I think I want to go with bulk nitrogen

I used to think I wanted a compressor. I want to be able to fill a small to medium tank to take with me so I don't have to hand pump away from home.

I think what I really want right now is a 6000 psi bulk nitrogen setup.

I can rent the biggest (300) cylinder for $130 per, a reg should be able to be found for around $350 (Nuvair shows $360), and a 18 cubic foot 4500 psi omega with valve is around $375.

With this setup I can refill plenty of times with the small tank and never have to worry about maintaining the compressor. I can't seem to rebuild a hand pump successfully so I don't have much hope for something even more expensive and complex.

Anyone done something similar? Am I missing something from my foggy figuring? I would LOVE to make a system like this work.

sounds pretty expensive over the long haul. get a oil/waterless pump off amazon with a 4 year extended warrenty. pay with a nice creditcard that doubles your manufactor warrenty, and u will have 2 years + 4 years. thats 6 years for $420, and you can take these with you too because they run off of DC

The cost of the bulk tank rental is almost inconsequential. The bulk reg should be a one time expense which costs less than and should last MUCH longer than one of the cheap Chinese compressors like yong heng.

When I think about replacements, or parts sourcing frustration, or shipping for service, I think I'd be WAY ahead only purchasing a regulator for a rental tank.

I have that Omega tank. It is wonderfully portable. But since it costs the same -- at least with air -- to fill any size tank, you might want to ask yourself how many trips to get your tank filled you want to take. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a bigger tank.

I think over time I would add a larger tank.

HOWEVER since getting the small tank filled would only involve a trip to the garage or basement (wherever the bulk tank gets stored) I'm not worried. I make multiple trips to those places every day already.

I have that Omega tank. It is wonderfully portable. But since it costs the same -- at least with air -- to fill any size tank, you might want to ask yourself how many trips to get your tank filled you want to take. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a bigger tank.

portability is nice though. I thought you were talking the 6000psi tank

I AM talking about a 6000 psi tank.

I'll use the big bulk tank to fill a smaller tank to take with me when I go afield.

Once you get the regulators ,Rent the tank, buy a small Omega tank, Then the cost would be just for rent and nitrogen..

I tried to do the same thing, But the cost of renting the tank and the nitrogen was crazy money here in west Texas,,And they had to do a tank exchange (FILL) once a month whether I needed it or not.

Read the fine print..

Mike

sounds pretty expensive over the long haul. get a oil/waterless pump off amazon with a 4 year extended warrenty. pay with a nice creditcard that doubles your manufactor warrenty, and u will have 2 years + 4 years. thats 6 years for $420, and you can take these with you too because they run off of DC

The cost of the bulk tank rental is almost inconsequential. The bulk reg should be a one time expense which costs less than and should last MUCH longer than one of the cheap Chinese compressors like yong heng.

When I think about replacements, or parts sourcing frustration, or shipping for service, I think I'd be WAY ahead only purchasing a regulator for a rental tank.

$100 a year to rent and $150 to refill is inconsequential? thats a new avenger rifle a year! guess it depends how much money you have to burn but if money doesn't matter just buy a real compressor

Once you get the regulators ,Rent the tank, buy a small Omega tank, Then the cost would be just for rent and nitrogen..

I tried to do the same thing, But the cost of renting the tank and the nitrogen was crazy money here in west Texas,,And they had to do a tank exchange (FILL) once a month whether I needed it or not.

Read the fine print..

Mike

Good to know.

I live in the Denver metro area and Airgas shows rental for their biggest tank as $127 for my zip code but I'll definitely check out the fine print.

I have no idea how long a tank like that will last until I have to get it swapped but it should be a good long time.

Thanks!

portability is nice though. I thought you were talking the 6000psi tank

It wasn't me. He said he wanted 6k but then mentioned buying my same 4500 PSI tank.

We use 2 big 6000psi nitro tanks in my shop. We use nitro for leak checks,purging and holding charges. I also fill my pcp tanks from it.

When big nitro tank gets low I have a manifold/regulator set up for my youg heng that connects the big nitro tank to YH inlet at very low pressure. This hybrid cascade system pumps up to 4500psi in my portable tank or gun when big nitro tank psi is anywhere between 4400-20psi... That way I get to use the full 6000psi bulk nitro tank till its completely empty (less than 20psi) and get my monies worth....

IMO Dry Nitrogen is the best for our guns, tanks, regulators, orings, valves, everything. It is superior for our purposes to any HPA. Its larger molecule is less prone to leaks and its dry as dry can be, clean, consistent, and being an inert gas does not change pressure with temperature for all practical purposes like an organic gas compressed air does.....

jmo

Not the first time this has been discussed and it seems to vary GREATLY by location. I bet nitrogen is great. As long as one can get it. Things can change, even if you've made absolutely certain you can get the tank delivered and filled right now. I would guess that zip code alone might not get it done-seems in many places the supplier will only service a business address. Lots of research might save one a big headache.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to check with the suppliers (I guess I'm lucky enough to have multiple places to check) to see if there's any hidden tank deposit or rental fees. If anything, I'm expecting it to be like buying a keg of beer. Buy the beer, pay a deposit on the barrel and get it back when you bring it back.

We'll see. There may be a few wrinkles to work out but this is looking like a much less stressful option for me to fill a small tank.

Keep in mind that a 6000psi nitro tank is heavy and can a beast to maneuver into location. If you are small framed or physically diminished from your glory days, it can be difficult and even dangerous.

How heavy are they? And are they all the same size? I remember moving full scuba tanks when I was a kid and they seemed to weigh a thousand pounds -- but then again I was a kid and 25 pounds was dang heavy, and I'm thinking the tanks were steel.