• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
Anyone (everyone, actually) who has ever shot with me knows I suck at targets outside of 35 yards.

I don’t have the range or the time to practice at that distance.

Last Sunday at Diablo bore that out.

So, tomorrow we are shooting at Ione (Sacramento area) where winds are always a challenge.

I went to the Yolo (Davis) range today for some practice at 50 yards. I checked the wind information on the airport (Yolo County Airport) automated weather observation system and learned the winds were from the north at 15 gusting to 20 mph.

At 50 yards off of the sticks I hold 1.5 mil-dots up with the Marauder shooting 10.34s at 885fps and with the wind today I was holding 2 mil-dots left. I shot 60 shots, 10 at each target. Then to the pistol range to burn off 100 9mm parebellums.

Here are 10 at 50y and you can see the gusts, huh?

AD2896F5-1BA1-41B7-95A7-CF0B9F0842BF.1616790221.jpeg

Maybe try using a better scope?

Once I replaced my Hawke with a SFP Barra Hero FT I thought the H50s were the same IDK but anyhow the gun suddenly became a lot more accurate.

I then bought a FFP version of it but it does not focus closer than 40 yards.

If shooting in windy conditions then scope wouldn't help unless it's defective probably like your HAWKE for example. No surprises there.

The FFP Barras don't focus as close as the SFP models FYI. You can adjust the front bell to bring it closer FOCUS but likely lose infinity.

That's why 25 and 50 and 70 yard scopes are nicer than 10 yard scopes unless you buy a NIGHTFORCE or March or Kahles or IOR Valdada close focus to infinity ask me how I know.

At least a Sightron SIII (13 yard focus version not the 40 yard long range version) or clearance Crimson Trace 3 or 5 both with 10 yard focus if you want something comparable to the Barra HERO FT SFP that have close focus.

I either have them or had them and noticed the farther minimum focus scopes seem nicer to look through for example the 40 yard focus Sightron SIII looks clearer than the 13 yard version and Burris Signature 50 yard scope clearer than the 10 yard focus counterpart and long range 40 yard Leupolds clearer than EFRs and Barra 40 yard focus clearer than 10 yard version and Bushnell 25 yard version clearer than 10 yard version and 25 yard Bushnell Forge clearer than the 10 yard Athlon Midas TAC and 70 yard Bushnell long range clearer than 25 yard version and 50 yard clearer than 25 yard one and so on you have to pay big bucks for tier1 scopes to be perfect 10 yards to infinity. There are a few exceptions that I have personally noticed.

It's actually not in the cheaper sub $1500 scope company's best interest to make them 10 yard focus where the 10 yarder ain't as clear as the long distance version.

Biggest difference night and day was the Burris. Then Leupold.

The Athlon Cronus wouldn't be as nice as nice realistically if it were 10 yard focus.

A lot of 10 yard scopes can't truly see infinity where it ends at 300-500-800 yards.

7-9”? 2 mils at 50y only is a bit over 3”. Timing was good in those gusts. I’d say.

Duh. Ok. Probably wasn’t a crosswind. Cause 15 mph is about 7 inches in a crosswind. And the gusts to 20 would move it over 9 inches. Glad I had you to correct me. Thanks.

Not many shooter wait to shoot in the strongest winds. I guess you didnt get the “drift” about timing.

I'm just getting into FT after many years of competing in archery. My first shoot at OKC gun club I came in dead last. Worked on some better sight settings and won the next month. There is hope. I've been shooting an HW97 springer and have bought a Marauder PCP. If I can convince myself I can shoot it better than the springer I may try it next time out. I wish there were more shoots available around here. It seems everyone picked the third Saturday of each month to schedule their shoots.