• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I now have access to a fully stocked machine shop, what should I build?

Do not post about creation of or modifications to LDC or Moderators
Okay folks, I now have access to a fully stocked machine shop, we have mills with DROs (Bridgeport & clones), lathes (South bend, Logan, Acer dynamic), cnc 3 axis converted knee mill , tormachs (pro slant), millport CNC lathe, vertical bandsaws, horizontal band saws, and all the accessories you could imagine, collets, chucks, drills, toe clamps, vises, rotary tables, dividing heads, turning tools, end mills, etc

Here’s my question for all of you-> Of course I’m working on the fundamentals right now (seeing how perfectly square I can get a piece of bar stock, speeds and feeds, etc). But what would be some fun Airgun related projects you’d recommend (or good general starters) Here’s my current list:

• ***EDITED***DO NOT POST ABOUT MODIFICATIONS TO MODERATORS OR LDC ***-
  • An adjustable height & length widget to put between my SI folding stock and the shoulder pad so it sits right. I think this will just be some thin bar stock with the center milled out and I’ll just use nuts and bolts to secure the pieces that allow for y and z axis (from user’s perspective) adjustments.
  • Air tube to pic adapter for the GK1. Practice boring and slotting.
  • Speed loaded for rattler, still taking shape in my mind but thinking every time you rotate the mag it pushes a lever/pin that allows for another slug/pellet to drop in. It would be gravity fed.
  • Collapsing stock for GK1. Much more difficult. In my mind I’m envisioning 2 parallel square/rect tubes that have solid square/rect bars inside which are spring loaded that when a button is depressed a latch is unlocked and the stock shoots backwards. Then using notches on the inner bar it essentially locks in place (can’t be pushed back in) when the notches reach a cut out in the tube. The stock can be collapsed by depressing the notches back into the tube then pushing the bar back in which again compresses the internal spring and locks back into the forward notch.
  • Extra mags for select fire Evanix, will probably need to use CNC to hit the dimensions.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good general starters (mostly classics): A hammer - try something with a steel head and a brass head. Thread the heads into the body, turn the handle neatly, knurl the grip. If you thread the handle to the body, pin it or it'll be forever coming loose... A good non-marring (brass) hammer is very useful in airgun work.

Brass-tipped punches, or solid brass punches. Bore cleaning jags.

Machinist's clamps. Look them up if you don't know what they are. Pretty easy to make, and useful besides.

A bench block, maybe even a bench block customized for one of your guns.

Any assembly / disassembly tools: barrel vise.

Shooting rests can be made simple or fancy.

You sound pretty ambitious, which is great, but I'd suggest starting small and getting the basics right before trying to go whole hog. You can still do it all quickly, just prove to yourself that you can walk before you try to run.

Oh yeah, I don't know the conditions of your access, but exercise a great deal of care and respect for the tools you're allowed to use and if in doubt ask. Someone is being pretty generous with their investment - don't make them regret it.

Good luck!

GsT

• Love
Reactions: Bernie7
Some good general starters (mostly classics): A hammer - try something with a steel head and a brass head. Thread the heads into the body, turn the handle neatly, knurl the grip. If you thread the handle to the body, pin it or it'll be forever coming loose... A good non-marring (brass) hammer is very useful in airgun work.

Brass-tipped punches, or solid brass punches. Bore cleaning jags.

Machinist's clamps. Look them up if you don't know what they are. Pretty easy to make, and useful besides.

A bench block, maybe even a bench block customized for one of your guns.

Any assembly / disassembly tools: barrel vise.

Shooting rests can be made simple or fancy.

You sound pretty ambitious, which is great, but I'd suggest starting small and getting the basics right before trying to go whole hog. You can still do it all quickly, just prove to yourself that you can walk before you try to run.

Oh yeah, I don't know the conditions of your access, but exercise a great deal of care and respect for the tools you're allowed to use and if in doubt ask. Someone is being pretty generous with their investment - don't make them regret it.

Good luck!

GsT
Thank you for this, shooting rest and jags are genius! I can see making multiple iterations getting progressively more complex as my skills increase. And yes the hammer is next in line :)

And don’t worry, there’s tool testing in place, you can’t dick around without being able to demonstrate you can both safely operate the machine and do so in a way where you won’t damage it. I do have some rudimentary skill here’s some knobs I made (the grooves are inconsistent because I forgot to mount a dial indicator to measure the carriage travel)
IMG_8271.jpeg