• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I think I've found a new favorite rifle and it is not a PCP

I've bought a new HW30 a month or so back. I didn't spend a lot of time with it as I have about 20 air guns that get
short bits of my time. But the last couple weeks it seems this one has been getting a bit more attention it was usually
my Regal Xl and Marauder .25. But I must have finally got all the excess factory grease shot out of it because it is
shooting incredible. 

I think the main reason I like it so is it requires no prepping, no refilling, it is super easy to load and cheap to to shoot.
It is also the perfect power for shooting silhouettes out to 30 yards. I was shooting them today up here in Michigan on
a fairly windy day and the gun could just not miss. I decided to shoot some field targets out at my maximum range from
the deck of 35yards held it one mill dot over to make up for a brisk north west wind and hit 5 1.5" kill shots in a row,

I then decided I had to stop before I ended a perfect day. It almost makes me want to get a bigger HW but I have a feeling
something more powerful would require more repetition and practice.

I can see why so many folks out there love their HW30s and would never sell them. I know I will never sell mine.

The HW 30/ R7 is a great little gun, that's for sure! Good little hunter in the right environment.
I've read about folks trying to make the little gun more powerful, in fact I've got caught up in the "magnumiest fever" only to be disappointed in the out come. My suggestion is to shoot the HW30/R7 at factory levels. Much more enjoyable.

Completely agree-- I have an HW30s in .177 that's a real keeper as well. Mine gets used mostly for 30 yard casual target and plinking. It's easy to cock and very accurate. Definitely a favorite that gets a lot use. I shot it until the original spring broke, had it tuned by Rob Hawkins with JM spring. I'd estimate it has somewhere in the 12 to 13 thousand round range through it.

I really enjoy aperture sights particularly on this rifle. 25 to 30 yards seems just right for a peep sight to me. At present the HW30s is wearing a Gehmann Compact sight with Gehmann adjustable iris, but my favorite aperture set up is the Airforce Universal sight with a Merit Master Target Iris (which is on my HW35 right now).

The R7/HW30 rifle is a real classic and just a fun gun to shoot!

I recently replaced the spring and seals in my FWB124 with a JM spring, I was really impressed with it the gun cocks about the same as the HW30
but is still demands the proper hold to perform the way the HW does. The 124 shoots a lot smoother especially with a light black tar treatment on the spring.
I'll say one thing about my experience " there a lot easier to take a part than they are to put back together"

Has any one disassembled their HW30 or R7? I would not mind having one of the JM kits on hand for when the tragic day arrives for factory spring.
I seen a post somewhere where Rob posted pics of one he had finished tuning for a client. I looks like money well spent.

"Hammarhead"The HW30 uses a screw and the trigger pins to hold the spring in. Easy to work on, just remove the two trigger retaining pins and trigger assembly. Then apply pressure to the back and remove the retaining screw.
Thank you for the info Hammarhead. I'll have to order one of JM kits and have it on hand for a rainy day. It looks kinda rainy out to day in fact.
Maybe I should order some of that plastic for inserts for the cocking linkage I suppose they must all starting grinding eventually.

If you put a spring kit in a FWB124, the 30 should be a piece of cake. When your assembling it is easier to compress the assembly and get one of the trigger retaining pins or a drift pin through to hold everything in place before installing the retainer screw. Then once tbe screw is installed and tightened, remove the pin and install the trigger assembly. I have had my HW30 apart several times and found its one of tne easier springers to work on. Never tried JM`s kit in it, but have used them in my FWB124 & R9 with success. Mine currently has the PG2 Vortek kit installed which is supposed to give a slight power increase. Very short shot cycle if nothing else. Good luck with the project, I'm sure you be happy with the results.