I think I made a mistake

First post but long time reader of the community. Happy to finally post!

Simple question, I think. I recently dove into PCPs and bought what I thought would be among the quietest airguns for suburban backyard pesting: a .22 Marauder semi-automatic at 900fps. It was louder than I had expected from online videos. I did not notice any difference in the noise level with a DonnyFL Sumo. Turns out, the semi-automatic mechanism dooms it to be louder than the bolt action Marauder.

I'm thinking of taking a step up from the more entry level Marauder line to a Daystate Huntsman. Question is, will a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL be noticeably quieter than my tuned SAW? Or would a DRXL+Airstream or DRXL+Sumo?

Thank you, in advance.

edit: Put another way, are there any other options out there (with or without a moderator) that get much quieter than a 22 bolt action mrod?

taipan is what I use in my yard.. 177 and 22. backyard friendly. They are my go too airguns for backyard plinking and pesting. You can also add a tanto to the front if its not quiet enough.. but.. my 22 is shooting around 850 - and I don't need anything on the front. The factory setup works amazingly. 

I used to own a 22 maurader and the 25.. the 22 is comparable to the above airguns. The 25 needed a moderator to make it more backyard friendly. 

Looks like I need to have a look at the taipan vets. Dumb question, but what are the pros and cons of short, standard, and long variants?

To @skydivingmiami, if quiet and accuracy for posting are my key objectives, how do the mrod 22 and taipan veteran stack up? What does the premium pricing of the vet get me in those two aspects? Why did you end up with a vet and not the mrod?

Thank you, guys!

First post but long time reader of the community. Happy to finally post!

Simple question, I think. I recently dove into PCPs and bought what I thought would be among the quietest airguns for suburban backyard pesting: a .22 Marauder semi-automatic at 900fps. It was louder than I had expected from online videos. I did not notice any difference in the noise level with a DonnyFL Sumo. Turns out, the semi-automatic mechanism dooms it to be louder than the bolt action Marauder.

I'm thinking of taking a step up from the more entry level Marauder line to a Daystate Huntsman. Question is, will a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL be noticeably quieter than my tuned SAW? Or would a DRXL+Airstream or DRXL+Sumo?

Thank you, in advance.

Was this a new Marauder or second hand?

no doubt you could drop a wad and buy a highend quieter gun .. what i grab when i need a quiet shot when the neighbors are out is the prod with a sumo on it ..

Well, this hits at the crux of my question: does a higher end quieter gun get me that much more quiet? or is that money primarily buying me other aspects (e.g. fit and finish, materials, tune-ability, etc.).

I guess what I am hoping to collect in this thread are suggestions for what forum members have found, in their experience, to be the most accurate, quietest, lightest, shortest airgun that can get me say 25+ fpe. It might be that a bolt action mrod gets me 80% of the way there but I sacrifice weight and length of the gun because the next real step closer to my ideal airgun would cost $4000. Or maybe this taipan vet short gets me 98% of the way there and I would need a custom airgun to squeeze a little more quiet or weight off.

I really wish I had joined and asked this question prior to buying...been encountering situations where confidence has translated to hubris lately...hope 2022 is better.

...the most accurate, quietest, lightest, shortest airgun that can get me say 25+ FPE...

Alan,

I'm sorry that this PCP thing hasn't worked out for you so far.

In my own airgunning journey I found that some purchases are "educational expenses" so to speak — paid to the School of Personal Experience.

For example, when I bought my first "real" airgun scope, armed with only two(!!) criteria (price and magnification) — that kind of ignorance wasn't bliss — it was expensive — but I learned from it what criteria were important to me and my type of shooting. 

🔷 You're hunting for the "quietest, shortest, 25+FPE PCP" — and those criteria are similar to what I look for in a PCP.

However, all three — quietness, compactness, and power — cannot be achieved at the same time, as they work against each other.

🔷 The infographic below illustrates this.

And gives you some remedies of what you can do to have your cake of all three characteristics — and eat it, too!

Matthias

GUN Performance Triangle PCPs  to Balance Power  Quietness  Compactness. 2.2MB.1640704480.jpg

Reactions: shausen