• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

I might have to have a PCP

I have several rifles, and pistols too. All my rifles are break barrels and a couple of multi pump replicas. I have a problem that is not getting better as time passes. It appears to be nerve damage in my left hand, making shooting break barrels more difficult a time passes. I have never bought PCP guns because of the cost but I might have to give it some thought.

Well of course you have to have a PCP doesn't everyone? ;^) You can get off pretty cheap with a Crosman Maxima or Fortitude although the Marauder pistol would be my choice as a first PCP. I used a hand pump, with my modified from Co2 Crosman PCPs till I found it was causing me physical problems. After that I filled my smallish tanks at the paintball shop until I realized I could buy a compressor for what I was spending there. So, then I invested in an inexpensive Yong Heng and never looked back. It's about the best compressor you can get for under $1000 and comes in at just under $300. I really enjoy shooting and not having to pay the physical price for doing so anymore.

Dive in and enjoy what you can manage.

https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-maximus-22

https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-fortitude-air-rifle.html#AGD-45698918

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/benjamin-marauder-air-pistol?m=2367

For the Yong Heng. Only buy the "Hardcover" or "Set Pressure" models.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/safe-seller-of-yong-heng/?referrer=1

I tried PCPs three times now over a decade or so. I doubt I'll do that again. Break-barrels, the only way to go.

No hassle, no work, no waiting around for a fill, et al.... just grab the ammo, gun and go.

If I get so old I can't handle one of those, then I'll just switch to co2 canisters. Or simply pick up a real gun and plink.

I have PCP's and springers and enjoy both kinds of air guns. My PCP's are more accurate, but are much more expensive to own and shoot (with a compressor, SCBA tank, etc.). My springers are just simple - grab it, cock it, shoot it. And my TX200 is about as accurate a springer as exists. Of my PCP's, it's hard to pick my most accurate - all of them a tack drivers.

All I've ever owned were springers...........until a couple weeks ago. Got a lightly used Daystate Huntman Regal XL and it's been a real eye opener. Takes about 5 minutes to top it off with a pump, and it's stupidly easy to shoot. It really is a completely different experience.

I'm not getting rid of the springers. Totally different animals; I like them both. 

These days, you don't have to spend the quid on a Daystate to get a good shooting PCP. It was just a thing I needed to do before I die. Look at the reviews of the Air Venturi Avenger. It's pretty compelling.

Have fun!

All I've ever owned were springers...........until a couple weeks ago. Got a lightly used Daystate Huntman Regal XL and it's been a real eye opener. Takes about 5 minutes to top it off with a pump, and it's stupidly easy to shoot. It really is a completely different experience.

I'm not getting rid of the springers. Totally different animals; I like them both. 

These days, you don't have to spend the quid on a Daystate to get a good shooting PCP. It was just a thing I needed to do before I die. Look at the reviews of the Air Venturi Avenger. It's pretty compelling.

Have fun!

Funny you should mention the Avenger - I have one in .25 cal and it's a fine air rifle, and didn't hit my wallet as hard as my .25 Daystate Wolverine HP R did. The Wolverine is prettier, but I've never bought a gun based on looks, I look at accuracy - both are very accurate.

My air rifle realm of CO2 and pneumatic and springer informed me of the long range accuracy and power a PCP rifle has. They are all absolutely incredible and everyone who likes ANY kind of air gun SHOULD have the PCP rifle! It is more complicated than a long rifle .22 but when it shoots it is from compressed air hammered perfectly over a release air valve.

The PCP is always an eye opener and the best way the compare your own favorite air rifle style whether sidelever, break barrel , CO2, pneumatic--everything comes into crystal clear diamond fashioned clarity comparing the PCP to the others!

I have all the air types and know why I like things like the PCP for a "comparision."

Kindly,

Have fun!

I spent my last bucks that I had together on the Daystate Regal Huntsman .177 and now the price of this has risen a few hundred dollars. I just have mine for comparison to the break barrel springers I have and the Daystate is too light for me to hold accurately offhand--the rifle is TOO LIGHT! But I do know it shoots one hole groups in a rested position.

However, give me the HW98 in any caliber over the Daystate Huntsman to shoot offhand!

Kindly,

Dont Over look a Crosman/Sheridan 2260MB, I have this C02 Gun, in .22cal, and I have the GRAVMag 9S, 10 shot Gravity Fed Magazine on it, it mounts to the Dovetail at the Breech opening, Zero Miss feeds, it works really well. the Gravity fed magazine allows you to use a scope with it, as the magazine is angled for scope mounting, and Loading pellets for, Quick Follow up shots. Another Very Good, inexpensive C02 gun is the Umarex Fusion 2, this one is .177 only and has a Moderator and is pretty quiet. Either of these could be setup for Dual fuel Low Pressure HPA. 

Dont Over look a Crosman/Sheridan 2260MB, I have this C02 Gun, in .22cal, and I have the GRAVMag 9S, 10 shot Gravity Fed Magazine on it, it mounts to the Dovetail at the Breech opening, Zero Miss feeds, it works really well. the Gravity fed magazine allows you to use a scope with it, as the magazine is angled for scope mounting, and Loading pellets for, Quick Follow up shots. Another Very Good, inexpensive C02 gun is the Umarex Fusion 2, this one is .177 only and has a Moderator and is pretty quiet. Either of these could be setup for Dual fuel Low Pressure HPA.

I looked it up!

It is a handgun made by Crossman that holds one 12.5gr CO2 cylinder released inside the vault beneath the barrel.

I never had one of these but had seen them for sale but never went for it. I think my problem was the Smith and Wesson "Model 41" (78G) CO2 pistol far exceeded anything else I went for in Crossman. 

And then SW gave up that project that they should reinvent better......

There is the "Maurader" and all sorts of Crossman Handgun designs made into carbines and even rifle things.

However, The Trigger System of all Crossman designs is severely limited in accurate shooting. The pistol or marauding pistol with more than one cartridge or using PCP is just a Crossman 1322 or .177 of the same design.

In handgun pellet territory I have not seen anything as easy and accurate as the old 78G from SW in the early 70's.

I do have an HW44 in .22 that has the same impact as my HW80K .22; but if I really WANT something FAST POWERFUL and accurate (of course!) I just haul my heavy D54 .20 with glass lenses and an anti recoil mount with rings already adjusted for 35 to 105 yards with JSB Exact .20 HEAVIES!

Then game over!

Blasphemy! Scuba tanks, hand pumps, compressor$$, shot per fill, regulated, unregulated, leaks, fittings, quick disconnects, gauges......plus mucho, mucho mas $$. First gathering of air gunners I ever attended, I was walking up to the firing line to check things out. Here comes a guy with a + $2000 PCP that he was taking back to his truck. That rifle never fired a shot that weekend, leaks.

I do have working and non-working PCPs.

Non-working: Rapid Air Weapons TM-1000 single shot .177 (tank hissed out).

Working:

1999 Beeman Falcon .25

HW44 .22 PCP Pistol

Daystate Huntsman Regal .177

Each of these PCPs can be used with incredible accuracy with any pellet fed into them.

I'd have to use sandbags and concrete bench rests attached to the earth really wring out any PCP.

But if you want to learn your PCP offhand and then compare to a break barrel or sidelever the idea comes to mind: No tanks, pumps, hoses, valves, attachment systems required.

Just break the barrel like you'd do with a fine side by side or over under at the trap range and shoot again and again and again with absolute ease and consistency----and never stopping to refill a compressed cylinder of CO2 or Scuba Quality Moisture Free Air or a hand pump capable of lasting as long as a Scuba Tank Shop.

Why depend on anything else but yourself for the air you inject into the air rifle with a single precise stroke!

Put with precision in mind mind you with consistency shot after shot without pause......

I also have a bit of wrist problems (twisting wrenches for years) I do have difficulty sometime with HW95/30. A good PCP is a lot of fun without the pain, I still love the breakers, but at times the PCP is better. Dont skimp out price wise, I've been down that road, Hatsan AT44 new, would'nt take air, sent it back, they sent it back to me a month later not fixing it. I bought a S510, and its a dream to shoot, but its too nice to be a brush gun. So pick something to your purpose, and intended use. I also like the side lever action, it cycles a lot easier than pyulling a bolt type action.

Good Luck

I also have a bit of wrist problems (twisting wrenches for years) I do have difficulty sometime with HW95/30. A good PCP is a lot of fun without the pain, I still love the breakers, but at times the PCP is better. Dont skimp out price wise, I've been down that road, Hatsan AT44 new, would'nt take air, sent it back, they sent it back to me a month later not fixing it. I bought a S510, and its a dream to shoot, but its too nice to be a brush gun. So pick something to your purpose, and intended use. I also like the side lever action, it cycles a lot easier than pyulling a bolt type action.

Good Luck

I meant this, the Daystate (really brand new and a lot easier to hand pump than the HW44 .22) is the .177 repeater that will shoot into one hole at 35 yards using 10.33gr Kaiser Sovereigns.

Lately, I've found my newest HW98 in .177 and Hawke scope shoots exactly as far as the velocity of the pellet can take it.

It is truly THE END of .177 shooting: The HW98.

I have the Daystate Huntsman Regal but it won't hit the target consistently round after round at 35 yards like the HW98 .177 does.

The FWB Sport .177 is what it is, liked or hated. I don't use it myself anymore it just sits because I'm better off with an HW98 .177.

The Daystate PCP is too light in total weight and balance to be "precise" with while shooting offhand. Only the HW98s get that nomination along with a specialized recoilless D54 .20 I call the "Hector Special."

Only he put those barrels in the D54 (.20). 

No one else had enough faith to overtake the caliber selection in D54 offered in .177 and .22 to go .20----But Lothar Walther did.