I Got The Green Light

for the HW98 .22 from my wife today and went to order it but it wasn't available anymore.

In the meantime I found an HW35E .22 with "stainless" look or Silver and ordered it without hesitation.

I have the Blue HW35E .22 and both Blue and Silver HW35E .177s and felt the stainless appearance made the HW35 .177 Silver and Walnut a FASTER and longer lasting action than Blued in the .177.

I really don't care what the actual velocity ratings are for this rifle coming now instead of my vaunted HW98 brands in .177, .20, and .25. Some people BOUGHT OUT all HW98s from AOA! So I looked back at the Silver HW35E .22 thinking an HW35E is always a good last fling and instead of completing my set of HW98s I have completed my set of HW35Es in .177 (Silver and Blue) and .22 (Blue and now Silver!).

Well I was on my way retrieving my wallet and credit card and my wife joked, "Going to do it now instead of tomorrow in case I change my mind?

I said, "Yes" and went to order the HW98 .22 and instead decided I've had enough HW98s to toy with and the HW35E to me is always a winning cast.

gratefully put,

John

I just laughed when I hear guys say my wife let me by this or do this...lol

Who wears the pants in the family certainly not you

All my friends who habitually hid purchases from their wives or made major purchases without discussing it first are now divorced. I doubt most men who used the word permission are doing so in the literal sense. Most of it is tongue-in-cheek like the the idiom, the old ball and chain. 

All are good visions but to be honest I've hidden things before leading to divorce on one occasion....

So the HW35E .22 is to be compared with my HW35E Blue .22 that I've had for several years with and without a scope shooting all kinds of .22 pellets and brands. So far the Blue one is still at work making me rethink the idea a "real" target air rifle is .177 and certainly not .22!

What I expect from the Silver Edition (not the Blue) is what I already have in comparison to a Blue .177 and Silver .177 HW35E: The Silver one I got before the blue and yet it has much smoother function with higher velocity than the HW35E Blue .177.

So now, as good as it gets and has been for me to use the old HW35E Blue .22; I already know the nickeled versions of this model are actually more long lasting with consistency with or without joint lubrication. The "silver" steel is actually Ni covered to provide an actually smoother rifling and a smoother unwearing action.

I will see if this holds up with the .22 HW35E "Silver" Walnut version for the first time to compare what I found out about the finish in .177 bore and actions.

for the HW98 .22 from my wife today and went to order it but it wasn't available anymore.

In the meantime I found an HW35E .22 with "stainless" look or Silver and ordered it without hesitation.

I have the Blue HW35E .22 and both Blue and Silver HW35E .177s and felt the stainless appearance made the HW35 .177 Silver and Walnut a FASTER and longer lasting action than Blued in the .177.

I really don't care what the actual velocity ratings are for this rifle coming now instead of my vaunted HW98 brands in .177, .20, and .25. Some people BOUGHT OUT all HW98s from AOA! So I looked back at the Silver HW35E .22 thinking an HW35E is always a good last fling and instead of completing my set of HW98s I have completed my set of HW35Es in .177 (Silver and Blue) and .22 (Blue and now Silver!).

Well I was on my way retrieving my wallet and credit card and my wife joked, "Going to do it now instead of tomorrow in case I change my mind?

I said, "Yes" and went to order the HW98 .22 and instead decided I've had enough HW98s to toy with and the HW35E to me is always a winning cast.

gratefully put,

John

Awesome!!! How solid is the barrel lockup on the hw35e compared to other break barrels? Does the unique latching system make a difference compared to other designs (like the lockup on the hw98 or the hw80)?

gratefully put,

John

Awesome!!! How solid is the barrel lockup on the hw35e compared to other break barrels? Does the unique latching system make a difference compared to other designs (like the lockup on the hw98 or the hw80)?

Yes the HW35 Export in .22 or .177 (only two available calibers) gives about around as much KE as an HW50S; except it is a Walnut Stock and Long Barrel Breaker (HW35E).

Compared to the lightweight HW50S the HW35E is over 8 pounds--for some reason 8.4 lbs total weight sticks in my mind. Most rifle hunters carry a 7.5 lb rifle into the deer country and anything heavier is extra weight.

In the case of the 8.4 lb HW35E you have a LOCKING barrel that locks with a "snick" to assure you the barrel is now perfectly aligned to the receiver even after you fire it--it is locked shut with a "snick" and I'm still using the original breach seals issued with all three of my HW35Es to date. They never break, they never disappoint. They are just not as quite high power as an R9 or HW95 or HW98.

gratefully put,

John

On a new gun, lockup is tight on both guns. The other guns without the thumb lever are just as secure, if not more so, since the locking wedge is in the center. 

One flaw with the design of the lockup on the 35, is that the breech block wedge can wear a groove in the face of the receiver over time. This can be avoided by holding the thumb lever depressed while closing. On the other guns this is obviously a non-issue, just slam it closed and go. Just something to look for if you buy used or are super particular. 

"Some people BOUGHT OUT all HW98s from AOA!" ...the .20 is still there. Just nabbed one now, myself.

@slapahondn convinced me "always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission especially when it comes to toys".

My first HW98 was and is .20 in my rack as the the most solid performing cocking break barrel I have in my entire house as far as "making SURE" the shot is going EXACTLY THERE and not an atom more!

I can now after owning the .25 and .177 HW98s made TODAY with the separating muzzle brake (it unscrews for the new .177 and .25 but no such thing for my earlier version .20 HW98) that all three models are working (harder than most other rifles around here because they are all vaults and properly built to never skimp on solid absolute integrity in worksmanship and METAL!) to date.

I did a stupid thing thing a year ago when I had stood up my only HW98 (the .20 and the first) with Diana Zero Recoil Mounts and Vortex Diamondback sighted in along a "wall" instead of a corner and the rifle fell flat onto our hardwood floor (Acacia Wood of all things but it is the hardest)!

The slammed and "fallen HW98 .20" still shot to the same zero minutes or seconds after the fall. And not a mark was on either rifle, mount, rings, or scope.

That THAT was when I realized HW98 is a STRONG and RELIABLE rifle.

And SO IS THE HW35E!!!!

The HW35E .22 Silver/Walnut arrived about 2 hours ago!

I immediately tried to replace the cog front sight with the bead sight and couldn't do it with finger torque so I decided to shoot anyway with the cog front sight and see where groups were going!

It was low and right and I am still in the process of giving those "final clicks" on the Excellent HW rear sights to "Dial In" exactly where I want the .22 pellet to go!

It is important to sight in your new rifle with its own installed sights before you think about mounts, rings, scope et al.

So now I am seeing consistency as I adjust the rear sight up and left away from how it came out of the box.

I figure those guys and gals at AOA who take the customary MV velocity or 20 yard velocity of whatever pellet they shot in it.

So here are the chronographed figures from Airguns of Arizona for my HW35 E .22 with serial number 2331709 preceded by "USA" :

0584-01-0587

0580-02-0585

0579-03-0582

0583-04-0587

0583-05-0589

---------------------------------------------------------------

05-0589-+

05-0582--

05-0007-T

05-0586-M

05-0002-S

So their .22 JSB Exact Express 14.35gr seems already a good pellet on chrono consistency and such. When shooting this rifle with average .22 pellet velocity at 20 yards with JSB Express I can copy but did not.

Instead, I shot .22 Field Target Trophy 14.66gr at 25 yards to sight in offhand as usual. I always say learn to shoot your own rifle offhand before finding sandbags and bench rests and forked branches or a top hat on anything. Shoot the rifle offhand as close as YOU need to see those iron sights and after that consider your scope choices and rings and mount choices.

However;

And furthermore;

However most realized with anyone owning the HW35E it is heavier than a basic training rifle and it is very dependent upon a GOOD trigger YOU do NOT have to adjust at all and so is the case with this brand new silver HW 35E.

Alright when it arrived inside TWO serious constructed and padded rifle boxes all paperwork was the box even about the velocity chronograph numbers and no doubling of HW manuals AT ALL and NO plastic bag to have to pull it "out" of.

It came ready to shoot and without looking at the paper I tightened the stock screws and then "greased" the high tensile requirement areas with SG3.

Some of that stuff rubbed off on the Walnut and actually made the Walnut Wood look better.

I got my "last" rifle by permission from my wife and I will honor it making this HW35E .22 Silver (last of 4 in my collection; I have the blue and Silver .177 already and the .22 Blue only (and that one needed a silver one beside it!)

Yeah I'm happy.

It was raining when I had to stop sighting in and so I stepped inside out of the rain still shooting and adjusting and my wife didn't hear anything like an air rifle going off.

It is extremely SILENT and SMOOTH in operation........

more later in hot sunny weather instead of this tropical storm stuff!

Kindly,

John

What matters now after shooting only the 14.66gr HNs over time with the installed "cog tooth" front sight with the "u" notch rear was WAY off for my eyes and I was able to replace the front sight inserts YESTERDAY with the tightest finger turning assisted by a dry wash cloth to FINALLY re-insert THE ONLY SIGHTS the HW35E should have in front to fit the "notch": the BEAD! The Only Bead in the HW insert package they stamp out.

Never use ANYTHING but the U notch rear and "the BEAD" front sight insert from HW.

As soon as I got the bead insert in to the front sight (very very stiff and tight to rotate the knurled knob) my HW35 E .22 Silver / Walnut was shooting predictable as I moved the HW sights around to make sure.

I finally got the thing sighted in offhand at 20 yards to hit one inch above the bead in the u notch and there it is.

However; what confuses me is how the rear sight on this rifle is adjusted far LEFT of CENTER to accommodate windage.

I am still checking into this today.