I set my AirRifle on Fire

JoeWayneRhea

Apr 5, 2015
So I bore easily , and here last few months I've been wanting to try a finishing technique on a gunstock that is semi-popular in guitars .
Its where you cover the wood in lighter fluid and LITERALLY Burn off the finish in places . Your not trying to make charcoal just give the wood a unique appearance. Well I knew nobody was gonna let me set their FWB stock on fire so I did my own . Yep set her down on an old log , dowsed her down with lighter fluid an then FLAME ON !!! You constantly keep squirting charcoal lighter fluid until you get a good char . Anyway after many 30 seconds ( felt like a half hour) I hose her down with a water hose and brushed off the char an then sprayed the whole thing down with Truoil spray . Here Is the result

Hope you guys like it ...I should have taken a pic as it burned but was watching to make sure I didn't get outta hand first ...But it looked a Lot like top pic :)
Leave me you opinion . Be honest , I can take it !

blu-ray_criterion_complete_monterey.jpg

I believe that is called a "Hendrix" finish.

Reactions: fredfable
You bring your A game to this site Joe...Never fail to bring out the best. The rifle looks darn good after you torched it.
I have an original cap and ball Hawkens hanging on the wall left over from my Grandfathers collection of guns. It has what was termed a Tiger Stripe finish. They would wrap a thin rope soaked in kerosene around the stock with the action and barrel removed or prior to final assembly and light it up. Finish sanding the stock and applying all the silver work such as diamond shapes into cutouts in the wood. Then a finish of oil rubbed into the wood. The result is pure beauty.