I learned something today about FX barrels

I never realized that they have a standard smooth twist barrel (rifled only at the muzzle end) that's just a tube (liner) which fits the Smooth Twist X barrels system guns. I always thought the standard Smooth Twist barrel was the thicker one that came in most MK1 guns and everything that fit the STX guns was rifled from end to end. I'll be darned.

Glenn in Texas 

The smooth twist was the original. They had a smooth twist liner. Which had only 4 inch of rifling. Shoots jsb pellets fine. But shoot other pellets like poop. That's why they came up with smooth twist X. You don't change the barrel. Just the liner. Can switch between both. But X is the way to go. That's why they stop making the original smooth twist. You will only find them in older fx guns. Why would you want to down grade back to the smooth twist? If it was a good liner, they wouldn't need to make the X. 

I recently bought a Royale 400 in .22, which still uses the original Smooth Twist barrel, and I can say it is in no way a down grade. I had a Crown, also in .22, and it shot fine, but no better than the Royale. I have put around 600 shots through the Royale, have not cleaned the barrel, and accuracy remains stellar. The Crown shot as well when clean, but, mine fouled rather quickly, so it needed frequent cleaning. I can't say how the Royale shoots with other pellets, since JSB is about all I shoot anyway.. I find the simplicity of the Royale's design appealing, without the additional shroud, and the factory moderator works well. 

The FX Royale line is and outstandin line of air guns. Yes, they tend to only shoot the JSB's well, but so what? They are extremely simple guns, have three step power aduster, are very stingy on air, and very accurate. The Crown is a marvel for sure, but there's definitely still a place for the Royale line of guns. My Royale 200 was probably my favorite gun to date. Wish I never sold it. 

Chas

Airmanator,

I think you misunderstood my friend. I've already got a gun with the original ST barrel and one with the STX... love 'em both. All I'm saying is that I didn't realize FX made a liner for the X-series gun that has partial rifling like the old ST barrel but was in liner form to fit the X barrel guns. Seems counter productive to me although I'm sure there's a reason hidden in there somewhere. I ran across this info when I was watching one of Matt Dubber's videos comparing the m1 and m2 Wildcats.

Glenn in Texas

Due to high demand early on, the Wildcat MKII was released with the Smooth Twist X system, but with a Smooth Twist (No “X”) liner. When FX’s production of the STX liners caught up somewhat with the demand, they then started shipping all MKII Wildcats with the Smooth Twist X liners. This was the case with my Wildcat MKII .25. I purchased a STX “A” liner later on. I agree though, with JSB pellets any accuracy difference is not even noticeable between the two barrel types.

The FX Royale line is and outstandin line of air guns. Yes, they tend to only shoot the JSB's well, but so what? They are extremely simple guns, have three step power aduster, are very stingy on air, and very accurate. The Crown is a marvel for sure, but there's definitely still a place for the Royale line of guns. My Royale 200 was probably my favorite gun to date. Wish I never sold it. 

Chas

Could not agree more. 

My .22 Royale 400 is a little less than 5 years old and has over 48,000 rounds through it. The rifle has been and still is incredibly accurate and reliable.

Good to hear. My experience with the Royale 400 is only recent, have about 600 rounds through it. I have several other high end air rifles that would be considered much more sophisticated and desirable by today's standards. But none of them shoot any better than the Royale in what I would describe as "practical" shooting scenarios; i.e., casual target, plinking, hunting, etc. Given its lighter weight and more field-oriented trigger, it's not as easy to shoot from the bench as more purpose built rifles, but mechanically, I believe a machine rest would show it to be just about as accurate. It is now my go-to critter control rifle for squirrels around the yard. Distances are 25-30 yards and, so far, I just don't miss with it. I have also found that I only rarely need to re-zero, as POI is very stable. Guess that may be partly due to no full length shroud, something of which I am not a huge fan. I am beginning to believe the Royale 400 is one of those iconic products that, although it may become outdated by current technology, it survives as a reliable work horse that does everything pretty darn good. As an old clay target shooting friend of mine once said, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on several high end shotguns, "you know, this Beretta auto-loader is really the only shotgun anyone needs." Some things are just that good.

Completely agree with the Royale. One of the best guns ever produced. And I much prefer the old smooth twist barrels over the STX. The new system must be a lot cheaper for them to manufacture because otherwise all dreamlines should still have smooth twist barrels for rigidity as they shoot pellets just as well and don't have the power for heavy slug shooting. And it should be an option for Crowns as well for people who only want to shoot pellets. You never hear of Streamline barrels flexing and hitting the air tube but a lot of Dreamlines apparently do. It would be a real shame if they ever completely stop making the old solid barrels that also never need cleaning. And yes I have owned an Impact X with the liner system.