I started something new...

To Greenarrow,

Outstanding surgical precision cut! I’m deeply humbled. Jig? Excellent bar None! Well done Sir! Confident, brave & most impressive.

Radio
Thank you!

Yes, I made a simple 90 degree jig to support the stock while freehand cutting on the bandsaw. I'll post a picture of it later. It's simple scrap wood screwed together squarely. You may be able to discern it in the first photo above.

Project COMPLETE!

This was waaaay easier than I anticipated. Should have done it long ago but here we are. Looking forward to getting the new shorter barrel back and getting this thing together and possibly with a new tune.

Very satisfying project so far...
FE0702B2-41E7-455F-9F46-5A0C6C488F8D.jpeg
2194AA66-F1F9-4AC1-8923-27532281014B.jpeg
ADE614E9-8FBF-4FCA-ABCD-934C89B2D51D.jpeg
EE2A1C34-5871-4911-AF26-5B19254305E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Balls of solid rock to attempt that. I'm curious how you maintained a straight cut with the band saw given you couldnt lay a flat reference point on the table. Assume you fabricated some sort of a jig to hold it. If you freehanded that with no jig, we need to stop telling Chuck Norris Jokes and start telling GreenArrow jokes.
edit... should have read the entire thread where you described it. Will look forward to seeing pics of what you used. Nice job.

Reactions: Greenarrow
For those curious about how I made a square cut with the bandsaw, here you go.

I made a simple jig with scrap wood screwed together making sure that it was 90 degrees square.

I was able to use the top of the stock as the reference, since it was flat, to clamp to the jig.

The width of the fore end and the widest part of the raised cheek were the same so all I had to do was lay it (stock) on it's side so it was perpendicular to my bandsaw blade.

I used one C clamp with a small thin scrap as a caul to secure the stock the the jig.

Next step was to saw my line that I had drawn out on blue painters tape and was stuck to the stock.

You can see how basic it is in the images. The main thing was having a good blade, properly set up bandsaw and taking my time. This took me a couple hours for three evenings to complete this with about 4 hours on that last day to get all the finer fit details completed. I'm guessing about 8 hours total time start to finish.

Thank you to everyone for all of the positive words and compliments. This is great hobby for me and I like working wood too! 🙏🏼👊🏼😎🤠
199EFA86-AF6C-40C6-A68C-31DE7A435314.jpeg
3E85D1E4-87A2-4468-8E1A-B65050D44617.jpeg
CB80C0D5-7AAF-48F7-9C43-E901EC80CFE5.jpeg
3DC9E496-B406-4D13-BE3B-244BB29FA245.jpeg

Great work.
Sorry if I missed it, but what barrels are those and what are the goals?
The long barrel is the Original ST barrel that came with the gun.
The middle barrel is a ST barrel blank that I had machined to fit the Royale.
The shorty is the cutoff piece from the blank that was also the test piece cut before the piece with the muzzle was cut. The shorty is all smooth bore. Probably not much use to me but cool to have just in case.

The purpose is to make a shorter OAL gun, something more personal and possibly more user friendly/enjoyable to operate.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_