• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

I need oil for a Yong Heng compressor

Rangeland

I used HUSKY Synthetic Blend Air Compressor oil ($6.99@16oz-Ebay) for initial 1 hour break-in, then switched to HUSKY Full Synthetic Air Compressor Oil ($9.99@16oz-Ebay) for normal use. Shipped free and fast. Compressor takes 10 ounces. HUSKY is Home Depot brand recommended by Biohazardman. Make sure to only fill to top of red center circle on sight glass, as noted on machine.

WM

Rangeland

I can't imagine Lowes would sell a synthetic air compressor oil that would not protect an air compressor. My HUSKY bottle says for all oil-lubricated air compressors, nothing about high or low pressure air compressors. I can't say for sure, I'd take the chance, if you can't wait for HUSKY, but the ultimate decision, and consequences, lie with you.

WM

Been using the Husky Synthetic and the Synthetic Blend for three years now on two different compressors. Filled my Impact bottle with one of my Yong Heng compressors without oil in it once Opps! Figured the compressor was ruined but then put oil in it anyway and it fired up. It is still running a year later so that speaks loudly for the quality of the oil right there. Plenty of good quality oils out there these days though. The Husky stuff is clear so you can see when it is time to change it from contamination as well as time.

Just a little info about 2 stage Yong Heng HPA compressors....

A 2 stage hpa compressor has to have a very high compression ratio in order to produce 4500 psi. Where a 3 or 4 stage compressor can cut the compression ratio drastically,while still producing 4500psi.

All high compression 2 stage compressors (like a YH) are very prone to detonation of the oil blow-by. All from the very high heat of compression developed by the very high compression ratio. This heat of compression, in the compression chamber/valves can not be controlled by the water cooling jackets/circuits currently being used in this type compressor. Realistically, no amount of external cooling can change the physics of a 2 stage hpa compressor compression ratio. Or the problems created by the deto/carbon build up.

This detonated oil blow by causes a carbon build up under the valves, eventually causing the valves to be held slightly open by the carbon deposits from the combustion/detonation of this oil blow by. This carbon build up/valve leak problem ,will develop slowly over time and eventually cause slow fill times till compressor won't reach high pressure...

This makes it even more important to use a high flash point/low detonation hpa oil in a 2 stage HPA compressor. And even with the best HPA comp oils, a 2 stage compressor will eventually have carbon build up. but a proper oil will slow this way down...

All continuous duty HPA compressor oil has a very high flash point, creating low carbon build up. The correct HPA compressor oil has a very high detonation threshold.

Bauer HPA compressor oil has the correct properties. When used in its compressors, does not usually allow detonation from its blow-by, as do most all quality continuous duty HPA compressor oils. Low pressure air compressor oils do not have or need this quality.

Also very important to not over fill the sump of a Hpa compressor, especially 1 that holds very little oil, better to be slightly low than high. Over filling causes excess blow-by. Bad enough blow-by detonation can cause rod/bearing failure, and make oil dark/dirty way before its time. If you have lots of oil residue in your filters/driers, might want to check your oil level and compressor internals for wear, allowing excess blow-by...

GAL_011.1626008401.jpg

JMO

Reactions: Humdinger
acs,

Thanks, that was interesting and helpful. Any additional comments regarding use of synthetic vs. non-synthetic air compressor oils, as it relates to blow-by detonation? Also, I see the Bauer is synthetic, do you know of any additives that allow this brand to have the "correct properties" for HP air compressors versus other synthetic A/C lubricants? Thanks,

WM

I have an Alpha Carette compressor from Joe Brancato at HPA . It shipped from HPA with a 365mL bottle of Anderol ISO 150 diester synthetic compressor oil. The Yong Heng would probably use the same or similar, so for what it's worth I'll chip in.

I didn't want to deviate from the "spec" oil, so I did quite a bit of searching online as the first oil change interval approached (5-hours runtime, per the manual). I couldn't find a synthetic diester ISO 150 oil that didn't come in 5 gal buckets or 55 gal drums, and didn't cost a small fortune.

After a few weeks, I finally did locate some. One was on Amazon sold under the brand name "Lube-V," and the other was on eBay sold under the brand name "Ultrachem Chemlube 751". They both came out to around $40 for a quart, shipped. May seem pricey, but it's a specialty oil, the compressor only takes about a third of a quart per change, and the next two intervals are at 20 and 60 hours of runtime, which will be a few years away for me. I got a quart of the Chemlube and it is a nice clear oil, just like the Anderol. Compressor seemed to run fine today when I topped my tank off.

Good luck.

Just a little info about 2 stage Yong Heng HPA compressors....

A 2 stage hpa compressor has to have a very high compression ratio in order to produce 4500 psi. Where a 3 or 4 stage compressor can cut the compression ratio drastically,while still producing 4500psi.

All high compression 2 stage compressors (like a YH) are very prone to detonation of the oil blow-by. All from the very high heat of compression developed by the very high compression ratio. This heat of compression, in the compression chamber/valves can not be controlled by the water cooling jackets/circuits currently being used in this type compressor. Realistically, no amount of external cooling can change the physics of a 2 stage hpa compressor compression ratio. Or the problems created by the deto/carbon build up.

This detonated oil blow by causes a carbon build up under the valves, eventually causing the valves to be held slightly open by the carbon deposits from the combustion/detonation of this oil blow by. This carbon build up/valve leak problem ,will develop slowly over time and eventually cause slow fill times till compressor won't reach high pressure...

This makes it even more important to use a high flash point/low detonation hpa oil in a 2 stage HPA compressor. And even with the best HPA comp oils, a 2 stage compressor will eventually have carbon build up. but a proper oil will slow this way down...

All continuous duty HPA compressor oil has a very high flash point, creating low carbon build up. The correct HPA compressor oil has a very high detonation threshold.

Bauer HPA compressor oil has the correct properties. When used in its compressors, does not usually allow detonation from its blow-by, as do most all quality continuous duty HPA compressor oils. Low pressure air compressor oils do not have or need this quality.

Also very important to not over fill the sump of a Hpa compressor, especially 1 that holds very little oil, better to be slightly low than high. Over filling causes excess blow-by. Bad enough blow-by detonation can cause rod/bearing failure, and make oil dark/dirty way before its time. If you have lots of oil residue in your filters/driers, might want to check your oil level and compressor internals for wear, allowing excess blow-by...

GAL_011.1626008401.jpg

JMO

Nice summary. Not nearly as "simple" as some people seem to think.