
—DCB = dead close by (within 15y)
—DFA = dead far away (beyond 15y, when they fly off and crash in the next field)

● "missed" gets marked with as many excuses why I missed as I can come up with:
— ranging error
— dialing error
— holdoff error
— power error (the gun was off the reg.)
— wire strike
— quarry moved at the last split second
— I didn't have my coffee
— I had too much coffee

🤣 Matthias

Thanks all! I don't consider myself either a good shot or story teller but I sure had a great time writing that up and taking that shot.

BTW- I think that the AEA Varmint has a lot of potential and comes in at a decent price. What I didn't understand yesterday was how quiet the gun is with those 33.95gr pellets.

My security system records movement and sound, every time I shoot or run a motor, I get a recording. I was suprised that I didn't get a notification after shooting that Red so I ran the loop back for that camera and though I heard the shot clearly in my ear as I took the shot, it was just gobbled up in the background noise of the wind in the trees and I could not hear any of the 2 magazines I shot.

Color me impressed!