• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I got this in the mail today from UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well step one is completed. It has been glued up with west system. No sanding or refinishing done. Yet.

IMG_20220422_2318087082.1650685378.jpg

IMG_20220422_2318213782.1650685404.jpg

Step two involves patching that little divot on the upper left side of the forearm. Here's how:

IMG_20220424_093030565.1650807311.jpg

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I ran a shop that shipped a lot of the parts we made via UPS and FedEx. I drilled into the shipping guys mind that to UPS and FedEx, EVERYTHING is a football. The UPS customer counter that I go to has a view to the “back” and you can watch them throw packages from one conveyor to the next. 

A kid I worked with at a dive shop had a friend that was a baggage handler at CLE. The baggage handlings team mission each day for each person was to completely destroy one piece of luggage just for the fun of it. 

Knowing packages are footballs, I cringe when ordering pellets. I try my darnedest to build a big order and pick up at Pyramyd. 

Randy

Word of advise and sure someone has posted this already but Never, Never, Never!! ship and action mounted in a stock!!!!!!!!!!!!. Remove the action and wrap both independently and lay them side by side in the box with good packing. The box will be shorter and and shifting of the items inside the box (that's what got yours) will be minimalistic.

Only exemption to this rule is a factory box that has the silhouette packing cut out of the gun so keep it from shifting-anything else separate!

Bubble wrap goes a long way. Got a $2000 rifle just after the Christmas season which I didn't want shipped during that time, but you take what you can - looked like UPS dropped the package off a 20 ft ledge. The rifle was shipped in a hard AR-15 style case and strapped in. There was a noticeable dent on the cheek piece, a busted gauge, and one of the buckles on the hard case was discombobulated. The hard AR-15 style case was shipped in a standard brown box. Long story short, the rifle leaks about 10 bar per day and where I live it's been way too cold to even take it out and get into it. This all changes this weekend!

Honestly I think it would be almost worth it to travel and pick it up just to get a perfect rifle if that's what it would take!

Makes me wonder if the shipper damaged it and re-boxed it. Can’t say for sure but in a situation where they knowingly damaged it, their policy may be to just deliver it and let the Claims Process work it’s magic.

I’d make sure the seller has pics of the packaging it arrived in, maybe he can tell if it’s the same box/label.

No way the shipper did THAT kind of damage without destroying the original box.

Hope the damage is limited to just the stock. At least that’s repairable/replaceable...

No way the shipper did THAT kind of damage without destroying the original box.

I'm thinking both the broken stocks in the pictures on the previous page were the result of the box being dropped on the butt end from a not so small height and the weight of the action/barrel landing on the butt splintered the stocks on a weak spot. The Sheridan is pretty old and the stock may have become dry and brittle over time.

View attachment 201290

View attachment 201297

View attachment 201306

I was a little disappointed. Shippers working on getting the insurance payout. That's good of him. The funny thing is the box it was shipped in was pristine and it was very well wrapped and very well protected. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't people that just open those things up and break them out of meanness.

Oh before you ask that's a 5 mm Racine Washington Sheridan 1966.

I pumped up the action five pumps and got 12 foot pounds out of it. It'll make a fine little squirrel rifle when I get the stock rebuilt. I'm getting long in the tooth so I'm glad that it can do that much with those few pumps. I only pumped it up one time to 10 pumps and I couldn't do it again.

What does being alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism, have to do with a damaged stock?
Woke.. isn't that associated with people that dislike guns and the second amendment? And if it isn't it sure feels like it is.

Before this devolves into an argument about politics we need to remember we're not supposed to talk about politics or firearms or religion...

Absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately, some followers of the progressive agenda have differing views of what being WOKE means, and are rabidly anti anything construed as a firearm, or gun shaped, smells like a gun etc.......
I'm not going to comment anymore as I don't see where an airgun site is the proper place for political discussion, and I think that moderation would agree.
I find speculation for who and why to be rather silly; the shipper is responsible and should pay compensation for the damage.

Never had that happen with a rifle, but I sold an old Kawasaki motor back in 2005 that I had rebuilt. Sold it on ebay. I shipped it in a solid, hardwood crate I hand built for the purpose. I could jump on the thing without breaking. Take it to the UPS, they accept it and a few days latter, The motor had arrived WITHOUT THE CRATE! Or at least, it arrived with the base of the crate since the motor was bolted solidly do it. The sides had been completely ripped off. The top of the motor itself had been crushed! The seller refused delivery of course. Of course, I filed a claim but they initially refused because "it wasn't packed sufficiently". When the motor arrived back, I found the sides had been with it. They'd just been shoved back under the motor. I then did two things. I got all the info on ebay, including the pictures I took to show the buyer the packaged product in the crate and then I called UPS and told them that they can either approve my claim, or I can sue them for false insurance claims. I argued that since they're chosen representative, "The UPS Store", had accepted the packed, fully knowing the contents, that they had therefore accepted the condition of the packaging as being adequate. I got a check a few days later.

The pictures do help, showing the condition of the items, but you must also realize, no judge will accept an excuse of "it wasn't packaged right" if the shipper accepted the condition of the package when they accepted the payment. At that point, it is up to the shipper to fulfill their part of the contract. ie, delivering the item, intact and undamaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.