• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I got my first coyote that wasn't in a trap! Panthera Hunter Compact .30 was R U T H L E S S

Well, boiz, like the title says - I got my first coyote in a hunting scenario rather than just shooting them in the head while they're in one of my foothold traps. Coyotes are such ninjas that about 13 years ago when they killed my cat I got so tired of unsuccessfully hunting them with rifles that I learned to set foothold traps. Trapping is an art in itself, but I always wanted to have the accomplishment of actually shooting a coyote in its environment with a rifle. And that is exactly what I did last night.

1702173799018.png

So basically the homie Erik got a rabbit that night, & cleaned him for the freezer. That obviously put rabbit scent everywhere. We were then playing around shooting mice with thermals and I had my NODs (PVS-14, Gen3 WP with a super high FOM) on. Saw the neighbor like 3 doors down (250 yards?) shining a flashlight around like he was looking for something. Heard a few airgun shots. Maybe he shot at this (or another) coyote? Anyway Erik was about to leave so we took a jaunt through the forest and saw 2 rabbits, which got a pass since we didn't feel like skinning 'em. Then Erik noticed another critter in the long grass using his thermal (Infiray phone attachment https://amzn.to/49ynxA7 ). I walked out into the path and there was a coyote just standing tall, sniffing the air. With black hot mode on my ATN Thor 4 he stood out like none other! Time went into slow motion. I took a standing offhand headshot at him at 50 or 60 yards. Straight down. The Panthera Hunter Compact .30 sent that Hybrid slug right into the back of his brain. He was doing a bit of a death waggle on the ground so Erik and I both just started dumping on him. Had I not been so excited I maybe would have thought about the pelt and maybe not allowed us to riddle him with holes...lol

Here are some more pics. He was a huge coyote. Probably about 50 lbs and 50" from snout to tail:

1702174259310.png

1702174299779.png

1702174326625.png

1702174392535.png

1702174428317.png

EDIT: I did shoot one with the .22 Maverick about 2 years ago but he was across the river and I didn't recover him. I am pretty sure the went down, but not 100%. So to me that is not a confirmed kill, whereas this is 100000000% confirmed! Haha

Last edited:
@AirShootist Impressive. Do you have any recorded footage from your Thor?
Nah bro.... my adrenaline skyrocketed and I just shot. Time kinda went slow but also super fast at the same time. Weird feeling. Pressed record after the initial shot to capture the follow up shots but it's kinda brutal so I'm likely not gonna post it anywhere.

But as a consolation prize, check this out:

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Well, boiz, like the title says - I got my first coyote in a hunting scenario rather than just shooting them in the head while they're in one of my foothold traps. Coyotes are such ninjas that about 13 years ago when they killed my cat I got so tired of unsuccessfully hunting them with rifles that I learned to set foothold traps. Trapping is an art in itself, but I always wanted to have the accomplishment of actually shooting a coyote in its environment with a rifle. And that is exactly what I did last night.

View attachment 414129

So basically the homie Erik got a rabbit that night, & cleaned him for the freezer. That obviously put rabbit scent everywhere. We were then playing around shooting mice with thermals and I had my NODs (PVS-14, Gen3 WP with a super high FOM) on. Saw the neighbor like 3 doors down (250 yards?) shining a flashlight around like he was looking for something. Heard a few airgun shots. Maybe he shot at this (or another) coyote? Anyway Erik was about to leave so we took a jaunt through the forest and saw 2 rabbits, which got a pass since we didn't feel like skinning 'em. Then Erik noticed another critter in the long grass using his thermal (Infiray phone attachment https://amzn.to/49ynxA7 ). I walked out into the path and there was a coyote just standing tall, sniffing the air. With black hot mode on my ATN Thor 4 he stood out like none other! Time went into slow motion. I took a standing offhand headshot at him at 50 or 60 yards. Straight down. The Panthera Hunter Compact .30 sent that Hybrid slug right into the back of his brain. He was doing a bit of a death waggle on the ground so Erik and I both just started dumping on him. Had I not been so excited I maybe would have thought about the pelt and maybe not allowed us to riddle him with holes...lol

Here are some more pics. He was a huge coyote. Probably about 50 lbs and 50" from snout to tail:

View attachment 414130

View attachment 414131

View attachment 414132

View attachment 414133

View attachment 414134
Exellent !!

Reactions: AirShootist
Thanks for all the support and nice comments, frenz! This was actually a pretty big accomplishment for me that I was very proud of, so you guys reinforcing that means a lot to me.

I'll be strapping on the NODs and trying again this weekend and many weekends this winter. Next time maybe I'll have the wits enough to turn the damn recording on! o_O

Reactions: wolfdog
I made this short that might be helpful for anyone trying to do a similar Panthera setup with the ATN scope:
The configuration of your FX Panthera Compact Hunter .30 Cal is, in my opinion, the perfect one for a .30 Cal air rifle:

Short, accurate, powerful and a lot of shots per fill.

I am tempted to buy one with that exact configuration.

• Love
Reactions: AirShootist
The configuration of your FX Panthera Compact Hunter .30 Cal is, in my opinion, the perfect one for a .30 Cal air rifle:

Short, accurate, powerful and a lot of shots per fill.

I am tempted to buy one with that exact configuration.
Great minds think alike, I guess! :cool:

For this purpose before, I had a perfectly tuned .30 Maverick that was pushing 100fpe, but I've since given that to my cousin so I could test out the .30 Pcat HC. I kinda took a gamble letting that Maverick go in favor of this untested idea with the Pcat .30 HC. However I think this little rifle really is the perfect configuration for coyote hunting.

I get at least (2) 13rd mags out of it even with it set at 175 bar. Right now I am using the 8rd Orion mags to clear the cantilever mount on the ATN scope, as mentioned above. About the tune, I have a video on my channel that shows how I set it up. It required the Huma 14.5g hammer weight. My tune is really consistent and the gun even stays the same velocity in super cold weather - which is pretty damn impressive. I think the short impulse valve and larger transfer port help it be a good cold weather airgun. The Maverick was OK but in extreme cold the velocity was a bit squirrely. So far I am not really seeing that with the Panthera.

If you end up snagging one, talk to Tom at High Pressure Pneumatics. That is where I got mine and he leak tests all his guns for several days before they go out which is nice. Link in my signature. Tell him I sent ya! ;)