• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I never need to clean my barrel -- am I the only one?

I've got an FX Maverick Sniper 30 Cal shooting NSA 54.5gr slugs through an FX Smooth Twist Superior Heavy barrel (1:18 twist rate). I cleaned the barrel when new and again after about 200 rounds through it. My muzzle velocity is approximately 950fps (don't know for sure because I can't trust any of the chronographs I have). I inspect the barrel every few hundred rounds to see if it needs cleaning. The barrel is always shiny clean with just a minuscule lead flake here or there left from the previous shot. I don't clean or lube my slugs. The NSA's always come with a lot of thin bits of Lead slag on them which I just blow away or flick off with my finger as I load the magazines. I've only got about 1200 rounds through this barrel, but so far I've had no need to clean it after the first 200 rounds.

Am I the only one that doesn't have to clean my airgun barrel?

stovepipe

Reactions: Bandito
My gun barrels get cleaned about once a year. They're all Original Smooth Twist barrels (pellets only) & have a reputation for extremely low maintenance. I'm surprised actually to hear that yours haven't required it yet especially since you're shooting slugs. Everything I've read here re: shooting slugs indicates that barrels will need more frequent cleaning as the slug's tighter fit & more barrel contact creates more debris. Consider yourself lucky so far, I guess. You'll know when it's required as accuracy will start to suffer. Until then, keep slinging lead! Have a great holiday weekend.
EDIT: I should mention that my "cleaning" doesn't involve brushes. Just "pull-throughs" & patches.

Last edited:
Clean your barrel?

You mean UNSEASON IT just so you can shoot another 100-200 pellets through it to season it again?

I think cleaning your barrel is an excuse, a scapegoat, shooters compensation if you will.

Funny some people will swear you need 100-200 pellets to season their barrel, while others will swear they need to clean their barrel every tin. Probably more placebo than anything else...

-Matt

He's just trolling you. (Motorhead, not Gerry, lol)

I don't really clean my barrels, been 5 years in pcps and its a non-issue to me. I think many people will chime in that they don't clean their airguns barrels religiously.

-Matt
When my Cricket holds a dime size group at 50yd, why clean. Haven't cleaned my Cricket 1 or Cricket 2 in years. Three shot 1 hole groups many times at 25 yds. Maybe I am lucky, but have a friend that shoots way more then me, he never cleans the barrel. He shoots many 1 hole 30 yd groups with his Cricket and Vulcan. Had a RAW didn't clean barrel in 10 yrs or so same story. Stubbers we may be different. lol

Reactions: Stubbers
I can typically go a couple thousand pellets before I may need to clean. The old adage of cleaning if the groups start to open up does generally ring true in my experience. But it's not often at all. However, I typically stick with one ammo choice for each gun after I found what works and this does seem to help immensely. I've found that if I switch ammo I will often have to clean the barrel if going back to the original ammo because the groups will have opened up. I assume this is because the different pellets changed how the barrel was leaded. Slightly different head size, different hardness of lead, etc. So I greatly avoid changing ammo since this almost guarantees the need to clean, at least for me and my setups.

I've found two scenarios when barrel cleaning helps me the most.
1 - shooting slugs - especially in my EVOL .22 the barrel seems to foul pretty quickly.
2 - when testing a lot of different pellets. I find a good cleaning before and after trying a bunch of different brand and weight pellets helps a lot.

For most guns which are just pellet shooters, the rate of needing a barrel cleaning is pretty low. Again, the EVOL is the standout in that it seems to need much more frequent cleaning that all others.

Also - I've found the distance you are shooting plays into it a bit as well. For 50 yards and in cleaning doesn't seem to help too much. For 100 yard shooting I find a dirty barrel can have more effect on a group starting to spread out.