• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I Think I'm Ready for the Thieving Ba$tards

Damned starlings and grackles are raiding the mealworms and suet cakes in our backyard birdfeeders.

I finally got my Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR scope mounted and zeroed for pesting duty. With the regulator set at 2600psi I'm getting 1040fps with the Crosman Premier HPs and 800fps with FX Hybrid Slugs.

The distance is 19yds for the closet, 21yds for the farthest.

I'm all set up on the back porch picnic bench.

Here is 19yds with 5 of the Crosman pellets.

5 shots at 21Yds with the same pellets

Finally, 5 of the Crosman premiers and 5 of the FX Hybrid slugs, same POA. Basically the same POI for both projectiles.

Looks like a nice set up!

Not looking to start a controversy, and you can totally blow me off for making the suggestion, but unlike starlings which are truly and invasive species that does actual harm to local species, grackles are not. I realize their numbers (especially in the Texas area) and attitude means they appear to be a pest, they are in fact indigenous and aren't really competing in a harmful way with other indigenous species.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20180712/grackles-are-everywhere-so-they-must-be-invasive-right

Like I say, take it or eave it, if they are a pain, ignore me. As an avid birder, I just wasn't sure what you knew about them or not.

66BC87FC-A075-4355-941D-CED4BF9A306A.1620399347.jpeg

I'm ready too. I just sprinkled some fruit and nuts trail mix for birds along the fence line. That's to try and lure in a pair of brown thrashers that have been coming around lately. I won't be shooting those. They are useful to have around for my garden. I want them to stay.

I've been shooting an average of one hosp a day for the past week and a half. I could shoot more; but, I have been feeding a flock of 8 mourning doves and 6 white wing doves for the past couple of years. The hosps feed around the doves (unfortunately). I have no desire to scare the good birds away One hosp a day is fine.

A few starlings come around every now and then. So far I have bagged 2 of those. 

I use a Crosman 1389 w/ an LDC and/or a Winchester 1977XS w/ an LDC for quieter shooting. Either one is excellent for pest control.

I like your rig, I wish I had the wood stock avenger. You do look ready for war. The starlings have taken a beating at my place. As have the English Sparrows. I have now 4 different species of woodpecker many robins various finches and a hen turkey that enjoy my country yard. The grackles harass the other birds and local crops so are on the list for removal as well.

Jim

Are starlings really a invasive species ? i mean they did not fly in from Mexico or Canada / Russia as far as i know.

I would call them "the huge mistake of our forefathers", as i think Australians should also call a few things out there.

But yeah the suckers should be taken out, i wish,,,, well sort off, that we had pests like that over here in the old world for me to shoot instead of paper.

Not sure what the feel are for starlings over here in the old world where they are not invasive, i assume they eat just as much of other animals feed.

Only flying thing i hear complaints about is seagulls in the major towns, and then coastal fishermen have long hated the Cormorant, and then there is the horrible poisonings of the large birds of prey here, most likely by people renting out pheasant and rabbit hunting, these guys use horrible poisonous stuff ( pesticide named carbofuran ) that have been banned a long time.

Many eagles have fallen pray to this filthy people, and while not bald eagles, this outrage the Texan i have living deep down inside of me.

Personally i would shoot any official pest, otherwise i would not shoot something i am not going to eat, so far only a few rats have died at my hand.

Looks like a nice set up!

Not looking to start a controversy, and you can totally blow me off for making the suggestion, but unlike starlings which are truly and invasive species that does actual harm to local species, grackles are not. I realize their numbers (especially in the Texas area) and attitude means they appear to be a pest, they are in fact indigenous and aren't really competing in a harmful way with other indigenous species.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20180712/grackles-are-everywhere-so-they-must-be-invasive-right

Like I say, take it or eave it, if they are a pain, ignore me. As an avid birder, I just wasn't sure what you knew about them or not.

I like your rig, I wish I had the wood stock avenger. You do look ready for war. The starlings have taken a beating at my place. As have the English Sparrows. I have now 4 different species of woodpecker many robins various finches and a hen turkey that enjoy my country yard. The grackles harass the other birds and local crops so are on the list for removal as well.

Jim

Only thing I am waiting on are the 2 CARM magazine that are enroute from Croatia.

As is so far;

1. Wood stocked Air Venturi Avenger
  2. Leupold 3-9x33 EFR scope with standard fine duplex. (I like things simple)
  3. Burris Rimfire/air rifle tactical signature rings.
  4. Burris Posi-align ring inserts (+.020" rear, - .020" front 36 MOA offset)
  5. Tourbon adjustable comb riser with slip-on neoprene cover, 1/2" riser block insert
  6. TKO .22 Stage V 1" moderator
  7. Browning "Barbed Wire" sling on quick detach sling swivels.
    [/LIST=1]

Support accessories;
    1. Yong Heng 4500psi compressor
    2. 60 min SCBA tank
    3.  Air Venturi Air Tank Carrier With Tank Stand & Protective Netting
    4. 8mm dual male foster coupling
    5.  Fafeims CGA347 Paintball Fill Station PCP SCBA Charging Connector Adapter
      [/LIST=1]

All told, I blew at least $1400 but the rifle likes the readily available Crosman Premiere HP so I can shoot all day with little cash outlay.

I will probably remove the front Picatinny mount bas I do not foresee mounting a bipod. That will require making the fore-end into a semi Schnabel like an O/U shotgun. Also do an adjustable comb to eliminate the foam cheek riser. That, of course, will require a complete refinish of the wood stock. Time to make the blonde look more like an auburn redhead.

Only thing I am waiting on are the 2 CARM magazine that are enroute from Croatia.

As is so far;

1. Wood stocked Air Venturi Avenger
  2. Leupold 3-9x33 EFR scope with standard fine duplex. (I like things simple)
  3. Burris Rimfire/air rifle tactical signature rings.
  4. Burris Posi-align ring inserts (+.020" rear, - .020" front 36 MOA offset)
  5. Tourbon adjustable comb riser with slip-on neoprene cover, 1/2" riser block insert
  6. TKO .22 Stage V 1" moderator
  7. Browning "Barbed Wire" sling on quick detach sling swivels.
    [/LIST=1]

Support accessories;
    1. Yong Heng 4500psi compressor
    2. 60 min SCBA tank
    3.  Air Venturi Air Tank Carrier With Tank Stand & Protective Netting
    4. 8mm dual male foster coupling
    5.  Fafeims CGA347 Paintball Fill Station PCP SCBA Charging Connector Adapter
      [/LIST=1]

All told, I blew at least $1400 but the rifle likes the readily available Crosman Premiere HP so I can shoot all day little cash outlay.

I will probably remove the front Picatinny mount bas I do not foresee mounting a bipod. That will require making the fore-end into a semi Schnabel like an O/U shotgun. Also do an adjustable comb to eliminate the foam cheek riser. That, of course, will require a complete refinish of the wood stock. Time to make the blonde look more like an auburn redhead.

1. I do prefer a nice piece of wood furniture over black plastic and anodized aluminum any day of the week. She's a beaut.

.DadsKrag

..unlike starlings which are truly and invasive species that does actual harm to local species, grackles are not. I realize their numbers (especially in the Texas area) and attitude means they appear to be a pest, they are in fact indigenous and aren't really competing in a harmful way with other indigenous species.

Audobon disagree's w/ the opinion of ... (ahem) .... 'University of Texas biology professor and longtime birder Peter English'.

What Goes On In The Minds Of An Invasive Species

https://www.audubon.org/news/what-goes-mind-invasive-species

So does The New York Times (of all people).

Quote:

The great-tailed grackle is one of the most invasive species in the United States. A new experiment tests whether it develops new behaviors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/science/the-grackles-secret-to-success.html#:~:text=The%20great-tailed%20grackle%20is%20one%20of%20the%20most,new%20experiment%20tests%20whether%20it%20develops%20new%20behaviors.

.DadsKrag

..unlike starlings which are truly and invasive species that does actual harm to local species, grackles are not. I realize their numbers (especially in the Texas area) and attitude means they appear to be a pest, they are in fact indigenous and aren't really competing in a harmful way with other indigenous species.

Audobon disagree's w/ the opinion of ... (ahem) .... 'University of Texas biology professor and longtime birder Peter English'.

What Goes On In The Minds Of An Invasive Species

https://www.audubon.org/news/what-goes-mind-invasive-species

So does The New York Times (of all people).

Quote:

The great-tailed grackle is one of the most invasive species in the United States. A new experiment tests whether it develops new behaviors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/science/the-grackles-secret-to-success.html#:~:text=The%20great-tailed%20grackle%20is%20one%20of%20the%20most,new%20experiment%20tests%20whether%20it%20develops%20new%20behaviors.

Thanks Longfellow, looks like I have some more reading on my hands. And sorry for taking this thread o.t.

Thanks Longfellow, looks like I have some more reading on my hands. And sorry for taking this thread o.t.

You're welcome. It's all moot. Myself, I've been feeding 2 separate flocks of mourning doves ( 8 ) and whitewing doves (6) for the past couple of years. Many AGN members would shoot those in season if given the opportunity.

Everyone dislikes tree rats: (so do I). Yet many of my neighbors feed the local squirrels and consider them as pets. Who am I to kill one of their 'pets' and make them feel bad when their favorite little fur buddy is no longer around to cheer them up?

I keep a garden. Hosp's eat many insects that would otherwise eat /damage / or kill my plants. Pity they do it at the expense of other insect eaters such as purple martins, bluebirds, titmice, cardinals, wrens, chickadee's, tangers, and finches ... all of which patronize my bird feeders. 

That makes them expendable. Point is, we all have our separate lines we prefer not to cross.