I need a pellet rifle. .177 that my 12 yo daughter can cock without much trouble

I have an HW 90 in 22and a Varmint in 177. The varmint is 8 years old and shoots as good as the day I bought it. It has over 5k pellets down the bore. I have killed more tree rats with it than I can count. By far no where the power and accuracy of the HW 90 but good enough for backyard session without breaking the bank. If you have $300 to spend go for the HW 30S, Its a fantastic weapon but if you are limited to $100, the varmint will do just fine.

I second this because the short length of pull will help her develop proper offhand shooting setup.
Third on this (take a close look at my profile pic!) The importance of proper form should not be understated, and the 14"-ish length of pull on an HW30 or other similar adult air rifles is just too long for younger kids. My Embark has proven to be highly accurate and easy to shoot well. It's no Weihrauch, but I found the quality and trigger to be more than adequate and I think it's a great value and fun plinker. The Ruger Explorer is virtually the same gun, but with fiber optic sights (which I don't like). I also love the Slavia 618, which is so small that a 8 year old can shoot it offhand. All of these are really easy to cock.

All that said, for a 12 year old, depending on her size and stature, she may be "big enough" for a proper adult rifle. If that's the case, I can't think of a better choice than the HW30 - easy to cock, accurate as can be, and can be passed along to your great grandchildren. I'd say skip the scope for a start, or put a Williams peep on there, but that's just me. Spiralgroove made a good point above - if you've never shot a high quality springer before, you'll be surprised at how different they are than any of the low cost, big-box store "pellet guns and you may want to keep it yourself! It's not "Chevy vs Cadillac," it's more like comparing a 1985 Yugo versus today's Cadillac.

I'd start by measuring the length of pull on her daisy - most of them are 13.5-14 inches despite being marketed to kids. If that's the case and she's comfortable with it, you can probably skip the youth rifles if budget allows. If the budget is key, then the Embark is probably your best bet - anything in the $100-$200 price range that claims to be "better" is just higher-powered and will likely shoot like a bucket of bolts.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkingrph
Get an XS12. In fact, there's one in the classifieds right now. Same power and cocking force as a HW30, but you won't be upset if it gets damaged.
If budget is key, this is also good way to go instead of an HW30. Made in China, but decent and if you get one that Flying Dragon (Mike Melick) has tuned, that should be quite nice.

If budget is key, this is also good way to go instead of an HW30. Made in China, but decent and if you get one that Flying Dragon (Mike Melick) has tuned, that should be quite nice.
Personally I woud stay away from anything made in China nowdays. Their airguns may be good, have never seen one, but I doubt if the quality control in that segment of there manufacturing is there, don't really know but just my opinion. I like to buy for the long run, so how good are these and if needed in the future will parts be available and as I neither have the tools nor inclination to repair is there anyone in the country to repair these. You can easily find someone to work on most of the German and British made guns.

This Stoeger X3 is a good choice. It’s made in a tactical and a wooden stock. It’s a discontinued model but still can be found. Bought these in wood for both my grandsons.
6738F18A-CBF0-4D99-A94A-19CEDCEB3C12.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawroots
Gamo Varmint. Around 90 $ on Amazon. My grandson loves his and has no problem cocking it. He is 12. Great starter for a kid that has outgrown BB
I have a Gamo Varmint it,s at least 3 years old now and has had 2000 + rounds through it. It seems well built and dead accurate out to 40 yd. I think it is a Heck of a buy for under 100 bucks.

Reactions: Rawroots