HW/Weihrauch I left the HW30 cocked again🤬

Between crumby weather, holiday activities and my kids coming to visit I haven't shot my HW30s in a while. Today I took my peep sighted 30 out and found it loaded and cocked. For how long? I'm not sure. I'd guess at least two weeks. Fired off the loaded shot and a few more. It felt fine. I set up the chrono to make sure. Nope.

This gun was last shooting 7.33s around 715 fps. Today ten shots averaged 686 fps. That's almost 30 fps. When people tell you leaving a springer cocked doesn't do anything, all I'll say it's it depends on the gun and for how long. It's embarrassing to say but this is the second time I've done this to the same gun. Last time it was over a three day weekend and the results were about the same.

I keep extra springs on hand. Now I have to decide if I want to change it out. I like them over 700fps.

Fool me once.... Fool me twice.....🤦

image.jpg

Thanks all. I tried leaving the last one alone hoping it would come back. It did a little but not near enough. I'll see what happens with this one. It'll be like a controlled experiment in stupidity. 🙁

Luckily springs are cheap and I can swap one in under ten minutes. I just hate having to fix things that were only f'd up by my own stupidity.

Stuff happens 😒

Sorry to hear that happened Ron. At least you know someone that can swap it cheap, sorry couldn't help myself. POA may need to be a tad higher at those 100yd cans.
I only got a 100 yard beer can once with this rifle and it took forever with the help of a spotter. The front sight has to be held so high the lower body of the front globe sight completely blocks the can.

My scoped Laminate 30 will whack em all day of the wind is down.

Sorry to hear that.
I made it a ritual to pull the trigger safely before I walk it in the house. Crow
I shoot from my front or rear deck, so there's no walk back. I generally keep it loaded and cocked on the deck for pest until dark. Once in a while I forget the gun is out there, and hastily grab it to bring it in so it doesn't get dew on it in the morning. Apparently the last time I brought it in I forgot to uncock it.

Reactions: crowski
Between crumby weather, holiday activities and my kids coming to visit I haven't shot my HW30s in a while. Today I took my peep sighted 30 out and found it loaded and cocked. For how long? I'm not sure. I'd guess at least two weeks. Fired off the loaded shot and a few more. It felt fine. I set up the chrono to make sure. Nope.

This gun was last shooting 7.33s around 715 fps. Today ten shots averaged 686 fps. That's almost 30 fps. When people tell you leaving a springer cocked doesn't do anything, all I'll say it's it depends on the gun and for how long. It's embarrassing to say but this is the second time I've done this to the same gun. Last time it was over a three day weekend and the results were about the same.

I keep extra springs on hand. Now I have to decide if I want to change it out. I like them over 700fps.

Fool me once.... Fool me twice.....🤦

View attachment 423361
Bummer about the drop in fps. I always make sure mine are unloaded. Treat them exactly like a firearm. Checked when loaded into the truck, or brought inside.

I shoot from my front or rear deck, so there's no walk back. I generally keep it loaded and cocked on the deck for pest until dark. Once in a while I forget the gun is out there, and hastily grab it to bring it in so it doesn't get dew on it in the morning. Apparently the last time I brought it in I forgot to uncock it.
Not hard to do.
If I’m pesting I will put a round in the breach, but not cock it. Much safer. Crow

Last edited:
Reactions: harrympope
Bummer about the drop in fps. I always make sure mine are unloaded. Treat them exactly like a firearm. Checked when loaded into the truck, or brought inside.
I'm deep in the sticks of Arkansas. I have a rack full of fully loaded weapons. I'm well outside of help. I'm my own first responder. It's just my wife and I here so there's no worry about mishandling of weapons. Defensive weapons being loaded and chambered is a given. We both understand that.

Last edited:
I'm deep in the sticks of Arkansas. I have a rack full of fully load weapons. I'm well outside of help. I'm my own first responder. It's just my wife and I here so there's no worry about mishandling of weapons. Defensive weapons being loaded and chambered is a given. We both understand that.
I always have one loaded and since it's a revolver there's always one chambered.