• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I think I made a mistake

Looks like I need to have a look at the taipan vets. Dumb question, but what are the pros and cons of short, standard, and long variants?

To @skydivingmiami, if quiet and accuracy for posting are my key objectives, how do the mrod 22 and taipan veteran stack up? What does the premium pricing of the vet get me in those two aspects? Why did you end up with a vet and not the mrod?

Thank you, guys!

So both guns are in different categories. I had the .22 and .25 mrod- they both are great Starter airguns. for the price its a fantastic value, its accurate with the right pellets, they work as they should, and area easy to pump with a hand pump. The internal baffles work perfectly on the 22, the 25 was a little too loud for my yard, but you can slow the pellet down and it will help reduce the noise. I ended up selling both mine, just because I wanted a regulated airgun and wanted something that was smaller. To add a regulator to the mrod is extra money that I didn't feel like investing.

Now theTaipan is just on a different level, price point/accuracy/quietness. Is it worth the price?.... 100% yes

Heres my finding on the taipan, "I wouldn't trade my taipans for anything" yeah I have other airguns in my stable, but the taipans are my go to airguns. A lot of members on here feel the same.. 

the LW and CZ barrels that these airguns come with are just too darn good to sell. The design is simple and works as it should. They don't leak like other brands, easy to work on(Mrod is also). Do you like the Bullpup style vs rifle?

Is the Taipan quieter than a 22 M-rod if heard from 10-20yds away?

no doubt you could drop a wad and buy a highend quieter gun .. what i grab when i need a quiet shot when the neighbors are out is the prod with a sumo on it ..

100% agree. Limited to 45 yrds or so for accurate pest control.
20201025_114432.1640715156.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

what stock do you have on this? are there aftermarket barrels for the p-rod?

Looks like I need to have a look at the taipan vets. Dumb question, but what are the pros and cons of short, standard, and long variants?

To @skydivingmiami, if quiet and accuracy for posting are my key objectives, how do the mrod 22 and taipan veteran stack up? What does the premium pricing of the vet get me in those two aspects? Why did you end up with a vet and not the mrod?

Thank you, guys!

So both guns are in different categories. I had the .22 and .25 mrod- they both are great Starter airguns. for the price its a fantastic value, its accurate with the right pellets, they work as they should, and area easy to pump with a hand pump. The internal baffles work perfectly on the 22, the 25 was a little too loud for my yard, but you can slow the pellet down and it will help reduce the noise. I ended up selling both mine, just because I wanted a regulated airgun and wanted something that was smaller. To add a regulator to the mrod is extra money that I didn't feel like investing.

Now theTaipan is just on a different level, price point/accuracy/quietness. Is it worth the price?.... 100% yes

Heres my finding on the taipan, "I wouldn't trade my taipans for anything" yeah I have other airguns in my stable, but the taipans are my go to airguns. A lot of members on here feel the same.. 

the LW and CZ barrels that these airguns come with are just too darn good to sell. The design is simple and works as it should. They don't leak like other brands, easy to work on(Mrod is also). Do you like the Bullpup style vs rifle?

Is the Taipan quieter than a 22 M-rod if heard from 10-20yds away?

I have no idea as I've always been the one shooting the guns, they are similar on my end. I don't own the 22 mrod anymore otherwise I'd compare them both.

But.. I can say this. The pellet hitting the target makes more noise than the airgun. So if I'm shooting metal, it will be loud. If I'm shooting a box of cardboard.. it's super quiet.

Thank you. I think I have selected those parameters throughout the thread, though I can gather it all in one place below:

Caliber: 22 cal is adequate for my needs.

Platform: I do not care whether bullpup or rifle because I am not concerned with what I hear; I am concerned about what someone 10-20yds away hears. I have read that bullpup mechanisms are more complicated and thus carry greater risk of failure. Is this true?

Power: Just want to reliably drop up to a raccoon at 50yds.

Accuracy: Sure, 5 shot group <0.5" at 50yds in good weather is very acceptable

Length: I can deal with anything that has an overall length of up to a 22 m-rod (43"; 20" barrel) but not a 22 m-rod+sumo (49.25"); a taipan vet long + sumo is fine (31.5"+6.25"; 21.6" barrel), as is a DRXL (36.5"; 17" barrel). I guess a long barrel bullpup would be the way to go.

With the exception of the Pulsar, bullpups do have more moving parts such as a longer trigger linkage. If it's a mid-cocking lever, it's a longer linkage as well. I don't see them so much as a problem though.

In regards to power, you say you want to reliably take down a coon at 50 yards. I've never shot at one and don't have them in my neck of the woods. Just from reading so many of the threads on recommending an airgun for raccoons, most say to move up to a .25cal. That's another dilemma in choosing a quiet gun. Decide on which one is more of a priority for you.

Some say they have no problems taking coons at that distance with a .22 but shot placement being the key and using a heavier pellet or slug with a gun that has the speed to push them. The Veteran Long in .22 should be able to this with 25.39gr JSB Monster Redesigns. My EDgun R5M Matador Standard in .25cal is pretty quiet for a 25cal. Quieter than my Regal XL. The hammer slap by your ear is what is heard more by the shooter.

Raccoons, you say? I happen to despise these critters and have removed a few dozen from the face of the earth. 

20211002_135837.1640791216.jpg

Minimum .25 cal at ~50 fpe is where you want to be. You are limited to headshots only between the eye and the ear, and you need to use either slugs or JSB Exact pellets, as the lead alloy used is hard enough to get the job done. Of course you can also use H&N Hornets if the gun shoots them well, and this will open up headshots from any angle, as the sharp metal tip is seriously no joke. I've shot thousands of the Hornets and have yet to have one metal tip fall off!

You will need a Bullpup configuration because you are gonna need a DonnyFL Ronin suppressor for the level of quiet and length you desire.

The absolute perfect gun for you is the Air Venturi Avenger Bullpup in .25 cal for the unbelievably low price of $399. This price is unheard of for a regulated airgun! You could sell your Maradeur in the forum today for that price and just need to fork over for the suppressor.

The majority of my raccoon kills have been with a .25 cal Hatsan Bullboss at 30 yards, but it's difficult to get a headshot on those guys even when they are over bait. I sold my Bullboss and bought the AEA HPBP semi-auto in .25 cal. I dumped 10 slugs into the body of a raccoon and the bastard just ran up a tree!

This is why I currently use a Benjamin Bulldog .357, which makes the holes that you saw in the picture above. This gun is firearm loud without the DonnyFL Emperor long suppressor but it has opened up 100 yard bodyshots on predators, so I deal with it being overkill 90% of the time, because it just drops them.

https://youtu.be/QxqnSF0WzbA

Ed,

your reports about the ridiculous toughness of the bandits is very informative! 👍🏼 Thanks!

🔹 Would you confirm how the coon died in the video you linked above?

I find it ridiculous how much dancing goes on even after clinical death! Your comments help me put into perspective some of the stuff I have observed in my own critter shots.

Matthias

Raccoons, you say? I happen to despise these critters and have removed a few dozen from the face of the earth. 

20211002_135837.1640791216.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Minimum .25 cal at ~50 fpe is where you want to be. You are limited to headshots only between the eye and the ear, and you need to use either slugs or JSB Exact pellets, as the lead alloy used is hard enough to get the job done. Of course you can also use H&N Hornets if the gun shoots them well, and this will open up headshots from any angle, as the sharp metal tip is seriously no joke. I've shot thousands of the Hornets and have yet to have one metal tip fall off!

You will need a Bullpup configuration because you are gonna need a DonnyFL Ronin suppressor for the level of quiet and length you desire.

The absolute perfect gun for you is the Air Venturi Avenger Bullpup in .25 cal for the unbelievably low price of $399. This price is unheard of for a regulated airgun! You could sell your Maradeur in the forum today for that price and just need to fork over for the suppressor.

The majority of my raccoon kills have been with a .25 cal Hatsan Bullboss at 30 yards, but it's difficult to get a headshot on those guys even when they are over bait. I sold my Bullboss and bought the AEA HPBP semi-auto in .25 cal. I dumped 10 slugs into the body of a raccoon and the bastard just ran up a tree!

This is why I currently use a Benjamin Bulldog .357, which makes the holes that you saw in the picture above. This gun is firearm loud without the DonnyFL Emperor long suppressor but it has opened up 100 yard bodyshots on predators, so I deal with it being overkill 90% of the time, because it just drops them.

https://youtu.be/QxqnSF0WzbA

I limit my shots to 10 yards but even 14fpe properly to the skull drops them no problem. I've killed dozens with 177 to the skull without losing a single one. Key is close range and only a clear shot. Wouldn't attempt a body shot under 50fpe and only with a hollowpoint slug. 
Screenshot_20210911-202826_Gallery.1640822733.jpg
Screenshot_20210911-202916_Gallery.1640822733.jpg

thammer

I limit my shots to 10 yards but even 14fpe properly to the skull drops them no problem. I've killed dozens with 177 to the skull without losing a single one. Key is close range and only a clear shot. Wouldn't attempt a body shot under 50fpe and only with a hollowpoint slugs//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

At 10 yards, that may be the case. The OP wants 50 yards, so that changes things substantially.

First post but long time reader of the community. Happy to finally post!

Simple question, I think. I recently dove into PCPs and bought what I thought would be among the quietest airguns for suburban backyard pesting: a .22 Marauder semi-automatic at 900fps. It was louder than I had expected from online videos. I did not notice any difference in the noise level with a DonnyFL Sumo. Turns out, the semi-automatic mechanism dooms it to be louder than the bolt action Marauder.

I'm thinking of taking a step up from the more entry level Marauder line to a Daystate Huntsman. Question is, will a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL be noticeably quieter than my tuned SAW? Or would a DRXL+Airstream or DRXL+Sumo?

Thank you, in advance.

edit: Put another way, are there any other options out there (with or without a moderator) that get much quieter than a 22 bolt action mrod?

All the options here are good, but out of all the AG'S I use, Taipan, Kral, Mrod, to name a few, the absolute quietest is Airforce TalonP with DonnyFL. This compact carbine set up at 60 fpe with OAL 39" it's absolutely silent until impact of pellet strike.

For clandestine urban pesting easy to dial back the power to reduce the sound of pellet strike. 

Really like the fact that I can break it down and pack into backpack, especially when having to travel through areas where treehugger non hunting types are hiking or fishing in are around, but can easily be deployed for targets of opportunity.

20200731_145957.1640886059.jpg