Crosman I never pass one up

I always buy the Crosman 38c, if I can get one for a good price. I've rebuilt and sold dozens of the series over the years. Have only had two of the first year 1964 production guns, with the brass valve. Picked it up for $60

20240305_180059~2.jpg

20240305_180114~2.jpg

20240305_175438~2.jpg

I always buy the Crosman 38c, if I can get one for a good price. I've rebuilt and sold dozens of the series over the years. Have only had two of the first year 1964 production guns, with the brass valve. Picked it up for $60

View attachment 442817

View attachment 442818

View attachment 442819
Love/hate for me. Just when I get em shooting great they start giving me trouble again. Still have a couple in parts. Prepping one to be chromed. Always wanted to build one with a dummy cartridge to be tethered to a tank. I'll get around to it some decade.

Reactions: Septicdeath
For a custom job in mind , any idea what the specs are for the copper tube used on this design ? Can you buy similar copper tube by the inch/metre roll , like from an engineers outfitters ? From a paintabllin perspective , with burst discs and suchlike for safety always a wonder how Crosman came up with using a thin copper tube - that really worked.

For a custom job in mind , any idea what the specs are for the copper tube used on this design ? Can you buy similar copper tube by the inch/metre roll , like from an engineers outfitters ? From a paintabllin perspective , with burst discs and suchlike for safety always a wonder how Crosman came up with using a thin copper tube - that really worked.
Being thin means there aren't a lot of inches for pounds per square inch to act upon - so the pressure isn't that great. What's more (drawn) copper pipe is pretty good for pressure https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/copper-tubes-dimensions-pressure-d_84.html and has the added benefit that if it fails catastrophically it won't shatter - it'll just rip / split.

GsT

Reactions: Modski66
Don't you just hate it when your best Co2 gun fails ! Been there dude .:( Nothing for it , but to take it apart, clean out any crud , then polish everything and put it all back together again . If It still fails again buy a Smith & Wesson 78g LOL (y)
Already got a 78G, a 79G, a Daisy Powerline 44 and a Crosman 600... 😜

Hoping to get a Benjamin EB20 soon....

A dirty little secret...

20240329_154252.jpg

It seems the main seal in the valve is a tap washer that has swollen up and pushed the valve stem so far away from the hammer that it isn't hitting it with any force.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF.... Fiddlesticks. 🤬

Seal kits this side of the pond are like rocking horse poop, so can I get away with making a PTFE one on my lathe, or will I need something softer like polyurethane?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas