I have a conundrum on PCP value?

I have had at least a dozen lower end pcps. Built a ton of custom guns from the lower end stuff too. I've even had a couple nice BSA guns, every one of the crosman craftsman line, and a couple Mrods and hatsans in there. All have gone bye bye for one reason or another.

I landed on Kral guns, their bottle guns in particular, and those stayed. I can tinker on them, and they're accurate and plenty powerful for what I need. Well made and simple, just a tad bit heavy.

That said, I plan to get my huntsman revere within the year, and hope to God it feels "right" for me.

I have goldilocks complex when it comes to air guns for some reason.

Doesn’t matter where it’s from, doesn’t matter what it costs. I keep guns that provide the ability for me to become a better shooter. That can’t be bought.

This is a hobby, we all have different interests. You’re not wrong if it is your desired path.

I have rifles from both sides of the spectrum.

Sweat equity. An affordable rifle that I’ve put the time in to refine and make better has been more rewarding to me than the rifles I’ve bought that are already there. That’s just me.

I've got a ~$500 rifle and a $1300 rifle. I won't part with either. I started with an unregulated .177 Gen 1 Marauder and several years later got an FX DreamTac (also .177). Both are well built, with the nod going to FX for sophistication. More work went into getting the Marauder running the way I wanted, but it never shot badly or gave me any undue trouble. I've since outfitted the Mrod with a peep sight, putting it in a class altogether different than the DreamTac. Neither goes long without being shot and I really cannot say which I enjoy more. I love the adjustability and accuracy of the FX, but the Mrod holds its own in accuracy (after installing a LW barrel) and can easily push much heavier projectiles than the DreamTac. But with the peep sights, it is light and quick, perfect for the field out to 35 yards or so. I like the DreamTac for longer distances, even though I typically shoot lighter pellets with it. I am pleased that my choices in air rifles panned out so well, but I am fairly certain I've spent about the same on both guns, just more aftermarket stuff went on the Mrod while I paid more up front for the DreamTac. Pick your poison.

At the end of the day like mentioned it’s a hobby that you take in any direction you enjoy. I enjoy high end others are ok with anything. Only reason I go high end is my lifestyle doesn’t allow me any time to tune or tinker so I just buy guns that are already ready to go. If things were different I’m sure I’d be in the man cave (i have one in another life) tuning and tinkering. We’re all just here to have fun and send lead or tin.

I used to like the cheaper guns and there still are great guns, the Notos being one. But I prefer higher end guns as well. Set it and forget it guns that are over built. I don't have time anymore to mess with tinkering or tuning like I did when I first got into airguns.

I’ve learned this from my buddies. If you buy a gun, be it $300 or $2,300 and it meets all your needs, cheap vs expensive means nothing. No different than the type of personality that only needs an A to B car vs the personality that needs a 400hp luxury car. If you’re only going A to B in this hobby, quite a few guns will get you there. When it breaks, just get another one. Let the guys with expensive guns go on spin cycle trying to find parts to try to fix theirs.

Well, the day I see a China gun win EBR…. Errr., the day I see a China gun win RMAC or PAC…. Errrr, maybe it’s time to seriously look at China guns?
IMG_0122.jpeg

You guys are all great and gave me a lot to think about and a few laughs along the way......I'm in a position to purchase whatever I want however, I'm not one to let anyone "skin me" because they can.
I own high end springers and the build quality can be readily seen and appreciated and shoot very well. A TX200 is the last one I need to complete the high standard of excellence.

PCP's are a different animal, anything that can hold extreme pressures as all seem to have can't be built with garbage subpar materials. I only own two PCPs, my favorite pigeon slayer is my cheapo PP750. The other one I own is another cheapo JTS Airacuda Standard which is a dream to shoot as well. Like some have mentioned, I need to shoot the best PCPs and see for myself; Easier said than done as no one around here are into airguns. They will all leak sooner or later no matter the brand or price tag. TRUTH!

I'm not apposed to laying out the cash, what I'm apposed to is being "skinned" on marketing BS, warranties and parts that are nonexistent. LOL

I've been a Harley Davidson fan most of my life, always had one in my stable along side a few "metric" bikes as well.......Some folks claim owning a Harley is a lifestyle? For me, Harley has a sole that most can't comprehend. The wind blows thru my hair on all my bikes but, the Harley's always make me grin from ear to ear every single time I hit the road!

Lothar Walther barrels are the ticket? From my understanding, FX are flimsy barrels but easiest to turn into any other FX platform......Daystate are Pretty......Brocock has peaked my interest......All three have there happy followers and are a dream to shoot.

I'm not one to bash anyone's choice, we're all different and what works for some won't work for others. Thanks to all who commented and if you have more to add, I'll be reading!

My CONUNDRUM is still real! HaHaHa

Blessings,
Gary

You guys are all great and gave me a lot to think about and a few laughs along the way......I'm in a position to purchase whatever I want however, I'm not one to let anyone "skin me" because they can.
I own high end springers and the build quality can be readily seen and appreciated and shoot very well. A TX200 is the last one I need to complete the high standard of excellence.

PCP's are a different animal, anything that can hold extreme pressures as all seem to have can't be built with garbage subpar materials. I only own two PCPs, my favorite pigeon slayer is my cheapo PP750. The other one I own is another cheapo JTS Airacuda Standard which is a dream to shoot as well. Like some have mentioned, I need to shoot the best PCPs and see for myself; Easier said than done as no one around here are into airguns. They will all leak sooner or later no matter the brand or price tag. TRUTH!

I'm not apposed to laying out the cash, what I'm apposed to is being "skinned" on marketing BS, warranties and parts that are nonexistent. LOL

I've been a Harley Davidson fan most of my life, always had one in my stable along side a few "metric" bikes as well.......Some folks claim owning a Harley is a lifestyle? For me, Harley has a sole that most can't comprehend. The wind blows thru my hair on all my bikes but, the Harley's always make me grin from ear to ear every single time I hit the road!

Lothar Walther barrels are the ticket? From my understanding, FX are flimsy barrels but easiest to turn into any other FX platform......Daystate are Pretty......Brocock has peaked my interest......All three have there happy followers and are a dream to shoot.

I'm not one to bash anyone's choice, we're all different and what works for some won't work for others. Thanks to all who commented and if you have more to add, I'll be reading!

My CONUNDRUM is still real! HaHaHa

Blessings,
Gary
I think it’s all clear as mud lol. Best thing is buy from a reputable dealer you trust. Make sure parts, service and warranty are available. The rest is easy

The journey is the fun part of this hobby/addiction mostly, but I feel as if I’ve finally reached my destination. Been at this airgun hobby for 10 years now and like to shoot all different priced and types of guns, but definitely have a soft spot for the Eastern European guns. I just noticed one day there was a pattern when the majority of my collection was from Russia, Ukraine and Czech Republic, just outstanding materials and craftsmanship.