• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I see a lot of FX Maverick's for sale

There are a lot of folks who buy the latest and greatest make and model out, of which the Maverick is, and then test, tune, shoot, or just safe queen them. Then, when the next latest and greatest comes out, they sell a previous purchase to help fund their next model. Doing this they only "loose" a small percentage of the value and can shoot multiple new offerings every year or two.

Nothing wrong with your gun. I have 2 Mavericks and have no plans on selling either one. This is how airgunning work. I have bought and sold many. Never once sold a gun that something was wrong with it. I only saw 3 or 4. One of which is so sky high priced, I really don't thing he wants to sell. Maybe his wife told him to put it up for sale and this is how he gets to keep it. I mean that's what I would do. lol

...I have 2 Mavericks and have no plans on selling either one. This is how airgunning work. I have bought and sold many...

You sound like my brother from another mother!

The Mavericks are great guns - unless you happen to be sinister (left handed). Then they don't work out very well for the shooter at all.

My personal opinion is that the Mav's real claim to fame is the big plenum (moreso than the 2 regs). Nice to have the big plenum so that you can turn Reg#2 down and still get excellent power and more shots per fill (before you fall off the reg).

OTOH, I don't get when folks buy the Mavs in small calibers with short barrels. Then you don't get the biggest benefit that the gun can offer (except maybe if you shoot mostly heavy slugs, but you still don't really want the short barrel where the big plenum won't help you much).

I agree that there is plenty of 'latest and greatest' mentality in this hobby, as there is in so many other hobbies. I think that some folks may also find (especially newer shooters who may be wowed by what some YouTube shooters can do with the gun) that the bullpup format of the Mav may not deliver the accuracy to them which they saw in a video. Bullpups generally take more experience (trigger time) to shoot as well for someone as a traditionally stocked rifle will. Personally I sold several different 'pups early in my airgunning days as they were just too hard for me to shoot well. As I developed better shooting habits through shooting, shooting and more shooting, I have now come back to 'pups as they work much better for me. Perhaps this is something which other Mav sellers are also going through? Nothing at all wrong with the platform.

The Maverick is nice, I have been tempted on a few of the recent postings. Then I think that for a few hundred more I can get another Impact and dial in a 2nd caliber / tune. Also tempted by the old school Air Arms 510, Weihrauch 100 that you can just grab, fill, and shoot. Or another nice springer...or maybe a PCP pistol. Within a few minutes I've forgotten about the Maverick. If somebody lists a 25 the cycle will start again.

I took it one step further 'into the simple past' and ordered an AA S500 which Pyramyd had listed on their refurb page, during their 20% off refurbs sale. Didn't have an AA in my collection currently, and wanted to rectify that. I hope this refurb shoots well, but if not PA has easy returns.

But my current Mavs certainly aren't going anywhere. I'm not sure that they are all that easy to tune really well - especially after watching all that Steve was doing in his tuning video. But once tuned well, they can be great guns. Maybe that is the stumbling block with some owners who are selling their Mavs?

My .30 cal Sniper (which now wears an Alsafe 700cc bottle) is an incredible gun at the 100 yards I have taken it so far. I bought it from Baker as a 'demo' gun, and I think that Donnie Reed had likely played with it/tuned it. I highly respect his tuning abilities, and if he did tune this gun it really shows.

Based on my own limited experience with regulated airguns and I have never owned an FX airgun.

The idea of 2 regulators is interesting in the Maverick, however...

Regulators WILL fail. More regulators means a higher chance of failure.

This may not be the reason why you are seeing more Mavericks on the used market, but it is something to consider.

My next air rifle will NOT be regulated. I'd rather have a "sweet spot" of 10 to 30 shots that I can depend on for the life of the airgun than have to worry about the regulator failing (and it WILL) and having to tear the gun apart to fix it.

I am not a "tinkerer" when it comes to airguns. I want my airgun to be a tool that works like a hammer, first time, every time.

Based on my own limited experience with regulated airguns and I have never owned an FX airgun.

This may not be the reason why you are seeing more Mavericks on the used market, but it is something to consider.

My next air rifle will NOT be regulated. I'd rather have a "sweet spot" of 10 to 30 shots that I can depend on for the life of the airgun than have to worry about the regulator failing (and it WILL) and having to tear the gun apart to fix it.

I am not a "tinkerer" when it comes to airguns. I want my airgun to be a tool that works like a hammer, first time, every time.

I agree, the problem is almost none of the high end, lighter weight, bullpup style rifles are unregulated.

I agree, the problem is almost none of the high end, lighter weight, bullpup style rifles are unregulated.

(chuckle) One, but not the ONLY $$$$reason$$$$ I don't own a *high end* airgun. (chuckle)

The *marketers* of *high end* airguns are numerous. Marketing of them is prevalent on forums like AGN. (sigh)

Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I just haven't been shooting higher end regulated air guns long enough (only got more seriously into shooting around July of 2020 for something to do at home during lockdown periods) but I have yet to have a regulator fail.

One thing which I learned early was to store regulated guns with the bottle pressure near or just under the reg pressure, and I do this religiously. Maybe that has helped?

The simplicity of non-regulated guns is well accepted. But I enjoy shooting more than I enjoy filling. The non-regulated guns I've owned have all had air cylinders, and I always seemed to want more than the 'golden zone' number of good shots. Perhaps I would be happier with a non-regulated bottle gun (especially now that we can get 700cc bottles). But for now I'm quite content with the performance of my regulated guns. And if/when the reg(s) fail, Huma replacements are easily obtained.

I can almost NOT BELIEVE what I'm reading here, that fellow airgunners ON PURPOSE buy unregulated guns.

Teaches me 3 things:

(1) What I consider essential, indispensable, and improvement/progress —

might be to others superfluous, undesirable, and downgrading/regression. 😱 

(2) Our personal backgrounds and the shooting scenarios we use our various guns in are so very different that this explains much of the stark contrasts between what each of us values or despises. 😊

(3) I'm not alone in being annoyed at the marketing treatments the AG industry is subjecting us day in day out. 😡

🔆 I hope you all have a great weekend, and you GET your Maverick soon, if you want it — or GET RID of your Maverick for a good price if its not for you.

Cheers,

Matthias

I can almost NOT BELIEVE what I'm reading here, that fellow airgunners ON PURPOSE buy unregulated guns.

Teaches me 3 things:

(1) What I consider essential, indispensable, and improvement/progress —

might be to others superfluous, undesirable, and downgrading/regression.
1f631.svg

(2) Our personal backgrounds and the shooting scenarios we use our various guns in are so very different that this explains much of the stark contrasts between what each of us values or despises.
1f60a.svg

(3) I'm not alone in being annoyed at the marketing treatments the AG industry is subjecting us day in day out.
1f621.svg

1f506.svg
I hope you all have a great weekend, and you GET your Maverick soon, if you want it — or GET RID of your Maverick for a good price if its not for you.

Cheers,

Matthias

I rarely need more than 10 shots per day for my backyard pesting needs. So... I can EASILY fill ANY reservoir back to that level with a hand pump if needed.

Although I enjoyed having a regulated airgun for the first year or so, I finally realized that the ES and SD with the Fortitude was nowhere near what I was getting with the lowly Nova Vista Freedom. Yes, the NVF did fail due to the built in pump, but while it worked it was a tack driver from 2900-2500psi for 10 shots with an ES of about 20fps and SD of about 2-4fps, if my memory serves me well and I am probably off on the ES. It was probably lower.

For me, first shot accuracy/precision is required! Regulated airguns will all fail in that arena eventually. Although they might provide an overall better SD/ES at first, ALL regulators WILL FAIL and sooner than later with most from what I have read/gleaned from these online forums.

My backyard pesting requirements are that the first shot be precise and that I can count on at least around 10 or more shots with such precision.

Regulated guns, although I once thought would give me this, are simply too prone to failure given that criteria.

Your Other opinions may vary, but my next PCP will NOT be regulated.

Kerry

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
I feel the use of 2 regulators in this era of higher pressure air tanks decreases the strain on the regulators by decreasing the difference between the incoming pressure and the outgoing pressure of both regulators. The larger the difference the more strain on the regulator. The strain is reduced with stair stepping the pressure reduction with 2 regulators. Decreasing the strain has reduce the number of reports of the dreaded regulator creep ( leading to reduced accuracy as the pressure creeped by the regulator and increased velocity. Add the plenum and I feel I have the best in increasing my shot count and more consistency in accuracy. But that is my view of the situation.

BOTH pretty much need to be tuned together, If the difference between them is not great enough, it will take the big plenum too long to re-fill between shots.

I guess that you could pretty much open Reg#1 and let the gun behave like it had a standard, single regulator, But then you might not get the longevity of Reg#2, or perhaps the lowest ES and SD the gun is capable of. But you could likely get a very adequate ES and SD (reliable/repeatable accuracy) out of a 'single regulator' Maverick, for most uses. Maybe for those who shoot for top precision at longer distances, tuning both together will give the best results.

Given that I gave up on my “flip phones” years ago, and no longer use dial-up internet, I really don’t have any fear of a regulated gun. In fact, since selling my Marauders, and my Airforce Condor SS, I no longer have any unregulated air rifles. In fact, I am quite aligned with Matthias (JungleShooter) and doubt that I would ever consider an unregulated gun. Like TMH, I really went deep into air rifles in April 2020 during the lockdowns, and I haven’t looked back since. I shoot every day, even if it’s just to head down into the basement and fire 10 rounds at the target, offhand at 15 yards. Most days its a lot more than that, even if its too cold to go outside and shoot. So far, I have never had a regulator fail, or even give trouble. Fingers crossed!

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: EDventure