HW/Weihrauch I left the HW30 cocked again🤬

bummer!!! no doubt. over many years i check ot see if cocked every time before sheathing. do your self a favour and get a vortek kit. ive tunned a few HW 30s. and its a great one for them...always double check make sure its uncocked. BUT if you tune with kit...youll be thankful! :)
Thank you for the tip. This gun has had a Vortek kit in it since 2016. It's a PG2 kit. My other two 30s have a PG2 and PG4 kit. I've installed Vortek kits probably a dozen Hw30 and R7s. They all make about 710 - 720 with 7.33 JSBs when fresh. They usually settle down to 700 in a couple thousand shots. They eventually sink to 680s and that's when I change the spring.

These numbers are for clean running guns. Meaning there's minimal dieseling. Dieseling will bump those numbers higher but usually hurts accuracy. I try to run the guns as clean as possible. My wife's gun for some reason runs 730-740 without dieseling. It hasn't had much use so it may settle down yet. It's ridiculously accurate at those velocities.

I used to break the barrel, load and close when hunting or staying ready for a pest. Only takes a second to cock it.
True, but sometimes something will only show up for a second and there's not enough time to cock it. There's also times the motion of cocking the gun scares away the critter.

I'll continue to leave one cocked and loaded on the deck. I'll just have to be more cognizant of uncocking it when it comes in the house. This isn't the first time I left one cocked too long it's probably not going to be last. Well unless I leave a rimfire on the deck for pest.

Reactions: fishing43
Velocity aside, how does it shoot? Did taming the spring some help the shooting qualities? If so leave it alone. It’s not enough velocity to really matter.
I haven't shot the rifle for accuracy since. It's been raining and or windy and supposed to be for the rest of the week. The shot cycle doesn't feel any different and I can't imagine the gun being more accurate than it was. The only weak spot in that gun is my abilities with the peeps .

With peeps holding over is hard so I like my 30s fast and flat. This way I can hit 2" spinners out to 50 yards. I prefer getting as close to 700fps as possible with any air rifle.

Between crumby weather, holiday activities and my kids coming to visit I haven't shot my HW30s in a while. Today I took my peep sighted 30 out and found it loaded and cocked. For how long? I'm not sure. I'd guess at least two weeks. Fired off the loaded shot and a few more. It felt fine. I set up the chrono to make sure. Nope.

This gun was last shooting 7.33s around 715 fps. Today ten shots averaged 686 fps. That's almost 30 fps. When people tell you leaving a springer cocked doesn't do anything, all I'll say it's it depends on the gun and for how long. It's embarrassing to say but this is the second time I've done this to the same gun. Last time it was over a three day weekend and the results were about the same.

I keep extra springs on hand. Now I have to decide if I want to change it out. I like them over 700fps.

Fool me once.... Fool me twice.....🤦

View attachment 423361
I would consider it a win if I hadn’t shot a window or worse, my eye out! Unexpectedly live guns always give me pause. I fear the older I get the more mistakes I will make. Though my recently acquired Glock 10 mm has me handling all of my guns like dynamite. My 22-year-old son recently came to the range and tried it out. His comment was why the f would anybody want to shoot one of these things? It’s a compact and 10 mm is a heavy load to hang onto with two fingers.

I would consider it a win if I hadn’t shot a window or worse, my eye out! Unexpectedly live guns always give me pause. I fear the older I get the more mistakes I will make. Though my recently acquired Glock 10 mm has me handling all of my guns like dynamite. My 22-year-old son recently came to the range and tried it out. His comment was why the f would anybody want to shoot one of these things? It’s a compact and 10 mm is a heavy load to hang onto with two fingers.
I have plenty of "live" real guns around for reason already explained. As far as leaving the Hw30 and sometimes Hw50 cocked outside. Both rifles have automatic safeties and the safety only comes off at the time of the shot. There's no chance of accidental discharge inside or outside.

As far as the rest of our live real guns most are loaded and not chambered. Again accidental discharge is impossible.

Our pistols and shot guns are always chambered and ready to go. Pistols and shotguns are easy to distinguish making it easy to know what's always loaded.

Bone stock .177 R7. I think the barrel is shorter than the HW30. I use JSB 7.87 gr pellets.
The slight difference in barrel length doesn't affect speed on these lower power rifles.

7.87 should put you well over 600 unless it's an older rifle. What year is it?

Also if you you're happy with it don't worry about it. If you're not it's usually easily fixed.

The slight difference in barrel length doesn't affect speed on these lower power rifles.

7.87 should put you well over 600 unless it's an older rifle. What year is it?

Also if you you're happy with it don't worry about it. If you're not it's usually easily fixed.
It's a fairly new rifle, and yes, I'm happy with it.

Reactions: Mycapt65