I got my Western Airguns Sidewinder back from repair service.

So, after a horrendous start with the Sidewinder, I had to send it back to AOA due to a faulty CF Bottle/ O-ring, it came back today and I had time to shoot 3 mags.
The thing is accurate and powerful, it shoots .30 Cal 44.7gr JSB pellets at 930FPS with the reg at slightly less than 150 bar. The spread is less than an inch at 50 yards and the mag cycles with no issue. The only cons I see so far is that the gun is really loud, too loud for backyard plinking, and the stock baffle/shroud is proprietary, I have a 0db 160 suppressor and it doesn't fit the barrel, also I don't like the lack of real estate to attach my red dot, 5x magnifier and a Dbal D2 and flashlight. The mag costs $150 apiece and is a total pain in the ass to insert. The gun shoots well, but it doesn't have the premium feel as an FX gun can have.

Last edited:
Sung,
What do you mean the 0db doesn't fit the barrel? Doesn't the Sidewinder have threads for a moderator? Too loud for backyard and no easy way to attach a moderator is a deal killer for me. WM
Most airguns have a standard airgun 1/2" UNF barrel thread and when I disassembled the baffle/shroud off my gun to try a 0db 160 Suppressor, which has a standard airgun 1/2" UNF female thread, it just would not fit. It would fit only just at the tip and not get any further in. So, with just a tiny bit of the barrel inserted in the 0db suppressor, I have dry-fired, and I can confirm that it does lower significantly the bark. Take a look at the picture of my gun without the baffle/shroud assembly that is proprietary to this gun. Do I regret buying this gun? No, it shoots great and it is a fun airgun. It has some flaws but in overall it is a great gun.

20230307_081253.jpg

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
yeah my .22 was surprisingly loud for having a full shroud and can on the end.

I also agree with premium feel. Feels more like a lego kit bolted together than a refined piece of kit like my huben, daystate, or the FX's I have owned before.
Also, powerful, accurate, and fun! I didn't have any problems putting on a scope on top, and flashlight on one side and a green laser on the other...was planning to ruin some coyote's day with it if they creep too close at night...

Reactions: Sung
Well, if a .22 is loud you can imagine how loud a .30 Cal can be. As for the real estate, putting an optic, be it a red dot and magnifier combo or a big ass scope, is absolutely not a problem but I like to have the flashlight and IR illuminator and flashlight as close to the muzzle as possible in order to avoid black spots created by the shadow of the suppressor. And that is not possible with the Sidewinder because there is no handguard. For example, take a look at how I set up my Leshiy 2.

20230208_144550.jpg

Last edited:
Well, if a .22 is loud you can imagine how loud a .30 Cal can be. As for the real estate, there is no problem putting an optic, be it a red dot and magnifier combo or a big ass scope, is absolutely not a problem but I like to have the flashlight and IR illuminator and flashlight as close to the muzzle as possible in order to avoid black spots created by the shadow of the suppressor. And that is not possible with the Sidewinder because there is no handguard. For example, take a look at how I set up my Leshiy 2.

View attachment 343854
That thing is TactiCOOL!!!

Well, if a .22 is loud you can imagine how loud a .30 Cal can be. As for the real estate, putting an optic, be it a red dot and magnifier combo or a big ass scope, is absolutely not a problem but I like to have the flashlight and IR illuminator and flashlight as close to the muzzle as possible in order to avoid black spots created by the shadow of the suppressor. And that is not possible with the Sidewinder because there is no handguard. For example, take a look at how I set up my Leshiy 2.

View attachment 343854
I think you need some more accessories 😁.

Bottle based rifles have less real estate in general for mounting unless of course they have parallel rails (more weight) or a clamp. The pic rail on the bottom of the sidewinder can be extended with a pair of 1" scope rings (picatinny top) and a 1" CF tube. Orion the Iguana hunter did a video on this method a while back. That would allow you to place your bipod further out or your tactikool accessories out there.

Reactions: Sung and tibor
Most airguns have a standard airgun 1/2" UNF barrel thread and when I disassembled the baffle/shroud off my gun to try a 0db 160 Suppressor, which has a standard airgun 1/2" UNF female thread, it just would not fit. It would fit only just at the tip and not get any further in. So, with just a tiny bit of the barrel inserted in the 0db suppressor, I have dry-fired, and I can confirm that it does lower significantly the bark. Take a look at the picture of my gun without the baffle/shroud assembly that is proprietary to this gun. Do I regret buying this gun? No, it shoots great and it is a fun airgun. It has some flaws but in overall it is a great gun.

View attachment 343832
Sung,
OK, think I understand, more like a Taipan Veteran than an AGT or FX with thread protectors that can be switched with moderators. I suspect DonnyFL, or similar, will come out with a replacement endcap, or adapter, for moderator use. WM

Sung,
OK, think I understand, more like a Taipan Veteran than an AGT or FX with thread protectors that can be switched with moderators. I suspect DonnyFL, or similar, will come out with a replacement endcap, or adapter, for moderator use. WM
I have contacted DonnyFL but they got into some kinda trouble so they told me that until further notice they will not ship any suppressors within the US. And AOA said that there is no after market solution for now.

I have contacted DonnyFL but they got into some kinda trouble so they told me that until further notice they will not ship any suppressors within the US. And AOA said that there is no after market solution for now.
Sung,
Yeah, and that's the rub with a new model, takes time for the aftermarket to come up with solutions. I guess, from a business sense, it's best to determine the popularity of a product before investing time and money in aftermarket parts. WM

I think you need some more accessories 😁.

Bottle based rifles have less real estate in general for mounting unless of course they have parallel rails (more weight) or a clamp. The pic rail on the bottom of the sidewinder can be extended with a pair of 1" scope rings (picatinny top) and a 1" CF tube. Orion the Iguana hunter did a video on this method a while back. That would allow you to place your bipod further out or your tactikool accessories out there.
LOL! It kinda looks busy but everything on that L2 serves a purpose. I set up my close quarter guns so that I can have some night time fun and for that I use a red dot paired with a magnifier because it is so much faster than an LPVO, and I use an IR illuminator and flashlight combo that allows me to play in the dark and that is really sooooo fun.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
LOL! It kinda looks busy but everything on that L2 serves a purpose. I set up my close quarter guns so that I can have some night time fun and for that I use a red dot paired with a magnifier because it is so much faster than an LPVO, and I use an IR illuminator and flashlight combo that allows me to play in the dark and that is really sooooo fun.
Awesome. Getting rats?

Do you bait them in or do they just come naturally? If you ever take photos or videos post them. Love seeing that stuff.

Kind regards, Atlas
No, I don't bait them, I mostly shoot the numerous targets that I have installed in my backyard after putting my kids to sleep and pest control opportunities present themselves. As for filming I have an ATN X-Sight scope that allows me to see and film night and day so I might do that.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
So, after a horrendous start with the Sidewinder, I had to send it back to AOA due to a faulty CF Bottle/ O-ring, it came back today and I had time to shoot 3 mags.
The thing is accurate and powerful, it shoots .30 Cal 44.7gr JSB pellets at 930FPS with the reg at slightly less than 150 bar. The spread is less than an inch at 50 yards and the mag cycles with no issue. The only cons I see so far is that the gun is really loud, too loud for backyard plinking, and the stock baffle/shroud is proprietary, I have a 0db 160 suppressor and it doesn't fit the barrel, also I don't like the lack of real estate to attach my red dot, 5x magnifier and a Dbal D2 and flashlight. The mag costs $150 apiece and is a total pain in the ass to insert. The gun shoots well, but it doesn't have the premium feel as an FX gun can have.
Donny FL makes a adapter to fit a moderator on the sidewinder. Palm Beach Airguns sales them also $60

It still takes a big moderator to quiet the 30 cal down. I use a Ronin with the extender. It adds a foot to the length but takes the bark out of the PCP.