• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I just received Hawke's new 4x & 6x Prism Sight!

I saw these at SHOT Show 2023 and thought... gee these prisms might be able to satisfy the fun plinker and/or close range hunter.

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7364.JPG

These units do NOT have a parallax adjustment, but they really offer a whole lot of goodness at 1/2 the price. I'm not sure I'll use the 4x prism (on an airgun), but I'm definitely going to mount the 6x prism and give it a fair shake.

Initial impressions:
  • The BDC reticle is designed for 5.56 ammunitions, but I think it can still be useful for basic holdovers.
  • The illumination is bright and crisp, and the reticle is dark and refined.
  • The reticle is larger on the 6x model.
  • After adjusted the ocular lens I was able to obtain a clear reticle and target picture all the way down to 15 yards. At this distance there was roughly 1/2 inch of parallax shift when aggressively bobbing my head, but nothing a good cheek weld couldn't overcome.
  • All models come with a built in picatinny rail mount.
  • At 8.2 & 9.8 ounces they are very light.
Obviously these are not high magnification precision target shooting scopes. While the 4x could be used like a magnified red-dot, I think the 6x model will appeal to a lot of plinkers & hunters out to at least 50y (maybe 75y depending on the size of the target).

After I get it mounted and tested I'll circle back with some real world experience.

-Michael

I agree. Many of these little prism sights have crisp & clear sight picture, even at close ranges. Also, the parallax error is not as bad as we go on about. You will not be accurate if you don't have a repeatable cheek weld adjustable parallax or not. Maybe having a scope or two without it will encourage a shooter to have better form. These are good-looking sights.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael
A last and most important question... the eye relief ... how friendly is it?
I am looking for my Leshiy2, and when folded all of the scopes (with 3-4" eye relief) overhang at the back. I had a fantastic glass IO 14x50 but got rid of it because the length was unmanageable when mounted.
I like the reticle in this Axeon, must be easy for close combat actions in my backyard protecting my walnut trees.
Thanks

Reactions: .20calguy
I think people's concerns over parallax error is disproportionate when it comes to low mag small objective optics.

Here's my squirrel gun. A 177 HW50 with a 4X Hawke Vantage with 100 yard fixed parallax. I have no problem hitting 1.5" spinners at 50 yards, 3/8" groups at 25 yards and single round hole groups at ten yards. My groups with this gun and scope are on par with this and other guns with AO/SF scopes. Just make looking down the center scope muscle memory.

I'm interested in the prism scopes for my AR.

20220629_164736.jpg

Reactions: Nutcracker
@Mycapt65 65, I agree parallax error is not too bad on low-power scopes. In my first 35 years, I never heard of parallax and killed hundreds of small game, mostly squirrels, less than 50 yards with a rimfire. I am more concerned about focus, and moving the objective seems to help me but fixes the parallax, too. On a low-power scope mounted on a sub-25-ft pound rifle, I don't care how out of focus or parallax error is past 50 yards. It could be blacked out. But like it sharp at 20-50.

I like the ret on this scope. Light weight

Reactions: Scouty
@Mycapt65 65, I agree parallax error is not too bad on low-power scopes. In my first 35 years, I never heard of parallax and killed hundreds of small game, mostly squirrels, less than 50 yards with a rimfire. I am more concerned about focus, and moving the objective seems to help me but fixes the parallax, too. On a low-power scope mounted on a sub-25-ft pound rifle, I don't care how out of focus or parallax error is past 50 yards. It could be blacked out. But like it sharp at 20-50.

I like the ret on this scope. Light weight
I agree. I had to read your post three times to understand because I'm dense. The scope I mentioned is Lazer sharp (clear) 12 yards out. Sharp enough I shot a mouse under ten yards four days ago.
I mounted three 2-7 similar Vantage non AO scopes on a 223, 243 and a 7mm-08 last week because I bought property thats mostly wooded and 25 yards would be about as far as you could see most days. Low power small objective scopes have little parallax. It's when you have people wanting a 6-24 x 50 to shoot ten yards you have problems with parallax and focus. I'll never understand that.

I took the Hawke 6x prism to the 50 meter range. I did zero it at 25 meter. The glass is clear and I like the Fov. The eye relief is pretty good, 7 to 8 cm. When I shoot at 50 meters I can see the bullet impact. I use the first hold over at 50 meter and that works great for my set up. Its a keeper for my Leshiy 2, rapid shooting at different distances.
20231108_193416.jpg

Ordered one from Pyramyd now. Not listed in Norway or Scandinavia. With shipping, customs and a weak NOK/USD exchange rate at the moment, the price doubled up. Irritating - I could get two (actually I wanted 3) for the cost if living in the US of A....
Well, it will sooner or later be available in the stores over here, so in the meantime I`ll swap "the pricy overseas one" between some of my guns.